Thread: RS2 Multiplayer Setup Instructions & Guide

Hellhound1's Avatar *Knock Knock*

Default RS2 Multiplayer Setup Instructions & Guide

Hello all!

Welcome to the Multiplayer Sub Forum!

Please, post your comments, feedback and any problems you have, below.

Hellhound1
    The following is a guide of the unit types, factions, pro's and con's of each faction, how to set up and install, how to get online, and the launcher itself. Please read through all of it first. It will answer most of your questions, and solve some problems!

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's RS2 Multiplayer Guide:
    Spoiler for Unit and Play Guide

Multiplayer has been thouroughly tested by me and Roam, but should you notice any odd stats or any possible exploits, then please send a PM to me and I will look over it.

General Changes:

• Morale levels have been tweaked down by a large margin, this will not be noticed much when infantry meet head to head, but being flanked is now much more dangerous to morale and may cause chain routs.
    • Prices are changed a bit as to favour lighter units and regular units over elite units in terms of bang for the buck.
    • A few factions have deliberately been chosen to be weaker, to provide a handicap for more experienced players.
    • Exotic units such as elephants and chariots will be usable, but they come at a high cost and must be used with caution and with careful timing. Having more than 1 set of these units in your army would be a bad idea as these units require a lot of support.
    • Combined arms are intended to always triumph over single-unit spams.
    • Fatigue is a major factor in battles, since mêlées between most factions will drag out on time. It's a good tactic to bring many units so a portion of your army can be kept in reserve until the enemy has exhausted himself against your frontline troops.

Cavalry:

• A few cavalry units may appear to have lower attack values, but it is compensated for in higher lethality. Infantry generally have 20% lethality, cavalry generally have 50% lethality in their attacks.
    • Charge values are lower, this is because 1) the main factor of cavalry charge is the mass value of the mount, which is a hidden attribute and 2) with overall lower morale values cavalry are capable enough of breaking infantry without inflated charge values.
    • Wedge formation is removed from most cavalry due to the devastating effect that formation has in the hands of a skilled player. The only cavalry to keep this extremely powerful formation is the Companion cavalry, but they are also priced thereafter.
    • "Intimidate Nearby Infantry" was removed from cavalry units who had this due to the lower morale stats.
    • Elephants and chariots will have more armor and fewer hit points than in Campaign mode, requiring more specialized units such as spearmen and skirmishers to deal with them. Archers will ineffective against them, but fire arrows may still amok elephants.

Infantry:

• Most non-hoplite spearmen have had their secondary sword attack removed due to them often switching to swords whilst still under cavalry charge.
    • Phalanx units have been taken to their edge by being much more deadly in the front, but with much weaker defence. Do not expect your lightly armored Bastarnae to live long if they make frontal contact with a phalanx.

Skirmishers:

• Having these will be essential to most armies as an army without a meat shield of skirmishers in front risks being decimated by projectiles or being trampled by elephants.
    • Skirmishers are essential in combating phalanx units and elephants, they are also very cost effective.
    • The power of hand thrown javelins is overall increased.

Archers:

• Archers are low cost and most of them got a good range, but their ammunition is lower than in campaign mode. This is done to shorten the missile phase of a battle and to make hit-and-run tactics less viable for archers.
    • Archers will be very useful against light infantry, skirmishers, light cavalry, other archers and particularly against barbarians. They should however not be expected to cause much casualties among heavy infantry, that is the skirmishers job.
    • Archers have the lowest morale of all unit categories, most of them will not stand in the face of an advancing enemy army.
    • Slingers have longer range and an armour piercing attack, but their ranged attack is lower than that of the archers, making them ineffective against units with large shields.

Factions:

Romans:
    Steadfastness: +++++
    Shock: +
    Missile Output: ++++
    Armor:
    +++++
    Mobility: ++
    Roman military power revolves around their cost effective and well armed professional infantry. Quality units are much more affordable for the Romans, but they lack true elite units and shock cavalry, therefore the Roman player is dependent on deploying a superior number of heavy infantry to exploit weak spots in the enemy formation, apply great pressure on several flanks simultaneously and outmaneuvering the enemy. The Romans have a combination of braver but less professional pre-Marian troops, steadfast post-Marius troops and Auxillia infantry for more offensive roles. Imperial Lorica Segmentata Legionaries carries one less pilum, but have improved armor.

