Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warhounds.

Default Re: Warhounds.

Well that's just to bad I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Hercules18 View Post
    Well that's just to bad I guess
    If you want wardogs, just add them in. There is already a dog unit in the vanilla TATW files, you just have to give it ownership to whichever faction and make it recruitable from whatever building you want. Or make a new building called dog kennels and make the replenishment high. The only peoples that actually trained dogs as units for the battlefield were the Romans, and they used them sparingly. Most other cultures used them mostly as scouts, guards, etc. but did use them in battle when necessary (to little effect). Britannia had Bull Mastiffs that were not trained for battles, but used them due to their size and strength to good effect against other puny dogs of the day, even the large Roman variety.

Personally I don't think the unit fits too well, and there are only few mentions in real life, but it is probably more realistic for Eriador (who shouldn't really even be a faction) to have them for a protection/defensive unit than anyone else. Just make them a rare unit and it shouldn't be a big deal. It is not that no one ever used them, it is that they were not trained or used specifically for battle, which means not on a great scale. So one or two units per full stack should work fine if you really want them.

Large groups of different sized bears did help the Beornings and Woodsmen in the Vales of Anduin, and fought battles with them against Wargs and Orcs. And the Great Eagles helped a few times of course.

Here is a link to my work, I added pretty much everything there is in terms of viable creatures in ME. Even bears and eagles. Not wardogs though .
    Last edited by alreadyded; December 08, 2011 at 05:20 PM.

Eohelm's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    If you want wardogs, just add them in. There is already a dog unit in the vanilla TATW files, you just have to give it ownership to whichever faction and make it recruitable from whatever building you want. Or make a new building called dog kennels and make the replenishment high. The only peoples that actually trained dogs as units for the battlefield were the Romans, and they used them sparingly. Most other cultures used them mostly as scouts, guards, etc. but did use them in battle when necessary (to little effect). Britannia had Bull Mastiffs that were not trained for battles, but used them due to their size and strength to good effect against other puny dogs of the day, even the large Roman variety.

Personally I don't think the unit fits too well, and there are only few mentions in real life, but it is probably more realistic for Eriador (who shouldn't really even be a faction) to have them for a protection/defensive unit than anyone else. Just make them a rare unit and it shouldn't be a big deal. It is not that no one ever used them, it is that they were not trained or used specifically for battle, which means not on a great scale. So one or two units per full stack should work fine if you really want them.

Large groups of different sized bears did help the Beornings and Woodsmen in the Vales of Anduin, and fought battles with them against Wargs and Orcs. And the Great Eagles helped a few times of course.

Here is a link to my work, I added pretty much everything there is in terms of viable creatures in ME. Even bears and eagles. Not wardogs though .

It isn't everyday that something this cool/helpful pops out of a thread on just speculation and lore-questions. +rep for helpfulness and effort, mate. This is cool.
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath."

Thinking more into it, it would make complete sense for an Eriador unit. Eriador has lots of wolves, which means the people living there would want to have lots of dogs for warning and protection. Plus you have raiding Orcs and all manner of shady folk... so guard dogs would be very desirable and in no short supply to those peoples. But like I said, they shouldn't be the backbone of your army, just a rare side unit to throw into the mix. Kinda like the Hobbits I guess. I am guessing KK was planning to do just that, which is why the wardogs are already in. In a way it will be more lore accurate than most of the other Eriador units. Maybe AOR only in Bree? I think I might add something like that in my mod .
    Last edited by alreadyded; December 08, 2011 at 08:11 PM.

That would be amazing!!!! I loved the war dogs in Rome total war, like you said mostly as a side unit, they were great at chasing fleeing enemys down. Perhaps fleeing Orcs!!!
    Last edited by Hercules18; December 09, 2011 at 04:50 AM.

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Hercules18 View Post
    I loved the war digs in Rome
    War digs? Is that war pig/war dog hybrid?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarven Berserker View Post
    War digs? Is that war pig/war dog hybrid?
    haha my bad was typing in a hurry.....my check too see if 3.0 was released alarm went off

Baron Samedi's Avatar Citizen

Here is the dog unit alreadyded was referring to. Warning: they have a pointy nose though :

Under the patronage of MasterBigAb

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Rhino-dogs is the killer in ME

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Enarec's Avatar Senator

Dogs with a birds beak

I quite like them, though.

Don't quite understand the pointy nose but I think they could be a great addition with alittle work

I used my wolf models and animations to make Wolfhounds. Descendants of domesticated wolves that can be trained in kennels by good/neutral and non Orc factions.
    Last edited by alreadyded; December 09, 2011 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    I used my wolf models and animations to make Wolfhounds. Descendants of domesticated wolves that can be trained in kennels by good/neutral factions.
    can u share a pic?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12