Thread: Alright! Re-purchasing STW Warlord Edition

Default Alright! Re-purchasing STW Warlord Edition

I had the game years ago, the disc got lost, so now I decided to repurchase this game via Amazon. Used copy. No manual. $10, nice deal. It'll be here in 1-2 business days (or as they say in the business 'You'll get it when you get it, you worthless pestule') and I was wondering, were there ever any epic mods for this game akin to BKB or XL mod for MTW and S.P.Q.R./E.B./RTR for RTW? If so kindly point me to a working download for increased rep, along with brownie points.

Is this board dead or what?

incase it is, here's a picture of square water melons.

Bizarre. And yet, mouthwatering.

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

Default Re: Alright! Re-purchasing STW Warlord Edition

Square water melons... strange, yet yummy...

I know of no mods for STWWE but it is a pretty good game in itself. AI well beyond Rome, less variation of troops, more strategic thinking... I remember how playing the Mori, for example, was more difficult for me that the entire Imperial Campaign in Rome.

And, anyhow, what could a mod add to STWWE? I don't see a lot of room for improvement...

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Thanks for replying, but thats a shame, you could improve on a ton of stuff in STW with a nice mod. Just making a vanilla mod by expanding ingame features, new faction, new units for everyone, new buildings etc, would already be worth it. I seem to remember there was a shortage in the variety of units in STW, everyone would have access to the same type of archers, same type of ashigaru, same warrior monks...etc...

edit-on second thought, STW sounds like the perfect total war game for me to start practicing modding on. I always wanted to change things ingame at will, with STW it should be easy because the game is old and relatively simple, there are only 6 or so factions, only a handful of units...its a plan, I'm gonna try then.
    Last edited by RZZZA; May 01, 2006 at 03:41 PM.

STW/MI is not very modable. MTW is much more modable, and the STWmod for MTW/VI v2.01 is getting a major reworking right now. We hope to have this new version released fairly soon. A version 5 beta is already available. This mod has many new clans, and Mongols will be added for a Mongol campaign similar to what's in STW/MI. The maps are being reworked with the original STW textures and all new Japanese models. If you have STW or STW/MI (Warlord Edition), you can bring in the original music and battlefield voices. There will be new Japanese spash screens, and improved horse graphics now that it is being made into an overwrite mod. What you don't get is the battlefield weather, seasonal turns, throne room, movies or geshia of the original game. The unit set is that of the Warlords Edition. It's still fairly simple compared to the hundred units of MTW/VI, but the battle engine doesn't really support a hundred unique units. Fewer units allows each unit to have a distinct purpose in the tactical battles. This helps multiplayer achive a highly balanced, combined arms gameplay, and online battles using this mod have been recently revived with one day events being held on Sundays. In the campaign, different clans can build different types of units more cheaply which gives the clans some variation. There will probably be some additonal unit types added to the campaign game. Discussion about the STWmod take place here: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Is this game released?
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Old thread...

STW was released in 2000, Mongol Invasion / Warlord Edition in 2001 - so yes it's been released for quite a while.

I will re-buy stw at some point and yes it does need modding and it can be improved. I cant remember the files but I done some experimenting quite a few years ago and the start positions can be edited [for units at least] if you work out what all the numbers mean.

The only disapointment for me was getting defeated by stacks of sam spears and archers after I had spent time getting the more advanced units.

If someone can mod stw that would be great, I loved the throne room etc, it really adds cultural flavour. If a full mod for mtw can be made that would also suffice. I downloaded sam warlords a while ago but it was a beta and hence incomplete.

Good luck to all who have stuck with this!

Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    I will re-buy stw at some point and yes it does need modding and it can be improved.
    STW is unmoddable. The only changes that can really be made are to the troop and projectile stats. Virtually nothing else worth changing can be changed.

I cant remember the files but I done some experimenting quite a few years ago and the start positions can be edited [for units at least] if you work out what all the numbers mean.

The only disapointment for me was getting defeated by stacks of sam spears and archers after I had spent time getting the more advanced units.
    You must be referring to MTW?

If someone can mod stw that would be great, I loved the throne room etc, it really adds cultural flavour. If a full mod for mtw can be made that would also suffice. I downloaded sam warlords a while ago but it was a beta and hence incomplete.

Good luck to all who have stuck with this!

The SW mod is very complete, it's as "beta" as any other mod - it's just that most other mods aren't labelled as such. In what way did you find it incomplete?

STW is unmoddable. The only changes that can really be made are to the troop and projectile stats. Virtually nothing else worth changing can be changed.
    No I can distinctly remember getting some warrior monks from the start by changing some numbers. When I re-buy it I’ll take a look at the files again, I am pretty sure you only get the files with the mongol add-on.

No not mtw.

The SW mod is very complete, it's as "beta" as any other mod - it's just that most other mods aren't labelled as such. In what way did you find it incomplete?
    The version I got had all the same unit colours ~ I think there were two colours for each unit. It was a while ago though, so I am very pleased that it is done!
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.