Thread: Ideas for the Future

Macrath's Avatar Domesticus

Icon10 Ideas for the Future

Hope i am not stepping on any toes by making this Thread.

I was thinking some fan feedback could only help this mod grow, So any Ideas or just general comments about what you like and do not like about the mod in it's current state and what you would like to see done in the future.

One change i would like to see...or perhaps just an alternate campaign/version would be Expansion of the campaign map to the East instead of West.. I would love to sail my Irishmen over to India or somewhere near that area of the world. But hell stomping some tribals in America will be good fun also.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Ideas for the Future

I have no problem with new ideas. Bring them on.

after my first real playthru with this mod I find one thing to be a complete game killer ..and something i would love to see changed in the future...the wait between turns is EXTREME. The only mod i can think of that runs as slow is Stainless Steel..
    Then there is the fact that build times are quite high, which normally i do not mind, but in this case with the turns taking soo long to finish i can play for a good 20-30 mins and not really feal like i have accomplished much.. I am all for a longer campaign but this Mod moves at a snails pace.

Looks like it's back to Expanded Americas for me..lol
    Last edited by Macrath; November 17, 2011 at 08:59 PM.

Well, this happened when I put in Carl, the Taxman. I see it a small price to pay for giving the ai a financial chance. I have yet to find a better way.

why not just go with the give $$ to the AI when their Bankroll reaches a certain #? Go below 1000 and they are awarded a couple more..something like that

When my turn itself is shorter then the wait in between turns then somethings wrong..lol, i mean i want to PLAY the game not spend almost HALF my game time spent waiting for the next turn to load.

my turns (when not fighting) Generally take 1-3 mins.. the wait between turns is currently 1-3 mins..and i have not even gotten too far into the campaign where this problem always seems to get worse and worse. I don't know..i never understood how people could play Stainless steel with how long the wait turns were.. To me it is the equivalent of me playing a Racing game, and every time i turn the game stops and takes a few minutes to load. Or playing an old school RPG...let's say Final Fantasy 7.. if anytime you cast a summon the game froze up for 3 minutes while you just wait for the Summons attack to start...lol get what i am saying?

Perhaps make an alternate Version where instead of using whatever Carl The Tax Man is instead do something like what i mentioned above and just have some sort of Bankruptcy safeguard so the AI is always able to stay Financially stable.... Just for those people like myself who just can not deal with the wait between turns..and there are many of us Stainless Steal made that clear.. lol
    Last edited by Macrath; November 17, 2011 at 11:10 PM.

The lines of code in the campaign_script almost doubled when I put it in so it's bound to slow things some but it still does not come close to the amount of lines of code Stainless Steel has.

One difference I have noticed is all ai factions are still alive at 1140 instead of already losing two or three.

If you want a fight, wait until about 1130 and try taking Bergen or Oslo, Bergen being the easier of the two. Rebels will fight and they will initiate it there.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    The lines of code in the campaign_script almost doubled when I put it in so it's bound to slow things some but it still does not come close to the amount of lines of code Stainless Steel has.

One difference I have noticed is all ai factions are still alive at 1140 instead of already losing two or three.

If you want a fight, wait until about 1130 and try taking Bergen or Oslo, Bergen being the easier of the two. Rebels will fight and they will initiate it there.
    Oh..fights are not in short supply..i enjoy every feature of this mod...just the time between turns that kills it for me..
    Great mod would love to see it with shorter turns is all..hope that is possible somehow..either way all the best with development
    Have a Nice Day

Tbh, I don't like it either but I have not found a better way for this archaic game. I just want to add one more thing to the script to cap the player's money. You get middle to late game with a few large cities and you're rolling in dough.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Tbh, I don't like it either but I have not found a better way for this archaic game. I just want to add one more thing to the script to cap the player's money. You get middle to late game with a few large cities and you're rolling in dough.
    So since it is a feature you also do not like too much is there a possibility you could release a version without the taxman script and just add in a bankrupcy support type system that just feeds the AI money when they are broke?.. Thera uses that system if i am not mistaken and it works quite well, the AI still builds plenty and fields nice size armies.

I have not checked out Thera's. Someone tried doing it with traits and ancillaries of faction leaders and it never did work.

Hey Irishron.. I have been playing the mod "The Last Kingdom" recently and they have done an amazing job with AI spending. Even after 100+ turns the Ai was still stable with their Treasury. And best of all the time between turns in this mod is almost non existent. Granted they only have 13 playable factions, but still.
    The Last Kingdom has a great system, whatever they do.. Just thought the info might help ya out some.. perhaps you could ask the Dev's what they do for their AI to keep their finances so stable.

Best of luck with the mod, look forward to future releases.
    P.S If you ever need someone to test any new work let me know. I would be honoured to help in whatever way i can with this mod...despite my hatred of the wait between turns i really enjoy this mod and would love to see it improve.

Thnx for all your work on this mod, it has given me hours of entertainment...and an almost equal amount of hours bored waiting for my next turn to start Such a love hate thing i got goin with this mod

I may take you up on that.

I took a look a Thera's but they only have about the same amount of factions as vailla, no added ones. I'll download Last Kingdom and check theirs out later.

Thanks for the headsup.

Firstly, thank you Irishron and the rest of the team for your continued work on this wonderful mod. Now to admit to the fact that at the moment I play a modded version of 3.80.12 where the Aztecs and Americas are removed, new provinces Seleukeia, Siracusa, Brno, Salzburg, Alghero and Eikundarsund added and new factions Bohemia and Aragon.

An idea I'd like to see is a crusader event, either new faction (Kingdom of Jerusalem/Crusaders) spawning 1099 or maybe (catholic) player faction getting pop-up option to pay for crusader army to spawn near Jerusalem. Yes to event = minus 10000 or 20000 florins, prestige and a crusader army to reclaim Jerusalem. No to event = Offends nobles, Tax penalty and spawning rebel armies around your settlements. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by For Whom the Bell Tolls View Post
    Firstly, thank you Irishron and the rest of the team for your continued work on this wonderful mod. Now to admit to the fact that at the moment I play a modded version of 3.80.12 where the Aztecs and Americas are removed, new provinces Seleukeia, Siracusa, Brno, Salzburg, Alghero and Eikundarsund added and new factions Bohemia and Aragon.

An idea I'd like to see is a crusader event, either new faction (Kingdom of Jerusalem/Crusaders) spawning 1099 or maybe (catholic) player faction getting pop-up option to pay for crusader army to spawn near Jerusalem. Yes to event = minus 10000 or 20000 florins, prestige and a crusader army to reclaim Jerusalem. No to event = Offends nobles, Tax penalty and spawning rebel armies around your settlements. Just a thought.
    Could I have a link to this mod, please, if even a personal one? Curiosity is getting to me.