Roman Rebels(Civil War Faction in Black):
    Steadfastness: +++++
    Armor:
    +++++
    Roman Civil War Faction, Identical to the other Roman Faction. Roman military power revolves around their cost effective and well armed professional infantry. Quality units are much more affordable for the Romans, but they lack true elite units and shock cavalry, therefore the Roman player is dependent on deploying a superior number of heavy infantry to exploit weak spots in the enemy formation, apply great pressure on several flanks simultaneously and outmaneuvering the enemy. The Romans have a combination of braver but less professional pre-Marian troops, steadfast post-Marius troops and Auxillia infantry for more offensive roles. Imperial Lorica Segmentata Legionaries carries one less pilum, but have improved armor.

Belgae:
    Steadfastness: +++
    Shock: ++++
    Missile Output: +++
    Armor:
    +
    Mobility: ++++
    Fields a more savage version of the traditional Celtic roster of competent infantry and cavalry, more aggressive infantry with less armor than other Celts. Their superb chariots gives them the ability to completely wipe enemy cavalry of the field, something that should be exploited to get their competent slingers behind enemy lines where they can fire away uninterrupted by enemy shields. As the other Celts, the basic infantry lacks armor while the quality infantry is very well armed and armored indeed.

Scythia:
    Steadfastness: ++
    Missile Output: +++++
    Armor:
    +++
    Mobility: +++++
    Excellent archery, excellent cavalry and decent infantry. The Scythian faction is unmatched in cavalry and archers, when facing Scythians an army of heavily armoured spearmen is the best way to nullify their advantage, even then one needs to look out for Scythian Hoplites and Royal Guard.

Boii:
    Shock: +++
    Armor:
    ++
    Mobility: +++
    The Boii are the most average of the Celtic factions, however their skilled and inexpensive archers are a great boon when fighting against aggressive factions with little armor. They also sport lighter chariots and vicious Falx wielding mercenary Bastarnae. As the other Celts, the basic infantry lacks armor while their quality infantry are very well armed and armored indeed.

Macedon:
    Armor:
    +++
    Macedon has access to much cheaper phalanx and hypaspist troops than the other Diadochi Kingdoms, they also sport superior light assault infantry such as the Agrarians and excellent charge cavalry able to use the devastating wedge formations. They rely on Alexander style hammer and anvil tactics and must therefore at all costs avoid lengthy infantry grind downs with heavy infantry.

Ptolemaic Empire:
    Steadfastness: ++++
    Armor:
    ++++
    Main strength of the Ptolemaic is that they are able to combine the versatility of their Roman clone legionaries with excellent cavalry and competent phalanxes. It’s a very well rounded faction that can tackle most situations, but does not excel in any particular field.

Seleucid Empire:
    Shock: +++++
    Missile Output: ++
    Armor:
    +++++
    The most versatile faction of them all, can adapt to any type of enemy, but unlike the other Diadochi Factions, they do not have any discounts on any particular type of unit.

Carthage:
    Armor:
    +++
    Good in every field. Carthage will need to use a combined arms force to outmatch more specialized factions. Carthage have a very varied infantry roster and the cavalry roster contains several secret weapons such as Iberian Shock cavalry, elite Numidian Skirmisher Cavalry and thundering War Elephants!

Parthia:
    Armor:
    +++
    Whilst their infantry may not look impressive it is more than able to keep the enemy busy whilst their impressive cavalry and missile corps delivers the fatal blow.

Pontus:
    Shock: ++
    Armor:
    +++
    Pontus lacks truly awe inspiring units, but competent cavalry.

Arverni:
    Armor:
    ++
    Traditional Celtic factions with good cavalry and competent infantry, including Naked Fanatics!

