View Poll Results: How to revise economics?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go full: change traits, units and buildings

12 75.00%
  • Leave traits as they are, change the rest

3 18.75%
  • Change only traits

0 0%
  • The game is challenging enough as it is

1 6.25%

Thread: Revised economics add-on

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Revised economics add-on

Hi everybody, I'm trying to develop an add-on for XGM that will make economics much more challenging and make late game campaign more akin to the BI WRE campaign in terms of management problems...
    I already put 25% of work in place, what I need now is some feedback about the extent of game modifications...

Please vote and post your opinions!
    Last edited by Zarax; May 01, 2006 at 05:23 AM.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Default Re: Revised economics add-om

Take Metropolis&Naval Mod for RTR as a model instead of WRE BI, which is a little disappointing even for micromanagement fans like me.

The Metro Mod guys have completely revamped farm and trade system for the better and most of all do not allow any city to achieve the Huge Level, which is very realistic. Only few cities (the bigger ones historically) actually can.

What exactly does the metropolis mod do?
    I'm very open to feedback but in this case I need more info as I cannot install that mod...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

I'm for all changes but is there a way not to give economical bad traits when the taxes are not on very high. i mean for couple of years max taxes are ok when in war but all the time...

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Yes, that can be changed without too many problems, only thing is that there is not a common opinion on how to treat traits on different taxation levels...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Hello Zarax, this is what the Metro Mod by Snake IV does:

Mod Description
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Metropolis Mod tries to characterize provinces in a certain way. Both in Vanilla RTW and RTR 6.x all regions are essentially the same: some of them have got different farming outputs at the beginning, in some of them you have mines to gain a little more income, but there are hardly no differences. Additionally, all towns can grow to huge cities, especially in the later game. In my opinion, having 100 Romes on the strategic map is a little disappointing. As the name of the game is "Rome: Total War", Rome (and other big towns) should be more special. As another point there are some absurdities like the farming upgrades, which produce exactly the same amount of crops in every province, no matter if they're in a nile province or in the sahara.
    In Metropolis Mod, only the most important cities are allowed to reach the 24,000 population mark. Most towns even stay beneath the 12,000 mark. In this way, large cities like Rome, Carthage or Alexandria gain the special status they had in those times. And there is a new system of calculating farming income. In every region you can now see small towns and villages. The more of these villages a province includes, the more income it produces per farm upgrade. Furthermore, population growth does no more depend on farming. Buildings like Arenas and Theatres take over this function to give the player more control over his cities.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Features
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

- entirely new concept for farming income
    - only politically and/or economically significant towns can acquire city level 4 and 5
    - 6 new buildings, including: ~ four different mines (gold mine, silver mine, iron mine, copper mine)
    ~ "occupation" buildings which slow down the conquering of "barbarian" regions
    ~ new farming buildings which make the colonization and irrigation of regions more accurate
    - only important cities can construct walls to counter "Siege: Total Realism" and army hack-and-slay
    - all buildings completely rebalanced to create a bigger difference between more and less developed provinces and to fix annoying squalor problems
    - integrated silk road from babylonia to aria, which is now available to Greek factions, too

To see some on-game screenshots (for example the small villages added around the biggest cities) go to http://forums.rometotalrealism.org/i...howtopic=11361

And this is what the Naval Mod by Desaix does:

====================
    Mod General Info
    ====================

This mod is an overhaul of the naval aspect of the game in order to provide a more historical flavor to it. It impacts many aspects of the game to give maritime aspect the historical importance it had in such wars as Punic wars for example.

The main changes made to RTR 6.2 are the following:

1) Maritime economy is now more important and naval development is now an valid way for city development.
    2) Complet revamp of war ships units for historical ones. 15 naval units are now available.
    3) New building line: Naval Architecture, that allows you to build the larger warships using Timber ressource.
    4) New building line: War Harbors, which lets you build trained warships.
    5) New building line: Navigation Safety, enables more trade lines and improvements to port city.
    6) Old port line was changed for Commercial Harbors. It gives an appropriate trading bonus and slightly helps population growth.
    7) Resources and hidden resources revamp.
    8) Minor faction’s initial setup changes.
    9) Naval Map 3.0a by Draknar is used for less landbridges.

====================
    Current Version
    ====================
    ***Changes in Version 2.0***

- Ressources historical review have been continued and some tune up have been made.
    - Gades and Rhodes have been reviewed to more reflect historical situation.
    - Naval tradition hidden ressource has been reviewed. It allows ports to build advanced and experienced version of warships via War Ports building line.
    - The naval hidden resources (sea lane, major port, trade hub, naval tradition) have been reviewed to be more historical.
    - A new building line has been added: Naval Architecture. It allows to build the biggest warships, it requieres Timber to go over level 1.
    - All Warships have been completly reviewed to reflect historical units. 15 naval units are now available.
    - All Warships stats have been redesigned.
    - Initial faction’s fleets have been changed to historical settings.
    - Roads have been tuned up a bite, requiering bigger city size to be built.
    - Markets have been given back some increase population, Governor Houses give even less incomes.
    - The map used have been tuned up by Draknar and it mainly has the following landbridges: Gibraltar, Messina, Euboaea/Greece and Dardanelles.
    - Some icons have been improved.

To see in-game screenshots http://forums.rometotalrealism.org/i...showtopic=5702

Then those two mods have been integrated in one package by Chaotica which is called Metro&Naval Mod. The key is that you can actually choose if either developing your economy in farming direction or in trading: http://forums.rometotalrealism.org/i...howtopic=14125

This is very nice, I was considering some of these ideas myself but I also have a few tricks of my own for XGM to slow down player and growth...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

shadowarmy75's Avatar Biarchus

I don't think traits would have that much effect as most people can just remove the generals from the city and it would just be extra work.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Revised economics add-on

I'm integrating Zarax's economic changes into the beta now. I have taken a somewhat different approach with some of them. For military buildings the higher levels have a small population growth penalty, but relatively steep trade penalties to relect the cost of maintaining these facilities. Only the equestrian buildings have farming penalties, to reflect the land used for grazing.

Default Re: Revised economics add-on

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo
    For military buildings the higher levels have a small population growth penalty, but relatively steep trade penalties to relect the cost of maintaining these facilities. Only the equestrian buildings have farming penalties, to reflect the land used for grazing.
    Could you give them small law bonus?