Thread: Force Alliance?

Default Force Alliance?

Playing as Armenia right now. Fighting on multiple fronts while trying to finish off Seleucids. Now Egypt decided to join the action and attacked me with 3 full stacks . I cannot sign peace treaty with any of the factions and this is getting annoying. Ai is dumb and i know its vanilla ai. I need help , is there a way to force alliance or ceasefire that would last? Or do i need to conquer everyone so i can enjoy some peace and focus on building? I am not hardcore i am playing M/M , but different mods have different difficulty levels as well as factions , so right now i am thinking of dropping campaign unless i find solution.

Default Re: Force Alliance?

If you really need the help, use the force diplomacy. When you enter diplomatic links with another faction, click the ? button which will activate the Forced Diplomacy. Then just click your demands, though you wont be able to force them into everything.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

They will probably just attack you following turn anyway The AI attacks neighbouring factions allied or not

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius I Poliorketes View Post
    They will probably just attack you following turn anyway The AI attacks neighbouring factions allied or not
    The chances of a faction which you've just forced an alliance with declaring war on you are considerable lower than those of a faction which was forced into a ceasefire.
    Last edited by Grimbold; November 23, 2011 at 06:09 AM.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

The AI has a calculation it makes as to how vulnerable/weak a neighbouring faction is. Basically the less strong your settlements/armies are next to it, and the more battles you are fighting the weaker you appear, so it is far more likely they will attack. If you have an alliance it probably affects that calculation, but bear in mind as well that even with force diplomacy, unless the deal offered is "reasonable", the AI may still not accept it. For example if you had 1 army and demanded 50K dn from a neighbour with 10 armies, they are still not going to accept it.

If you can strengthen the border it will be less likely to attack, which I realise is a bit of a problem if you are already fighting 2 other factions but that's part of the problem. Cede a settlement or 2 to the rebels, destroying everything you can and recouping the money then use that to rebuild your armies? A bit drastic but it may give you the time you need?

I tried forcing an alliance or cease fire and that didnt work. Parthia is my neighbor but didnt declare war on me for many turns. I keep strong garrisons on my borders. But Ai just seems unreasonable, Egypt should be grateful , seleceud was their sworn enemy , sigh.

Heh i am forcing them in to ceasefire every turn, next turn they attack , feels like i am playing mind trick on them . I am trying to sign peace treat with all of Egypt allies to force them into alliance ,lets see if that works.

Cant do that, they are aliied with rebels??
    Still playing mind trick every turn.

This question is off topic but still, how do u deal with settlements that dont belong to your culture ?

Do u demolish their building/temples completely or not? I have trouble with barbarian settlement for a very long time no matter how many temples/execution squares i built there, i have to keep low taxes or the whole town will rebel. I exterminated it before ,didnt seem to help much.
    Last edited by rory o'kane; November 24, 2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Please don't triple-post. Use the edit function instead.

Bottom line is keeping your border cities heavily guarded will benefit you in the long run.

Now in regards to force diplomacy. Here is a trick and I guess what others consider a cheat. If a faction attacks you and you do not want a war with them. Send a diplomat and use force diplomacy to end the war. Now of course the faction will attack you again the next turn. When this happens use the force diplomacy again to end the war but start preparing some armies to go into the hot zone where you are being attacked. Before you know it you have your armies their ready for a fight and with the force diplomacy you been using you have fought zero battles and are ready to go.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Yeah that was i was doing last couple of turns as Armenia . The problem is the battle design. Sieges take awfully long times. Any greek faction can block narrow street with their phalanxes for really long time , while other elite units and thorakitai block my cavalry from flanking them. I use at least 6 units of cataftract archers to shoot and charge enemy flanks but it mostly works in the filed , not during a siege.

Wish i could rebalance unit morale and attack defense , not to vanilla values but more to RTR values.

Many units will not rout , Multiple flanking and shooting them in the rear will do the trick but sieges dont allow this freedom of movement , i had enemy infantry/phalanx following my cavaly inside the city lol.
    Frighten enemy bonuses easily overriden by enemy inspire bonuses and with unbreakable morale they fight to the last man. Sometimes it drives me nuts , but now i cannot play any other mod with maybe RTR7 being the only exception. Its a masterpiece .if only i could adjust those values lol.

Sorry for tldr , just had to say it=)

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

You can adjust the morale, just might take you awhile
    PS: Be careful not to mess up balance though and back up files should you choose to do so.
    I personally wouldn't
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; November 23, 2011 at 03:17 PM.