Cimbri:
    Armor:
    +
    The Cimbri fields the most destructive shock infantry in the known world that strikes terror into their foes, they also field powerful but expensive cavalry and basic units are able to fix an enemy advance with their shield wall whilst the elite units does the killing!

The Greek Cities:
    Armor:
    +++
    Mobility: +
    A weak faction that will be vurnable to all enemies that are simply not content to walk straight into their phalanx.

Armenia:
    Armor:
    +++++
    A very dangerous faction, their mace armed Nakharar Cavalry are certain to make short work of their Parthian peers and their axe armed Azat Light Cavalry will be a terrible thorn in the side of any enemy. Their focus on high quality armored units is also their weakness as the Armenian army is very expensive and they lack light ranged support units.

Dacia:
    Armor:
    +++
    Got a decent missile output and their shock infantry is very powerful. Their line infantry is more heavily armoured than that of other "barbarians" and they even field their own type of hoplites. Their main weaknesses is lack of armor for their shock infantry and mediocre cavalry.

Sparta:
    Missile Output: +
    Armor:
    +++
    Mobility: +
    The only faction to combine the steadfastness of the Romans, with the dread of the Germans. When facing the Spartans remember to keep good morale and that their weakness lies in their support units. Their main strength is and always has been their reputation, that puts fear into the heart of even the bravest warriors.

Pergamon:
    Armor:
    +++
    A weaker faction, but Pergamon got good melée potential thanks to their unique combination of superb barbarian infantry and cataphracts. However their lack of of phalanx units and terrible archers is a major Achilles heel.

Sarmatia:
    Steadfastness: +
    Armor:
    ++++
    Mobility: +++++
    Sarmatia is weakest of all factions, whilst they do field the best of all shock cavalry, their infantry and skirmisher force is non-existent. They do however have their place in a team game.

Gallaeci:
    Armor:
    ++
    The strength of the Gallaeci lies in their supporting arms, they are in that respect the opposite of the Spartans. When facing the Gallaeci, it’s essential to protect yourself from their javeliners in any way possible, preferably from a distance as the Gallaeci are lacking in armour.

Thrace:
    Armor:
    +
    An excellent selection of light infantry and cheap phalanxes with great shock infantry support. Sorely lacking in mainstay heavy troops and shock cavalry.

Setup Instructions
    Spoiler for Setup Guide

RS2 Multiplayer relies on a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to host LAN (Local Area Network) games.
    This in effect makes the computer believe you are directly connected to the other computers by a cable.

Well, it's time to say goodbye to crapmachi Hamachi..!

16 player parties? Bah. Ridiculous. My grandma had larger parties than that.

So its time to unleash..

EVOLVE

Awesome, right? RIGHT?

Yes, it actually is.

Evolve not only lets us play RS2 through LAN without Hamachi, it comes with a complete social network for gamers. (Even with a dislike button - take that, Facebook!)

I have already created the RS2 group (i expect to see you all on there) and an RS2 LAN network that should be open 24/7, will never be full, only shows online players, and even has built in voice chat!

The link, which you must all click, is https://www.evolvehq.com/

There are a few steps, however, to getting Evolve to work with RTW, due to its age.

1) Go to the website, and sign up.

2) At the top, is a client button. Click it, it'll start downloading the client for you.

3) While its downloading, join the RS2 group, by clicking this link: https://www.evolvehq.com/groups/497-roma-surrectum-2, and at the bottom left clicking join group.

After You've Finished downloading and installing:
    4) This is the first of two technical bits, and also the easiest.
    I'll assume you're on windows 7, if not it shouldnt be too hard to do.
    Open your "Hidden icons" and right click on evolve. OR if evolve is already open, click "file".
    Then click preferences.
    Then click features.
    Then you'll see an option that says party. Click the box. It'll download the party bits for you, so dont click anything or close the window. When its done, click save. Woohoo!

5) The second bit. And the hardest. This is to do with network adapter priorities. Because RTW is an old game, it gets confused about what to use. The best way to fix this is to follow this guide:

Quote Originally Posted by Evolve
    Some games (particularly older games) get confused about which network adapter to use when playing on a LAN server if your computer has multiple network adapters installed.

