Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: A Great Work is Approaching Release

SirPeacemaker's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: A Great Work is Approaching Release

That wasn´t very nice ObiWan. I disagree with this policy saying nothing at all but it´s everybody´s right to do so. This mod is in progress how long? 4 or 5 years? I heard about this mod about 5 years ago if I´m not mistaken and that´s why I believe questions about release date is valid. As a matter of fact I thought this mod is dead. But all around I can see is something like second breath of MTWII mods, because there is new hunger for these mods by players. Probably they are fed up with Empire and Shogun (Shogun is quite dissapointing for me to be honest) and that´s why they ask for some good mods from medieval ages. And believe or not I would like to know too when is this magnificent work done. I believe is much better to say something, like to say nothing at all. On one hand people are angry when release date is not delivered, but on the other hand they are even more angry when is there no information at all. That´s my point of view.
    Last edited by SirPeacemaker; April 21, 2012 at 04:54 AM.
    Very good rocking song. The message of the song: WHEN PEOPLE LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UKRAINIAN WAR, THEY WILL GO INSANE!! (I suggest to turn the english subtitles on. Its over 18only because of violent pictures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAR6nUV7VI

The work is progressing steadily but as has been said million times before it's humongous work and we are just few guys. Many members dropped entirely or went dormant and thus currently we are about 5 active people working on it regularly.

As always it is tempting to just substitute some things with arbitrarily chosen stuff but we have never done that and certainly won't start now just to speed up release. Everything is carefully researched and decided including placeholders (which might sound odd) and the historical accuracy has always been the prime feature of DotS.

It also covers a lot of land, factions and cultures so it's not as easy as if we were just doing Europe which is why it's taking even more time...

But to be more specific the placement of PSFs is almost done with 2000 placed and just some 100 to go (my estimate). With that done the map will be roughly finished and all pieces will be able to start sliding together and alpha test will begin. That however will still be long way before public beta... On the other hand we might be recruiting some internal alpha testers for this phase too.

Naturally any ETA or anything is impossible to determine and I often don't meet even my personal ETAs for stuff so it would be pointless giving anything like that publicly. Also we have abandoned the previews and such because we are so short in manpower and PR stuff takes lots of time to create which should really be devoted to doing actual work. Even minor things like my map blog is taking too much time in my opinion.

So sorry for the lack of info - I know it myself from waiting for other games' mods and such. But fans showing interest are at least a bump to our motivation and occasionally someone even finds the will to join and lasts for more than a day which is always welcome. :-) So thanks to you guys who have endured up until now!
    Last edited by Resurrection; April 21, 2012 at 05:43 AM.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

SirPeacemaker's Avatar Centenarius

Ok fair enough. We didn´t get an answer (and no estimation either) but I understand your status. In this case I would like to apply as a beta tester for this great mod, if there is a chance to be one. I have participated in couple of mods and maybe I will be little bit useful here too. (Mostly I did historical research and some betatesting too). Take care
    Very good rocking song. The message of the song: WHEN PEOPLE LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UKRAINIAN WAR, THEY WILL GO INSANE!! (I suggest to turn the english subtitles on. Its over 18only because of violent pictures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAR6nUV7VI

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Considering how long ago this was posted
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=522594
    you can imagine where we are now, and we still have more to do....

But as Resurrection says we can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel. And I know that when the mod is out, it will be HUGE and people will be playing it for years. That's a promise

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Sorry all for my not-so-nice post, it wasn't my place really, I was just having what one would call a particularly bad day
    Last edited by Obi Wan Asterix; April 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: changed crappy to bad
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

I just hope you guys working on it know how much we all appreciate what you're doing. We only keep asking for release dates because we want to play it so much because it looks so amazing

Keep going and take as much time as you want

freakkriek's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    And I know that when the mod is out, it will be HUGE and people will be playing it for years. That's a promise
    That will be a given... keeping such a big fanbase after more then 4 years devellopment just shows how powerfull and unique this mod is. When this mod comes out this site will become a silent wasteland since all the common posters will be to busy playing...
    and after a few games we, the enthousiastic fans, will be here again knocking on your doors demanding fixes and adjustments...
    and still you guys keep on going

just wanted you guys to know how much your efforts are appreciated

and since there is no money to be made with this, it just shows how altruistic you people are...
    the only award we can give you are 'best modding award'... which in my opinion should be reserved for you guys during the next 3 years at least...

any way what I am trying to say is
    thank you
    An Ode to a briljant man
    Reality continues to ruin my life.
    Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless.
    Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words.
    I'm learning real skills that I can apply throughout the rest of my life ... Procrastinating and rationalizing.

