Thread: Winning as the Licinii

Default Winning as the Licinii

My faction the Licinii are doing well. Surena actually besieged Antioch. Few of his men returned. I did have one early disaster when an army under one Petronius was annihilated. Otherwise I am doing well. Egypt is reduced to Siwa - those Ptolemaic legionaries look a bit odd as they are post Marian reform, and perhaps a little overpowered. The Roman desert mercenaries are good, though. Essentially my problem is that the other Roman factions are very powerful, more so than I am. The Pompeians are the largest and the most popular with the people and loathed by the Senate. Yet although vanilla 1.5 can have ai initiated civil wars, this might not happen here. The Parthians have lost Seleucia, Susa and Parsagadae as lost Hatra very early in the game. They are my allies now - very amusing. I am at war with Armenia mainly on the basis of senatorial orders. Pontus was destroyed mainly by Armenia, with the Pompeians and Licinii playing a lesser role. (I notice that the Senate has several cities at the start. During my own efforts at mapping I noticed that the Senate with several cities can start to conquer and no faction will besiege their cities, though this has not happened here). Once I have taken Siwa, I think I will land two armies of legionaries in Greece with two more to support what I have in Italy. i have enough forces to absorb the Pompeian territory in Asia Minor. I will post a screenshot of my situation. I am uncertain how to proceed.

Stuie's Avatar Laudir Agus Mir

Default Re: Winning as the Licinii

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerius
    The Parthians have lost Seleucia, Susa and Parsagadae as lost Hatra very early in the game. They are my allies now - very amusing.
    You still need Ecbatana and Dura Europus to fulfill the "Subdue Parthia" triumph, which is a prerequisite to victory for Crassus. Then again, if you're having a good time don't worry about slavishly pursuing victory conditions. :original:

Empedocles's Avatar Domesticus

Don't worry about Pompeii, his armies are pretty much crap. Use Alexandria, antioch and Halicarnassus as your main source for leggionaries. You can find good cavalry and archers as mercenaries in asia minor and greece.

In my game I've destroyed armenia, pontus and egypt. I've subdued parthia and conquered all asia minor and crete from pompeii.
    I also have landed a full invasion of greece and macedonia and when I'm at the gates of Apollonia Pompeii finally reacts and is sending 4 armies against me.
    Of course my faction leader is Pablus licinius crassus (his father was dead before taking susa), he has fought against pontus, he reached the caspian sea and subdued parthia and then he made a trip trhough armenia into the black sea where he sailed to conquer pergamo. Now he is near apollonia! And he is only 40 years old!!!
    A mini alexander I would say.

As soon as I fullfil the victory conditions I'll post a screenshot.

Diego, from Argentina

I actually did take those Parthian cities, I think. I better look into that.

What will make the Pompeians easier to destroy is that most of their armies are nowhere the core of their empire. Some seem to be having a jamoboree in the middle of Gaul while others are making heavy work of trying to destroy the Sarmatians.

I will see how I progress.

I have not attacked Greece as I need to defend Egypt. Albeit with one or two defeats, the Pompeians are folding fairly quickly. I have taken all their cities in Italy bar two. The problem is that the Senate is now defending its ally. The army that is attacking now is comprised mainly of those foreign units that the Senate can build or hire. Unfortunately they have other units. Their cities cannot revolt and no other faction will attack their cities. The Julii are wilting under the force of Pompeians units spread throughout Gaul and Illyria. They have not lost too many units however. The apart from the cities close to Carthage, they rule only Cyrene. Two armies remain to be defeated there. That will happen presently.
    Last edited by Glycerius; April 30, 2006 at 06:41 PM.