Thread: Portuguese Tanegashima Mercenary Hero

scope2007's Avatar Civis

Default Portuguese Tanegashima Mercenary Hero

On request from Kensai of the totalwar.com forums, I have been working on a Portuguese Matchlock Hero unit for Christian converted factions... And I am done.

This is effectively a Sniper unit, small numbers with the ability to walk while hiding and also to shoot while hidden.

I created this mod after getting inspiration from Kensai on the totalwar.com forums to create a European matchlock hero unit. The first consensus was that it should have unprecedented range, accuracy and reload skill. However after a lot of testing, it didn't seem to be that much more useful than a Matchlock Samurai unit. Colonel Mallard of the totalwar.com forums suggested making them a sniper unit - afterall they are mercenaries / pirates pretty much. So the idea was to give the unit Kisho training and the ability to fire while hidden.

They are rather unique - the only other unit like this, would be the Bandits although they have nowhere near the range and power of this unit, and if kept at range remain undetected until an enemy unit come too close.
    The Unit requires a "Nanban Quarter" (so requires conversion to Christianity), and the Level 4 Siege building the "Arsenal".

Reloading speed is quicker than any other matchlock unit, so rate of fire is good, however rapid fire has been thrown in as an ability for when that extra few shots are needed (i.e when discovered and your being charged).
    The unit is not capable of melee, and will be wiped out in mere seconds when charged by cavalry or samurai.
    The unit is best used by attacking the flank or rear or a unit, and whittling away the numbers - keeping them at range so that they are not noticed.

V.1.0 - 15/12/2011
    First release.
    Added "Portuguese Matchlock Mercenaries" to Singleplayer campaign, sniper unit can fire while hidden, kisho training.
    Used European Sailor model from black ship.
    Created Custom Icons and unit cards.
    Created Custom Encyclopedia Entry which can be accessed in game by right clicking unit (Note: This is completely safe and does not edit or overwrite your standard vanilla encyclopedia).

Download Mirrors (updated 19/02/2012):

File is now attached to main post - so will be hosted by TWCenter for as long as they allow. Alternate download links:

Filefont Download Mirror: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21089...+Mercs+mod.zip

4Shared.com Mirror: http://www.4shared.com/zip/Qs7-wcRu/...l?refurl=d1url

Megaupload link has been taken down, as the FBI in its quest to police the internet have seized megaupload due to abuse by its users for piracy use. Intead of pursuing the guilty parties - it seems the FBI think it more efficient to close the entire website down - lazy if you ask me - to punish all for the actions of the few.

While the TECenter attachement below should remain reliable, I will check the download links periodically to ensure the mod is readilly available (please also report dead links in the thread or by PM if you notice them )
    Last edited by scope2007; February 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM.

ShimazuClan's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Portuguese Tanegashima Mercenary Hero

Oh good job, but I much rather prefer them on the ground.
    The Shimazu Clan has conquered this spot.

scope2007's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by ShimazuClan View Post
    Oh good job, but I much rather prefer them on the ground.
    Yeah don't worry, they will be on foot. The unit in the picture is just a test unit I use for testing models - it was an example to show that I have located the european sailor model.

There is currently a thread over on the totalwar.com forums, theres quite a discussion brewing over what stats the unit should have.

The current consensus is that the unit should have unprecendented accuracy, damage and reload times, range should be high but not superhuman i.e - bow range.

Fire by rank is a given, but the ability to fire while hiding is still under consideration - Kisho training would have to an ability for this to work most likely - and for foreigners in japan this might be a bit of a stretch.

scope2007's Avatar Civis

Quick update,

First of all, thanks again for all the kind words regarding the Ninja Hero, I am glad to see it is being enjoyed by so many and now I know my many hours of slaving over DB tables and constantly loading up the game - was not in vain

Work continues on the Matchlock Merc's - albeit slowly as I have had quite a lethal bout of 'man-flu', for the last few days and have been wrapped up on the couch with a hot lemon drink and the missus waiting on me 'hand and foot', most of the time!

I am looking to make the unit slightly higher ranged than the average matchlock to simulate the unit having matchlocks of higher-quality. The problem with this is that changing the range that a unit can shoot is no easy task in shogun 2. The range is not determined by the unit, but by the projectiles themselves. Going on to create a new projectile with a custom range looks quite tiresome - but there may be hope yet.

There is an entry for matchlock projectiles - which are supposed to be used for naval battles only, as they have a range of 180 - due to the scaling of naval units. This is a SUPER-HUMAN range for matchlocks, considering all other matchlock units have a range of only 100. But I have a plan.

See, I could make this just another matchlock unit with high firing rate and reload times, but in every other aspect they would be unremarkable. Due to the friendly-fire factor of matchlock units, they now have limited use - one or two barrages before they join melee, so this unit may not make much more difference than matchlock samurai.

Or I could try make the unit 10 men, give them 180 range, kisho training, and fire while hidden. Effectively making a sniper unit - which is very unique to this game, if not radical. The ability to make a few more shots before being joined in melee, and the aspect of surprise - Could be a lot of fun!

Before I do anything drastic, I would really like to hear what you all think. Modern sniping had not yet been established in the 16th century due to the limited range and accuracy of matchlock guns so there is possible contradiction of history. However I am all for bending a few rules in favor of fun over historical accuracy. If this would be stepping on the toes of too many people however I would look into making a custom range of about 120.

Either way, I will experement with all options -

Feedback required.

GL on this. Can't wait to try it out.

scope2007's Avatar Civis

Just a quick update with some screenshots

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59...D90AE5C1C58B1/

First screenshot shows the extensive range these badboys have over other matchlock units (165 instead of the standard 100), and you might notice that they are firing while hidden The careless General could have his flanks picked off from afar if he isn't watching

However, that is pretty much the extent of thier hidden radius. Another 5 meters or so forward and the matchlock samurai they were shooting at spotted them.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59...74EDB7E36FA5D/

Second screeny just gives a higher view of the same screen, to show how wide the killing zone is for thier line of fire.

Still balance testing and making minor tweaks, but it is likely that Im going to stick with a 10 man max unit, and give or take a few metres on the range. Ammunition wise, to make up for the small unit these guys are loaded up on ammo Afterall they will have no melee capabilities so I dont want them to become useless too soon

WOAH. Thats some range. But no picture and only 8 people?

looks interesting. I like the idea of the sniper type more because since its a hero units have a large number would not make sense. Maybe give it a higher speed instead of stealth? so they can skirmish better and still be able to get of couple shots before running.

Cool. I'm going to try it out.

AUG351's Avatar Tiro

Looks great I'll try it, but also would it be possible to make it so you can have the option to make them crouch while shooting while not hidden like the rankfire option like how they look when they are hidden?
    Last edited by AUG351; December 21, 2011 at 02:17 AM.

can i request an Onna Bushi heroine that uses bow/naginata pretty please. Been tinkering around with the pfm, not quite sure where i go wrong :S.
    「戦場廻り、運命決まり、生死しらない」

+1 rep. Gotta give it a good try plus radious unit pack (nanban matchlock mercenaries) as soon as I get a bit less busy.

I'm going to have to request a normal portuguese musket platoon! you know so i can pretend I'm invading japan anyway love the mod.
    Support Videogamesplus.ca where you can find all those hard to find games!