Thread: Is it possible to play hotseat-games against other players in realtime battle?

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Is it possible to play hotseat-games against other players in realtime battle?

Hello, i might sound stupid - but is it possible to fight other players in realtime battle throught the hotseat-multiplayer?

I thought you could only fight the AI in hotseat-games. And therefore you needed to autoresolve every battle - but this let's play doesn't seem to have an AI-opponent in the battle?

Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Parafix's Avatar I have this stick...
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it possible to play hotseat-games against other players in realtime battle?

He is fighting versus the AI on the battle field. TWC HS usually doesn't allow this versus other players but it's not unheard of in other communities. The main reason we don't allow it due to a player being more than capable fighting 200 men versus 1500 and winning against medieval 2 AI. Hotseating is based more on the strategy than the actual battles.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: Is it possible to play hotseat-games against other players in realtime battle?

Quote Originally Posted by Parafix View Post
    He is fighting versus the AI on the battle field. TWC HS usually doesn't allow this versus other players but it's not unheard of in other communities. The main reason we don't allow it due to a player being more than capable fighting 200 men versus 1500 and winning against medieval 2 AI. Hotseating is based more on the strategy than the actual battles.
    I understand - yes the AI mostly sucks.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

AI does suck but we can only mod it to make it better, and even then it is not up to scratch with suicidal death charges.

As Parafix stated, it's possible (and other communities are known to do it) but TWC's norm is AR due to it being, by far, the more balanced option. If you allow real-time battles against AI any haft decent player can crush odds that eclipse his own forces thanks to the AI being the AI. Ultimately, stupid. AR removes such unfair/easy/unrealistic battles and revolves around strategy and diplomacy more than "I'll attack these 1500 with my 200 and win!".

Edit: For those interested. 2 positions are open here - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?745589 - in a game designed for players that have never played a Hotseat before. Just post there with your desired faction.