Thread: How to deal with free Vikings?

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default How to deal with free Vikings?

Excuse me if what i ask has already been asked! I'm playing the Norwegian Vikings, which relationships do I have with the free Vikings? can I attack them? is it convenient? and in the Mod who they represent?... Jomsvikings?
    I admit, I know this historical period but not so deeply.
    Anyway great mod! Great fun!!! How long I waited to be able to use Viking and Normans in game!!!

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: How to deal with free Vikings?

Afaik you aren't at war with them and they won't go near you in Norway but if you want you could ally with them or attack them, it's your choice.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Excuse me if what i ask has already been asked! I'm playing the Norwegian Vikings, which relationships do I have with the free Vikings? can I attack them? is it convenient? and in the Mod who they represent?... Jomsvikings?
    I admit, I know this historical period but not so deeply.
    Anyway great mod! Great fun!!! How long I waited to be able to use Viking and Normans in game!!!
    You're free to attack them. It could be convenient because they tend to have Eoferwic, and the Scottish Isles as well. They can also be quite the pain in the arse later in the game!

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    You're free to attack them. It could be convenient because they tend to have Eoferwic, and the Scottish Isles as well. They can also be quite the pain in the arse later in the game!
    Thanks guys, Scotland is exactly the problem that worries me, the Free Vikings are slowing me down and they make difficult to penetrate into the interiour of the country and they has islands and ports that can be very useful for me as a base, so... I'll attack them!!

But who are the free Vikings historically?

They are the groups of vikings that invaded as most invasions, of ireland, england etc. weren't under the command of jarls not the kingdoms of norway or denmark just a bunch of raiders who were looking for new lands. Your act of aggression is really the kingdom of norway extending its rule over the reluctant diaspora.

Thanks brother! I now feel more free to kill them all! It was, somehow, a matter of good conscience!

Hi. Does anybody know whether it is possible or not to completely destroy the Viking faction?
    More specifically: will the Vikings continue their scripted raids even if they are dispossessed of all settlements?

They own a hidden settlement in scandinavia called valhalla so they can't be defeated afaik.

Speaking of which, the script should generate a diplomat for them as well, so that you can talk to them even when they don't have any settlements left except for Valhalla, since that one is impossible to get to.

No real point imo since they're treacherous and will attack even if you were allied.

So I can get peace with them after I crush their army. Being at war for a long time hurts your reputation. Also, I think you get an economic benefit if you own the territories next to Valhalla and you have trade rights with the Vikings.

I hope this 'Valhalla' is only a temporary tool and will be removed in the upcoming updates. A petty village called Valhalla looks a bit queer in the mod that is supposed (and not without good reason) to be historically accurate. IMHO.

It's only visible with toggle_fow. It's also a game mechanic to ensure they actually act as they should.

Maximus_54's Avatar Miles

Yeah but you could also play as them if you edit the Descr_Strat file, ive done it.

Domesticus

You can see Valhalla with towers or spies :-P You have to take the farthest north settlement there and all

Personally, I just deal with them. I dont know why, but when I play as Hjordaland, or even Munster, they are cool. I mean, theres the scripted attacks, but they tend to stop the seige and I can get peace

And when playing as Norway, I just avoid their lands. Or bribe them, or buy them

I had Valhalla once XD

AuroN2's Avatar Foederatus

oh the random raiders, i love them. I love fighting them, it gives me a reason to garrison every village city and town in my empire.. Such a wonderful idea i must say.