If you're in a situation where you cannot see the server in the game's lobby, you can try changing the binding order of the network adapters on your computer by doing the following:
    Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl , and then click OK.
    On the Advanced menu (hit the Alt key on your keyboard if the menu isn't visible), click Advanced Settings, and then click the Adapters and Bindings tab.
    In the Connections area, select the Evolve Gaming Connection and move it to the bottom of the list by using the arrow buttons.
    Restart the game.

Note that both the person hosting the game server and the person who is trying to join it must change the binding order as outlined above.
    6) You're almost there. Then, and only then, you may click this link. Go on, click it. It'll add you to the LAN party. Make sure to add all your RS2 friends! If you also joined the group, you can enter RS2 group chat! These will be permanently, along with your friends, on your "Friends" list.

And there you have it!

Basic Setup Video
    Spoiler for Setup Video

MP Launcher
    It shouldn't be needed anymore, so i've pulled the download link. It should be removable from control panel -> add/remove programs. As long as you have the latest update then theres no problems.

Important Links Thread
    Read this thread for a short version of the links needed, including the link for the lan party.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=446917

Multiplayer Updates
    This is REQUIRED for playing RS2 MP!
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/22015...ugfix+3%29.rar
    Head to your RS2 folder -> data -> _IMPORTANT_STUFF_ -> multiplayer and overwrite the file there.

If you have any more questions, dont hesitate to ask away, PM me (Hellhound1), ask on Evolve, or add me on steam (MrHellhound1), or do it the old fashioned way and post beneath!

Have fun, hope to see you on the battlefield soon!
    Last edited by Hellhound1; July 21, 2012 at 02:02 PM.

Default Re: RS2 Multiplayer Launcher

Good work

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: RS2 Multiplayer Setup Instructions & Guide

Thanks a lot for making the new launcher Hellhound

EDIT: I should update my guide a little bit I guess...
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw it said to rename the launcher before installing. I think I just renamed the shortcut rather than the actual launcher, my bad.

Just used this and it worked fine, but it overwrote my 2.5 launcher so I'm going to have to do another install just to be able to play all the factions again. I definitely appreciate the multiplayer capability and give my thanks for the work put into this, but it might be nice to put up a warning to backup your installer first.
    Last edited by xsithspawnx; June 29, 2012 at 06:34 PM.

Hi, the MP launcher was created for 2.0, and not 2.5, so there are some problems i'm hoping to fix in the coming days, and then release a new launcher/installer depending on what needs changing.

There's no reason it does not work with the "vanilla" launcher though.
    I've been using it for years, and multiplayer works just fine.

Just move your RS folder out of the program files if it's there.
    Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.

As far as i can tell the vanilla one works fine now, doesnt have the same problem as the 2.0 one did. Its more about seeing if theres a new EDU to put in, or files to move around.

I will get back to work to make sure it's alright

Ok so from todays testing of the new 2.5 BETA I would just like to conclude that a fresh install of RS2 2.5 BETA has fully correct multiplayer and includes my latest EDU fixes, the launcher seems to work much better now than earlier so there is no longer any need for a special multiplayer launcher or fix

I and Hellhound had a game on gamespy and were fully compatible with eachother and no desynchs

Evolve is functioning well in MP, run well in 2v2 battles, easy to use, no desynch, good job digging it up Hellhound

Updated with the new edu version!

Libertus

I can't see my friend on the lan battle list after doing all the guidelines, can anyone help me?
    Last edited by Iunius_Iaponici; October 07, 2012 at 06:30 AM.

Vardan the Great's Avatar Campidoctor

hey guys, i joined you in that platform but whenever i enter there is no one to play with me. Maybe i do smth wrong, or how shall i come across with the other players? :3
    "An unexpected death is a death, an intended death - immortality"
    (c) Vardan Sparapet, before the Battle of Avarayr

me too

Let's play! Come join me, am online right now! I'm Online let's do this!