Thread: Paris samurai exhibit.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Paris samurai exhibit.

Oh no I don't live in France...

I don't live in France too, but in Belgium .
    I went to the exibition yesterday. It's a really nice collection. If you're not living too far, i recommand this visit.

Quote Originally Posted by furinkazan View Post
    I don't live in France too, but in Belgium .
    I went to the exibition yesterday. It's a really nice collection. If you're not living too far, i recommand this visit.
    No pictures???

Hey there,

Bit of a late reply (1 month since last post, hehe).
    I too visited this exhibition (2 weeks ago, I live in Belgium too).
    A nice collection, worth the effort to visit if you're not too far away (I had to sit on the train for 5-ish hours total, that's both ways).
    Thing is though, the pictures in the Picasa album are probably the best you'll find. It was very hard to
    take pictures there, because:
    1) Huge crowd, you wouldn't believe it.
    2) Everything (save for a few pieces of armour) was behind glass, making it very difficult to
    take pictures without getting reflections on them.
    3) The lights were terrible, haha. They made the reflections even worse.

I did buy the catalogue however, which has pictures of (I think) all of the pieces featured in the exhibition with explanations.
    It also features a short history of the owners and where the collection was originally from.

Hmmmm, I thought that samurai didn't use shield.

That's a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by visser300 View Post

Hmmmm, I thought that samurai didn't use shield.
    That, in fact, is a helmet. More specifically a 'ichimonji jingasa' (= flat helmet). From the 14th century, made out of iron and guilded bronze. Mostly used for ceremonial occasions, but also by those going to war because it was more comfortable to wear than a normal helmet.

(cf. Armure du Guerrier p.336)

I made this category on Wiki commons for pictures taken at the exhibit, considering the lighting, crowds, glass etc it seems that you would have to be very lucky (or a great photographer) to get a good shot.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...ior%22_exhibit

Quote Originally Posted by RavSai View Post
    That, in fact, is a helmet. More specifically a 'ichimonji jingasa' (= flat helmet). From the 14th century, made out of iron and guilded bronze. Mostly used for ceremonial occasions, but also by those going to war because it was more comfortable to wear than a normal helmet.

(cf. Armure du Guerrier p.336)
    Actually jingasa are considered to be hats, jin=war gasa=kasa=hat.

Quote Originally Posted by american samurai View Post
    Actually jingasa are considered to be hats, jin=war gasa=kasa=hat.
    That could very well be, but in the official catalogue the translation next to it says: "casque plat", and in French casque means helmet or headphones, and somehow I don't think it's the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by RavSai View Post
    That could very well be, but in the official catalogue the translation next to it says: "casque plat", and in French casque means helmet or headphones, and somehow I don't think it's the second one.
    The term 'casque' in the book is unfortunate for this jingasa. It should be 'couvre-chef', which translates as hat.
    Last edited by furinkazan; January 13, 2012 at 04:56 PM.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Where is the exhibition in Paris? The Grand Palais? If so, I may head along. They also have some nice Japanese armour and weaponry at Les Invalides in their permanent collection, although the selection of items is rather small.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    Where is the exhibition in Paris? The Grand Palais? If so, I may head along. They also have some nice Japanese armour and weaponry at Les Invalides in their permanent collection, although the selection of items is rather small.
    It's at the musée du Quai Branly, not far from the Eiffel-tower. http://www.quaibranly.fr/fr/programm.../samourai.html
    Last edited by furinkazan; January 13, 2012 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by furinkazan View Post
    The term 'casque' in the book is unfortunate for this jingasa. It should be 'couvre-chef', which translates as hat.
    I agree, that would've indeed been more appropriate.
    I checked the glossary at the end of the book and there they decided
    to translate "jingasa" as "chapeau de guerre" or "casque chapeau plat" or "casque militaire léger",
    which all would've been better I guess.