Freakkriek hit the nail on the head! Three cheers for awesome mods, modders and their loyal fans!!
    Looking forward to Dominion of the Sword
    PSN ID: mynameisowen; add me if you play GT5 or Battlefield.

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Keep up the fantastic work guys

Quote Originally Posted by Allectus View Post
    Keep up the fantastic work guys

Well I'm still here and still waiting for this mod. Keep up the great work guys....

HellBojus's Avatar Foederatus

It will take an ages, but when it will be done it will be great.

Waiting for this is like waiting for TLG, hopefully they'll both be amazing.

I have no problem with waiting, but waiting indefinitely is painful. All your work is appreciated and I can't imagine dedicating my time as you do, but it wouldn't kill anyone to post a semi-official may be released sometime in the month XXXXXX of the year XXXX. Even if this date was pushed and pushed and pushed, it would definitely help. Sorry if that came out wrong but I'm only asking, not demanding in any way shape or form. ONLY A SUGGESTION. BTW, it won't do you any good to attack my anxious demeanor as there are so many just like me who will just keep asking.
    If you disagree, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by rslfan500 View Post
    I have no problem with waiting, but waiting indefinitely is painful. All your work is appreciated and I can't imagine dedicating my time as you do, but it wouldn't kill anyone to post a semi-official may be released sometime in the month XXXXXX of the year XXXX. Even if this date was pushed and pushed and pushed, it would definitely help. Sorry if that came out wrong but I'm only asking, not demanding in any way shape or form. ONLY A SUGGESTION. BTW, it won't do you any good to attack my anxious demeanor as there are so many just like me who will just keep asking.
    If you disagree, to each his own.
    We usually don't attack anyone asking these questions... Unless they post useless/empty/absurd topics or multi-post around here and even then the usual reaction is just moderator's deleting the crap.

Anyway the problem with giving a hint of a release date is that we have done so many times in the past and all of those deadlines were missed. The truth is that we don't know and we have about as much clue as you do. Our advantage is that we know what is yet to be done but how quickly that can and will be done is impossible to tell. For example in the current Map Review I was hoping to do one review (of about 200 parts) roughly every few days and pick up speed as we would go to finish in few months tops. In reality the first one took over a week and the second one about as much. I still hope it gets better but it's totally different to my expectation and that's just one piece of a puzzle. Any project-wide estimate would be completely arbitrary date with no backing whatsoever and will not be fulfilled if given.

On more positive note the mod's huge parts after all those years are now starting to slide together into the final product. But how long will it take depends on the respective people and this is a free-time project so we cannot really force anyone to work quicker - often not even ourselves...

I may resume the map blog with the final map screenshots and info due to popular demand for previews though.

Sorry to disappoint but this work is really huge due to all the research needed and it has always been the case. It's both virtue of the mod and its bane. But we'll see it done.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

You guys need help with research let me know... Done with college and have absolutely nothing to do at all.

Dominion of the Sword - Magyar Department - Coordinator, PSF research leader
    The Great Conflicts - Magyar tribes researcher
    Heiğinn Veğr: Total War- Magyar tribes and Kingdom of Hungary researcher

fightermedic's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    I may resume the map blog with the final map screenshots and info due to popular demand for previews though.

Good to learn that this project is still going strong. I was once a member, so I know that these guys are dedicated and hard-working - for instance, Hross, Sumskilz, Resurrection, Space-ed, etc. (just to mention a few!). Then I had to quit unfortunately. Now that the relase seems to be close, it looks like all the hard work is paying off. Good luck to the team!

KEEP UP THE AMAZING WORK! We all really support the work you doing. Thanks.
    The game.