Thread: Named legions? but not numbered?, even with BI

Default Named legions? but not numbered?, even with BI

Yeah..I was just wondering. In BI, the legions worked so that they were named but also numbered based on recruitment.
    So you could have 1,2,3,4,5 and infinity Claudia Pia Fidelis...for example.

Is there any reason why the numbers based off recruitment (for legions) didn't get carried into RS2?

Default Re: Named legions? but not numbered?, even with BI

Well for example there was only one legio XX(twentieth) Valeria Victrix. Most of the time these legions were just recruited as "the twentieth legion" but because of their valour and victories they got these "nicknames"

So no, there weren't 30 legions around with the same cognomen. They all date from different times and area's.

Hope this helps, and when it won't... forget what I said

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

there was only 28 legions i think and also in RS they are numbered using roman numerals.

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

yes there were 28 legion in the times of Roman Empire. with time, after 3 century the number of legions seemed to grow, although some ancient authors said that those weren't as good as 1st and 2nd century legions...

if you want to know something more about numerating legion read this.

LoneWolf_Sam's Avatar Libertus

Jumping in to be the not-so-helpful historical accuracy bloke here...

Between (49 BC - 30 BC) many legions were raised by rival generals and their client networks in the provinces they conquered/governed. When Augustus came to power in 30 BC, he disbanded about half of the over 50 legions then in existence. The remaining 28 legions became the core of the early Imperial army of the Principate. (27 BC – 284 AD).
    They were not the only legions ever to have existed... There are loads, all existing at several different times. For example, Although in game i believe RS2 only mentions the: 'Germanica', 'Adiutrix' and the 'Minervia' as holding the Number 'I', I can also think of the 'I': 'Italica', 'Macriana' and 'Parthica'.

So you're correct in the sense that in RS2 there are the 28 legions used.. but even using the legions in-game, we have 3 gemina legions (twin legions) that were made from combining two diminished legions (each) so thats already at 31..

Quote Originally Posted by RafoutRoud View Post
    Yeah..I was just wondering. In BI, the legions worked so that they were named but also numbered based on recruitment.
    So you could have 1,2,3,4,5 and infinity Claudia Pia Fidelis...for example.

Is there any reason why the numbers based off recruitment (for legions) didn't get carried into RS2?
    Yes, that's a very simplistic way of doing things and doesn't represent history

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Yes, that's a very simplistic way of doing things and doesn't represent history
    Although it is rather win in a way.

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

haing a simplified 28 legions in this game is a win, over complicating things would distract from the game as this is what it is, if players want to go further with historicity abandon this altogether and play EB which is historically fanatic mod

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra123 View Post
    haing a simplified 28 legions in this game is a win, over complicating things would distract from the game as this is what it is, if players want to go further with historicity abandon this altogether and play EB which is historically fanatic mod
    Lol mate. Cool down. This game(mod) is awesome and it will always be. i think the doubt is answered and thread should be closed
    Marcus Claudius Aurelius

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

As the man said, closed.