Thread: Recommended cfg changes to enhance the game

Default Recommended cfg changes to enhance the game

As a long time player of M2TW, there are a few minor changes in the cfg of a mod that will enhance the overall game. Some are to optimize the speed of the game, some are for personal aesthetics, some for allowing you to use the editor, etc. These are my personal choices as they seem to be what is best, followed by a reasonable explanation why it should be changed. Modifying a cfg is very simple, but should only be done by Notepad or a downloaded editor like Notepad ++, as otherwise it can add in ASCII characters into the file.

Open up the cfg and you'll see many entries
    Rule Britannia 1.6 cfg
    [features]
    ## relative mod path
    mod = mods/rule_britannia

[io]
    file_first = true
    disable_file_cache = true

[misc]
    show_hud_date = true
    ;bypass_sprite_script = 1

[log]
    to = logs/RB.system.log.txt
    level = * error
    ;level = * trace
    ;level=*script* trace

[game]
    allusers = 1
    auto_save = 1
    unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 0
    event_cutscenes = 0

[video]
    windowed = false ## used for modding
    ;movies = false

[features]
    editor = 0

[multiplayer]
    playable = true
    ## faction mask for setting default starting factions in hotseat campaign
    factions = 1 #1 = england, 2 = france, 4 = hre, 3 = england+france, etc

[hotseat]
    scroll = false ## disable start turn scroll in hotseat campaign
    turns = false ## disable forced separate human faction turns (including diplomacy) in hotseat campaign
    disable_console = false ## enable cheat console in hotseat campaign.
    admin_password = password ## specify password for administrator access to the dev console when console disabled. Change 'password' to a suitable password
    update_ai_camera = true ## enable camera updates during ai turn in hotseat campaign
    disable_papal_elections = false ## enable voting in papal elections in hotseat campaign (only first valid human faction votes)
    autoresolve_battles = false ## disable forced autoresolve all battles in hotseat campaign
    validate_diplomacy = false ## disable diplomacy validation for incoming propositions
    save_prefs = true ## disable forced relevant hotseat options to be saved with game.
    autosave = true ## autosave hotseat game at start of players turn
    save_config = true ## save config file in save dir containing information about next players turn
    close_after_save = false ## close medieval II directly after a hotseat autosave
    gamename = hotseat_gamename ## sub directory name for hotseat save games
    validate_data = true ## ensure game data files used in previous save match current campaign data files.
    allow_validation_failures = false ## prevent game to load if savegame or data validations fail

[features]
    editor = true or 1
    This will allow you to use the Battle Editor, admittedly an advanced option, but will allow you to create custom battles, or simply get an overview of a map coordinate or a layout view of a settlement.

[game]
    auto_save = 0
    event_cutscenes = 1
    unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 1
    Autosaving has been known to be a primary source of CTD (Crash to Desktop) errors. I always recommend turning it off. That means if I'm about to fight a battle, then I save that game ahead of time with the SettlementDate or BattleDate as a format, since I might wish to experiment with results. That logical and methodical way of playing enforces good tactics.

Unlimited men on the battlefield doesn't affect me personally, but setting it to 1 makes it an option and should generally be on.

[video]
    event_movies = 1
    windowed = true
    show_banners = 0

Windowed mode means that you can Alt-Tab out of the game, use your computer to do whatever, then quickly Alt-Tab back in. It allows multi-tasking versus reloading the mod.

I personally hate banners as they are very nonhistorical. Only a few units would have carried them, elite units that wore their colors proudly. Banners give away the enemy location, and your own in foggy, night time, or ambush situations, and I loathe that. I highly recommend turning them to zero.

(Side note: the only armies in history I can think of that did use loads of banners were the samurai, where every lowly ashigaru wore a flag to help them determine the enemy)

Last edited by RubiconDecision; November 27, 2011 at 06:48 AM.