Thread: Vioence, drugs and video games

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

Default Vioence, drugs and video games

Read these...

First an interview with a researcher that is convinced that violent video games make people who play more inclined towards violence and tolerant towards alchohool and drugs: http://www.gamespy.com/articles/702/702785p1.html. Somewhere in there, 3rd page, there's nice little synopsis of her experiemnt.

Second up there's an interview with a researcher that does not believe in said effects of violent video games: http://www.gamespy.com/articles/703/703756p1.html. A few things about media influence and popular perception also thrown in the mix.

Using these two as basis (and if anyone has any other studies, articles that can be linked, link them) what do you think? Do violent video games exert a clear negative influence on people who play them? Can they be classified as a danger? Should they be banned? Should they be regulated? Why?

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Default Re: Vioence, drugs and video games

Let me first quote from an excellent review of a great number of studies until 2003 (Savage, 2003)

...Of these, seven summary findings report a positive effect but three of those are for girls only. Four summary findings report a negative effect (more media violence, less violent behavior). Nine findings are null and three reflect an interaction such that viewing violence had a positive effect on those already high in trait aggression. On the balance, for boys, there appears to be no more evidence for a positive effect than there is for a negative effect of media violence on violent behavior. Although it could be the case that most of the studies missed the effect due to methodological limitations, it is not appropriate nor is it common practice to conclude that the effect must have been missed in those studies.

What is common practice is to evaluate the methodology of studies that report significant findings, see if there are rival hypotheses, and temper our conclusions to the extent that there are. Of the ‘‘high’’ and ‘‘medium’’ relevance studies reporting positive findings we find a time lag that was not prespecified, a matched design with potential for spuriousness, and a lack of control for prior aggressiveness—all very significant problems that without further study mitigate against our confidence in these findings. Of course this conclusion would be different if we accept the interpretations of the prospective cross-national studies provided by their authors, which have not been accepted at face value in this review.
    Schramm, Lyle, and Parker (1961), in the very first lines of one of the first full-length studies of television and North American children, wrote that ‘‘No informed person can say simply that television is bad or that it is good for children. For some children, under some conditions, some television is harmful. For other children, under the same conditions, or for the same children under other conditions, it may be beneficial. For most children, under most conditions, most television is probably neither particularly harmful nor particularly beneficial’’. This early conclusion probably holds today. Unfortunately for the serious scholar, most published reviews and discussions of this topic frequently cite conclusions of authors without addressing the inadequacies of the research that produced them.

Here you can see the problems of those studies:

Last edited by Garbarsardar; May 01, 2006 at 02:32 PM.

ckerr094's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Blaming violence, drugs and other things on video games and films,..............no not for me.

Look at that chart - all those academics who have managed to keep each other in grant-money to fund their holiday-homes by fabricating ******** to be disagreed with and reversed and disagreed with and reversed in an endless fancy-ball of blood-mad crow-dancing. Contemptible, these fakes, but far more loathsome yet are the dogs who actually pay attention in the first place.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

I play computer games.

Do I get into fights? No
    Do I take drugs? No
    Do I smoke? No
    Do I drink? Sometimes, but not very often.

After playing GTA, I've never thought, 'Well that makes me want to take drugs' like this 'experiment' suggests.

So I conclude that that this 'experiment' is complete ******* (see I don't even swear)

ckerr094's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by God
    I play computer games.

Do I get into fights? No
    Do I take drugs? No
    Do I smoke? No
    Do I drink? Sometimes, but not very often.

After playing GTA, I've never thought, 'Well that makes me want to take drugs' like this 'experiment' suggests.

So I conclude that that this 'experiment' is complete ******* (see I don't even swear)
    I Agree!

Gwendylyn's Avatar Citizen

Experiments aren't supposed to make claims about all people. Of course there are people who will fall outside of the claim that video games are more likely to make people agressive. They aren't there to measure anecdotal evidence.

Beyond all the problems with these studies, they have yet to prove that violent games make all people more aggressive. They've showed that people with agressive behavior who play violent video games become more aggressive. That shouldn't surprise anyone, but it's being used against the gaming industry because groups spin the results to ignore violent dispositions as the root cause.

Everyone, the conclusion:

Play games with animated characters that are fat, bald and yellow, rather than those containing real life issues

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by ckerr094
    Blaming violence, drugs and other things on video games and films,..............no not for me.
    Yeah, and somehow the parents are never to blame for a kid's problems...yet if the kid succeeds, it was all the parent's doing...WTF!

orange slice's Avatar Ducenarius

never after i played a game or saw a movie do i say, oh im going to go rob a gas station and kill a bunch of people, and then hope to get away. i don't know why people think that probably 90% of the cases that people think were caused by a video game is wrong they are just looking for something to blame the violence on.

Member of the TWC History Club

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Of course follow the logical conclusions of this arguement down the trail. If violent video games influence childrens behaviour then movies will have a certain amount of influence. What about literature? What about imagery?

If it can influence a child so severely what kind of influence if any can it have on an adult. Sure to be sure that there are 25 year olds out there more easily influenced than some 15 year olds.

Peter

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Violent videogames do more to prevent violence than cause it, really. Those games are medium through which one can release thier anger without having to turn it on an actual person.

Isn't it supposed to be Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll?

Now it's "Violence and Drugs and Video Games". How utterly boring.