Thread: Any Way to Build Camps?

CrisGer's Avatar Civis

Default Any Way to Build Camps?

The roman army regularly built way camps when on the march and more permenant camps for winter seasons or for more extended occupation of territory or a province. Is there any way to get the TW engine to build a camp? Either on the march, with animations or as a more permanent structure? It would be really nice to see such as part of a campaign. It would need a wooden wall, for each legioinaire carried or provided a stake for the perimeter wall, and for longer occupied camps there were wooden watch towers, and there was always a earthen vallum with ditch, and the tents or more permanent huts including officers quarters were laid out on a strict grid pattern inside.... remains of such camps can be found throughout the empire and were a standard practice to the very end of the empire. The Byzantine army sometimes used them but not as often as the regular western Roman army.

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Any Way to Build Camps?

Well as long as you have a family member (named character) in your army you can choose to either build a fort, or to build a watch tower, those seem to be what you want but you have to have a family member in your army to build one and they stay up forever.

CrisGer's Avatar Civis

Excellent thanks, that sounds great. I will look into that.

any details on what the fort looks like?

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

On the campaign map it looks like a smaller town without the buildings inside, and in the battle it looks like a camp with wooden tents, 2 streets plus one all the way around the outside, wooden walls - not very elaborate because they use just about the same ones for every faction, and there appears to be a couple of buildings which look somewhat larger near the center.

CrisGer's Avatar Civis

Excellent, that sounds like a very good decision on the part of the developers at CA, glad they thought it through, those buildings at the centre of the camp were the officers quarters, the Centurion and other higher ranks. The wooden tents would have been accurate as for winter quarters the soldiers would make wooden huts, and on campaign they used leather tents that each Maniple carried pieces of. Each small unit of men were responsible for not only their own equipment but often pieces of the portable siege machinery or other encampment equipment, and all could be set up and dismantled each night on the march. I look forward to seeing what siege elements can be placed on the battle map thanks for the replies on this ..I have the vanilla game loaded and now installs each for several mods including the RS2 mod, and i am very much looking forward to my first campaigns. I collect many CGI games and sims of Roman events and history and it is amazing how much a sense of that time and history we can get from these fine Virtual recreations.

It is interesting to note how much CA uses from the Caesar series of games, I, II, III and IV, in how they set up the building program, and the economic side of things, the addition of the full scale battle map figures is a remarkable step forward and I hope that CA will now give us a Roman sim with the STW engine