Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: -- Preview of High Elves --

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Default Re: -- Preview of High Elves --

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Watching again and again the wonderfull roster of this project i had some questions about Elves.
    Elves are immortals.
    Elves (if not killed) live for ever. So the elder Elves gather riches for long years plus gather battle expirience (those who survuved battles in hundreds of years). Even the new recruits (new born Elves) can be well trained because their teachers are masters of war.
    Now two points...
    Elves can not have "peasant" type units .
    Those youngsters can be finanshed by their familly to have access to high quality armor.
    So "wooden" shields and simple leather jackets are out of question.
    Why?
    "Mithril" is light as a feather and strong as a dragon's tooth.
    So ambush tasked units can be equipted with "chain mail" look mithril armor (chain mail was Talkin's favorite armor thank to his viking worship) that allows ambushers to move fast with out the wheight problem.
    We must NOT forget that the story is a fairy tail and "logic" or human society features are not basic in fairy tails!
    I know its a game but a new "formula" must be found in Elves (and in Orc for the same reassons) apearence.
    Depends on the background for the units. The more basic elves have the task to watch over their homeland so they are constantly on the road and full sets of amour are just not practical. In the movies we see the difference between soldiers keeping watch and on the road (rangers, elves in lorien, aragorn's and boromir's fellowship outfit) and the soldiers going to war (gondorian soldiers, elves in helms deep, aragorn black gate outfit and boromir osgiliath outfit). The elves are not in all out war so it makes sense for them not using most of their armoury. Also mithril is quite rare, kazad-dum (only mithril mine) had been abandoned for over a 1000 years.

So "wooden" shields and simple leather jackets are out of question.
    Why?
    "Mithril" is light as a feather and strong as a dragon's tooth.
    So ambush tasked units can be equipted with "chain mail" look mithril armor (chain mail was Talkin's favorite armor thank to his viking worship) that allows ambushers to move fast with out the wheight problem.
    I don't think you understand how rare mithril is at this point in Middle Earth. Frodo's mithril shirt is a fairly unique item, it's value being "greater than the value of the whole Shire and everything in it". Adding elven skirmisher units clad in full mithril armour is quite silly.

OMG I want more!
    Can't wait for 3.0 to come out, would be the perfect Christmas gift

Keep up the great work!
    Last edited by Diadochiwelike; December 02, 2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Bad typing haha ;)
    "Born to late to explore the Earth
    Born to early to explore the Cosmos
    The human mind is our Frontier
    Religion is the ocean we must cross
    "

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    I wanted to give the helmet the axe thing like the eldars have but I didn't have the model for it.
    I think axe would be great for Sylvans (or Thranduil's Elves, if the decision to split up the Elves is finally made)
    Last edited by Beregond; December 02, 2011 at 11:51 AM.

Great work!

So all ex High Elf units are terminated with your units? Or some of them will still be in game?

chriskourou's Avatar Semisalis

When???? it's been 10 months!!! Tell us sth for God's shake!

omg i graduate from uni and the very same day you release a preview of your amazing work, or am i just still dreaming?!
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by AmiR TimuR View Post
    Great work!

So all ex High Elf units are terminated with your units? Or some of them will still be in game?
    They're all gone. Silvans remain untouched but I'm gonna change that in the future .

Everto's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    They're all gone. Silvans remain untouched but I'm gonna change that in the future .
    Didn't you give the Silvan Elite Units a slightly more "Copper"-tint, as opposed to the more "Golden"-tint of the Eldar Units...I could've sworn your mentioned that somewhere As well as making their cloaks less "Bright-Green" and a more dark-racing green if you will... I understand that the units will be unchanged, but some aesthetics have been addressed by you...or will they not be implemented in the first 3.0 release...

(on a sidenote, if you could replace the spears of the elite silvan units with those you gave to the Eldar...that'd be great, a standard wooden shaft looks much better than what was there before )

Patrician

I did not have the time. Changes to the silvans will come all at once like I did with the High Elves.

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

But.. not for 3.0 anymore?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day

Good looking pics, Smiths and Mithlond Nobles are a huge improvement.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarven Berserker View Post
    But.. not for 3.0 anymore?
    Im glad not. Do you want to wait like 4 more months for 3.0?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Luis one last sugestion.
    Put your units unter gravity affect.
    Espesialy your wonderfull horsemen.
    Take the sword scabbards and the sword hundles (secondary passive weapons), move them a bit away from the body models ,rotate them and assign them in both bone pelvis and bone_lthign.
    This must look like this in the end.
    The same stands for axes but also for infantry men.
    I have finished the tutorial about gravity only by 20% ...i must find some time to finish it after xmas.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; December 02, 2011 at 06:35 PM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Patrician

You can send me the mesh if you want.

I will try to make a small guide with pics (that would later become part of the whole tutorial ) in the next few days..
    I can't promise spesific timeline though...
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Luis one last sugestion.
    Put your units unter gravity affect.
    Espesialy your wonderfull horsemen.
    Take the sword scabbards and the sword hundles (secondary passive weapons), move them a bit away from the body models ,rotate them and assign them in both bone pelvis and bone_lthign.
    This must look like this in the end.
    The same stands for axes but also for infantry men.
    I have finished the tutorial about gravity only by 20% ...i must find some time to finish it after xmas.
    50/50 vertex assignment to each bone? I wish I had known about this when I was modding. It is a great simple effect.

Protestant Knight's Avatar Centenarius

For those who keep saying that the Body Guard unit looks to Gondorian its really the other way around the men of Númenor had good to great relations with the Elves most of the time and when Arnor and Gondor where formed they had great relation's so over the years I would think that the master craftsmanship of the Elves would have rubbed off on the Gondorian smiths and they would used better designs in armor then they had in the past

P.S. the only thing I would change about the Body Guard unit is some blue coloring and I like the crest on the Eldar units so maybe a Eldar-ish crest but the crest is just something I personally like

Everto's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Pentecostal Knight View Post
    For those who keep saying that the Body Guard unit looks to Gondorian its really the other way around the men of Númenor had good to great relations with the Elves most of the time and when Arnor and Gondor where formed they had great relation's so over the years I would think that the master craftsmanship of the Elves would have rubbed off on the Gondorian smiths and they would used better designs in armor then they had in the past

P.S. the only thing I would change about the Body Guard unit is some blue coloring and I like the crest on the Eldar units so maybe a Eldar-ish crest but the crest is just something I personally like
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    50/50 vertex assignment to each bone? I wish I had known about this when I was modding. It is a great simple effect.
    50/50 to horsemen in a small distance from the horseman's body (because horsemen open their legs to sit on horses). Also a bit backwards from the body's axis.
    70/30 (bone_pelvis/bone_lthign or rthign) and in a closer distance from the body.
    The objects has to be rotated to almost reach the vertical axis of the body.
    Tha angle must be greater to horsemen though because they move their thigns foward when sit on horses. Infantry men have no such effect but a small angle must be still remained to avoid having swords and scabbards to "follow" entirely the thigns.
    Yes its quite simple but i needs a lot of testing battles to experiment with the models and see how objects behave on models.
    But it give a new essence to virtual result. If you combine this with your wonderfull models/textures the finall result will not be a game but a playable movie!