Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warhounds.

Default Warhounds.

Was wondering if warhounds would be possible as a unit in TATW? Not only possible but what factions would have them and what breeds of dog would it be? lore wise, did any region use hounds in war? Any info on this would be apreeciated just overall curious about the subject but think it could make a good discussion. Any ideas/info?

Default Re: Warhounds.

Well, the elves did use Wolfhounds, but they were less for combat and more for hunting, though some did fight against Wargs, and Huan brought Sauron to his knees.

Please rep me for my posts, not for the fact that i have a Pony as an Avatar.

Was huan a wolfhound? He was a legendary dog right? Like gifted in size or strength right? Sorry my lore is very rusty

Yeah, he was a Wolfhound, who was a gift to one of the Noldor (i forget exactly who) from Orome himself.

Huan wasn't exactly you average "dog". More like a wolf-god or something. Huan is to dogs/hounds what Sleipnir is to horses or Fenrir is to wolves.

Naturally dogs did exist in ME just cats, rats, chickens and many other commonly known animals. It's also reasonable to assume they were used pretty much the same way as irl, hunting, guarding, companionship, etc.

I don't, however, recall them being used in war on a large scale a la Mabari in Dragon Age. Only wolves/wargs are noted for such activities.

Hmmm was there ever a "good" warg? Like fought for the free men or elves?

Nah, a warg, pretty much like an orc, is automatically on the evil side. It's believed that wargs are descended from werewolves (or that "devil wolf" thing from the Silmarilion, forgot the name) going back to the 1st age.

Unlike wargs who had their own language and a higher form of intelligence, wolves are just wolves, the same animals we have today. Supposedly the "goblins" tamed and rode them but that's it. Wolves aren't suitable mounts for men or elves and taming and training them for war wasn't something they would do.

It is said that during the War of the Last Alliance every creature in ME (including animals) stood divided and fought either on the side of good or evil so its quite possible that canine combatants participated in those events. No special mention is made though.

Thank you for enlightening me really thought the good side would get some kind of beast help minus horses

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

There are the giant eagles, but a bit hard to make for TATW.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Nah, a warg, pretty much like an orc, is automatically on the evil side. It's believed that wargs are descended from werewolves (or that "devil wolf" thing from the Silmarilion, forgot the name) going back to the 1st age.
    That would be Carcharoth, guardian of the gates of Angband.

Quote Originally Posted by Hercules18 View Post
    Thank you for enlightening me really thought the good side would get some kind of beast help minus horses
    As was mentioned above, an army of Great Eagles did participate in the Battle of Five Armies.

Radagast and Beorn were both close friends of animals, and were on the side of good. Although they didn't really form any sort of organized fighting force.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Check out PCP in the submods section, there are lots of new cool creatures
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

2-D Ron's Avatar Campidoctor

I recall the Orcs used them when the Dwarves and Bilbo escaped the Mountains in the Hobbit; They climbed up trees to escape them.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Not used, but they where a force of their own. The orcs of MM and wargs used eachother to hunt the "brave men" who lived east of the MM

wolfhound unit as merc would be awesome maybe around elf regions? Anyone know how big the wolfhounds were? Thinking it might be possible to use the warg as a starting point

wolfhound unit as merc would be awesome maybe around elf regions? Anyone know how big the wolfhounds were? Thinking it might be possible to use the warg as a starting point
    Sadly wolves don't find money/gold to be very tasty or even edible. Maybe bribe them with some sheep?

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Such units would fit Orcs more that Elves. As Ron mentioned, Wolves were quite a serious force to be reckoned with, though them talking is obviously a childish fairy tale side of Hobbit, so I don't think they operated on their own
    Best way to represent them is Goblin Wolf Tamers unit or smth like that

What about huan? he was a wolf hound, I know he was the best but there had to be others like him?

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

He was a hound-god more than a wolf hound

...but there had to be others like him?
    There weren't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast