Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats with the Spartans?

Default Whats with the Spartans?

Hey, guys. This is a great mod (much thanks to Lusted for creating it), but I have one little nitpick.

Whenever I use the Spartans, they seem to be creamed by most anyone.

After finally defeating Epiros/Macedon/Thrace in my Greek Campaign, I entered into war with Rome. I sent a stack of my best troops and they carved up the Italian Peninsula quite nice. Meanwhile, I created every Greek player's dream; an Army of Spartans (of course, they had suitable missile/cavalry support).

My newly created Spartan Army (most of the troops had about 2 bronze chevrons from the temple bonus), was sent to North Italy (near the province of Venetia), and I set them up the bridge. The Romans went after the bait and attacked. I had 8 Spartans, 4 archers, and 2 generals. The Romans had some 1,000 more troops than me but many of them were the ordinary rif-raf of town guards and such and I was on a bridge with supremacy in missile power so I had no great fear.

Sending, most of my Spartans on the main bridge with archers flanking, my generals and 2 Spartans were sent to the alternate pass.

It became a slow grind on the bridge as expected, and my Spartarns were coming off worse in the conflict against Hastai. My flanking attack by generals and reserve Spartans (thankfully the AI never guards against 2 crossings), finally managed to win the battle, but not without some 600 of my Spartans (and a general) dead.

Naturally, I was interested in how my Spartans, matched against equally expirienced troops (the Romans had 3 chevrons at most, a lot of them had no expirience at all), which were of adequet quality at best, with missile fire and cavalry flanking, and on a bridge, could have taken 50% casualties.

So I set up a custom battle between a Roman Praetorian unit, against a Spartan one, both with no chevrons or weapon upgrades, on medium difficulty. The Praetorians had (according to the little box) less attack and defense (not to mention hitpoints) than the Spartans, so I was expecting a Spartan victory.

I tried it many times, with different breaths of formations, guard mode on and off, and etc. each times the Spartans were creamed, they only managed to inflict about 50 kills to the Praetorians while the Spartans were wiped out. At the worst times (with a wide formation and guard mode on), they actually turned their backs to the Praetorians during the fight.

So why are the Spartans (whom the statistics report as far more powerful than the Praetorians [as they dang well should be]) cut apart every time? Sure the pilas do some extra damage, but thats only 10 or 20 kills at most.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Whats with the Spartans?

Hmm thats a good question, in certain mods the spartan have even 3 hp, maybe the stats are unbalanced?
    Its suppose to be "Don't ever expect to beat a phalanx hand to hand combat, except with a other phalanx", as the advisor says, and Spartans is suppose to be the best of those
    Last edited by Cyrus the Virus; April 29, 2006 at 03:49 AM.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Ive checked up on the stats, they have 16 attack, 4 charge, 9 defense skill, 5 from shield, and 2 hp. They should be far more than enough to beat the Praetorians

EDIT; Just tested again, this time with Imperial Cohorts. Lost again, 3:1 casualties. I think its the huge armour advantage that the cohorts have. It seems illogical that the hoplites are so easily wiped out in head to head battles
    Last edited by Xiaodun; April 29, 2006 at 05:22 AM.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Hmm, ill look into this, but i am looking into balancing unit stats a lot better in 5.0, so this should not happen in it.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

SARMATIAN LEADER's Avatar Biarchus

well i have had a custom battle with full chevroned Praetorians and Spartans(gold both of them)huge settings,full army stacks a set up a battle Spartans beat the Praetorians pretty easy even their loses were many they managed to beat them!try a 3 army battle with rome,greek cities and a random faction controlled by you and let the the romans and the greeks face each other and see the outcome!

-Kossovo is Serbia- -Macedonia is Greek-

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his. ~George Patton

I believe Praetorians and Legions should better than hoplites.At least the praetorians.

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian
    I believe Praetorians and Legions should better than hoplites.At least the praetorians.
    Why? The Praetorians should historically be weaker than normal legions. But historical accuracy aside, the legions and Praetorians should be creamed by hoplites in head to head combat. Thats the only reason why anyone would want to use hoplites, because of sheer firepower.

well i have had a custom battle with full chevroned Praetorians and Spartans(gold both of them)huge settings,full army stacks a set up a battle Spartans beat the Praetorians pretty easy even their loses were many they managed to beat them!try a 3 army battle with rome,greek cities and a random faction controlled by you and let the the romans and the greeks face each other and see the outcome!
    That aint the point.

Sure its easy to outwit and defeat the AI, but the hoplites should cream anyone in head to head combat, thats the only reason why anyone used them.

The hoplites should be easily outwitted and outmanuevered by able to defeat anyone in head to head combat. The ahistorical "Can't Touch This" method of RTW was horribly ahistorical, but somewhat replicated it. Since that is gone, the sheer power of the wall of shields that smashed down Persians with imperviousness is gone. I suggest tweaking up the charge and defense.

Why should the hoplites be able toc ream anyone in hand to hand combat? That would totally unbalance things, i want fights to be even, not loaded in the hoplites favour.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by deathdoom56
    Why? The Praetorians should historically be weaker than normal legions. But historical accuracy aside, the legions and Praetorians should be creamed by hoplites in head to head combat. Thats the only reason why anyone would want to use hoplites, because of sheer firepower.
    The Praetorians should be the elite. The Urban Cohorts should be weaker.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Agree, the hoplites should not be given better stats, it will totally unbalance things. And excimperitor, there are no Urban cohorts.

imthefrgt10's Avatar Senator

Dont forget the spartans are strong when the enemy is at the tip of the spear but weak in close range

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted
    Why should the hoplites be able toc ream anyone in hand to hand combat? That would totally unbalance things, i want fights to be even, not loaded in the hoplites favour.
    Then how do you expect the Greeks to win anything?

They have adequet missile troops, pathetic cavalry, and their historic only strength was an earthshatteringly powerful infantry. The Romans were awesome in head to head battle against disorganized Gauls, but they would have squashed in head to head combat against the Greeks. The Romans defeated phalangites by manuvering around them. The old phalanx formation replicated this by making them untouchable in head to head combat but slow. Now that the hoplites lost the phalanx formation, they are just weak and pathetic spearmen.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

As SPQR, the Spartans have given me fits in and around Greece. Typically, after a fight with a Greek army containing a few Spartan units, I will have no cav and severe losses to my frontline infantry.

Could it have been the bridge setting? Try them on open ground.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

They are great in bridge battles, but i won't use them in open as much.

Well i find the greek hoplites to be very good, i tend to lose quite a few men when fighting them, and in 5.0 the greeks will get better cavalry and also a infantry unit that can form the phalanx formation.
    Creator of:

One must factor in the difficulty setting at which you play. If you play vh/vh, the ai units gain a drastic boost. Try it on m/m, or even do a vh/vh facing spartans as the praetorians, and see if you still win easily. -Leon

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

to beat hoplites you must outmaneuver them.

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

Well i find the greek hoplites to be very good, i tend to lose quite a few men when fighting them, and in 5.0 the greeks will get better cavalry and also a infantry unit that can form the phalanx formation.
    What unit is it?

Sacred's Avatar Libertus

What the hell do you think they even used the spears for? Because in head to head they could NOT be touched by sword units. Making them get ass raped from the front takes the point out of them being the spear heavy greeks, which not only makes the greeks suck, but makes there best infantry not live up to its expectations, and takes the point out of being like "Hm im going to have to be careful, hold this spear in place and flank it" not just "BWAHAHA ANOTHER UNIT TO FEED TO THE FIRE!!11!" which is how it currently is.
    If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. Friedrich Nietzsche
    Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. Ayn Rand

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CerebralAssasain
    What the hell do you think they even used the spears for? Because in head to head they could NOT be touched by sword units. Making them get ass raped from the front takes the point out of them being the spear heavy greeks, which not only makes the greeks suck, but makes there best infantry not live up to its expectations, and takes the point out of being like "Hm im going to have to be careful, hold this spear in place and flank it" not just "BWAHAHA ANOTHER UNIT TO FEED TO THE FIRE!!11!" which is how it currently is.
    CerebralAssasain, please be respectful of others, that was rude. Do not do it again.

You do have a valid point but it will get ignored as people respond to the aggresive nature of your post.
    Last edited by Hader; April 30, 2006 at 11:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast