Thread: Sweboz are a terrible enemy....

Meraun's Avatar Decanus

Default Sweboz are a terrible enemy....

i play vh/h with Romani. Everthing was going great, i took Sicilia, every island between spain an itlay.
    Every northern-italian province and i siege the last lustiani castle right now.
    So i controll pretty much all of Spain.

So far i didn't have a lot of problems in battles. Averni, Aedui, Karthago, lustiani and the makedons lost most of the battles against me. (Execpt Lustiani can be ).

But a few turns ago, the sweboz conquerd a province right above italy (Aventicos). And since then, they have been attack me without a break. that woudn't be a problem, but i usually lose a regular battle against them!(full stack vs. full stack) i dont no why,.. i' woud call myself a pretty exprienced TW player since i play the TW series since Day one and i haven't missed a single game.

I flank them with inf and cav.. and all the other tactis wich usually work.. but not against them...

just yesterday a barly won against a full stack.. i had to use two of my own full stacks!! (and i lost one)

So how come taht the sweboz are so much stronger than all the other enemys i faced so far?

is taht on purpose? (maybe b'cause Rome wasn't able to take them down in history?)

Default Re: Sweboz are a terrible enemy....

- Are you playing on Medium battle difficulty?
    - Suebi generally have very decent morale and high attack, defence skill and stamina. Also, their clubmen can cause heavy losses among your armoured troops. Here's a pointer: use missiles as much as realistic gameplay allows (Kretan archer full stack is for losers, but one or two units of them in a full stack is very reasonable), and never ever let your cavalry get entangled in close combat against any Germanic troops. Use your cavalry for harassing (with missiles) and charging the enemy, as is their original purpose. Also, you might want to have some high lethality swordsmen, in order to beat them at their own game. For example, Gallic mercenary swordsmen (they need to be backed up by Roman troops though because their morale isn't all that great).

Also, you're probably in for a nasty surprise when you fight the Dacians.

Meraun's Avatar Decanus

i play hard battle dfficulty..

Thx for the help. those clubmen slaughter my Principes. So far i do not have any mercenaries or Bowmen in my armies. (only to fill up the ranks) But i will
    change that.

I made good expierence with the harassing too. guess i'm just not used to lose heavy inf battle against anyone! ;-) well i learnd something..

Will try it out!

Indefinitely Banned

Having battle difficulty at anything else than normal messes up the stats. SInce you play with hard, the enemy get's boosts to their unit stats.

Quote Originally Posted by scutarilegion View Post
    Having battle difficulty at anything else than normal messes up the stats. SInce you play with hard, the enemy get's boosts to their unit stats.
    But he had no such problems fighting the Gauls and Iberians he says. You're right with stats being unbalanced due to the +4 attack for the AI with hard battles though.

@Meraun
    The Sweboz have quite a few sword units with 0.225 lethality compared to the 0.13 of normal swords the Princeps for example use (their two-handed swordsmen even have 0.26/0.285 + ap iirc). Also a good deal of infantry units get a bonus (or less malus if armoured) fighting in woods in contrast to most Roman troops. Same for the Gallic factions/troops as well though, but not as much.
    Perhaps that's part of the 'problem'. Btw... I've made a neat unit info mod for EB1.2 that might help a little to handle the Sweboz in battles; the link is in my signature.

Also, the sweboz have a very high morale.

Libertus

Having won a campaign with the Romani on H/H (harumph), I can say that Hard battle difficulty is challenging but hardly (pun intended) impossible. Even beat four or five stacks of uber-barbs in that province (forget which) northeast of Italy. You just gotta take advantage of anything that comes your way, like charging enemy generals, terrain, flanking opportunities, etc. Plus once the Roman economy gears up, recruiting full stacks--along with some quad- and quinquiremes for transporting armies to North Africa and Egypt--is no great challenge.

So how come Meraun has so much trouble with the Sweboz? I dunno; the Sauromatae, with their armored horse archers, were my bugaboo. Couldn't win a battle unless I had at least two to one odds. I'd suggest using more skirmishers (Velites and such) and an archer or two, as Athanaric advises, to cut them Sweboz down to size. Have fun!
    Last edited by Jive; December 10, 2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: pun alert