Page 1 of 58 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hardcore Fantasy Battle campaign - An Expansion for Beginning of the End Times

Reiksfart's Avatar Senator

Default The Hardcore Fantasy Battle campaign - An Expansion for Beginning of the End Times

Discontinued for public release.
    Last edited by Reiksfart; December 18, 2016 at 10:48 PM.

Default Re: The Hardcore Fantasy Battle campaign

edited.

To be updated
    Last edited by Reiksfart; May 22, 2012 at 09:22 PM.

mckain666's Avatar Libertus

WHOO!!!!! this is gona be good.. way to go .....

To be honest, I am waiting for this more than 1.5. Nice effort dude!

One suggestion. Since MII is a regiment-based system, if you introduce heroes, don't lower their unit numbers and then pat their other stats. That doesn't work because they are not very effective as troops. Have them the same unit size as other units with somewhat better stats (so they are the equal of 2 or 3 of the same unit). For example, I notice a dwarf general unit of 30 is not as good as even a lowly warrior unit of 100. The general unit has much better stats, but can't plug holes, hold the line, etc. And they can get surrounded and overwhelmed fast. No fun having a hero unit that cannot fight on the front lines but likes hiding in the back.

Good old Boatie, always a good follower of my mods. I just want a few things from 1.5 such as new ogres, minotaurs etc. Much of the rest, to me, is superfluous and will be soon reaching the point where I have to remove units from the 500 limit EDU to make room for my own modding.

I am using the exact same warhammer points system from the army books. A certain points value between so and so equals a certain size of regiment in the EDU. Unit sizes range from 250 down to size 25 for a unit which costs 701-900 points (the highest so far). So obviously that means hero, lord and special character regiments, which cost far, far in excess of even the best regular troops, will have smaller regiments. It's not the case as you describe though, in fact some were far too powerful and I have had to make the decision to only give mounts to faction leaders. Most other un-named lords and heroes will be foot troops, simply for balance sake.

One other much needed change was no more cheating empire halberdiers and dwarf hammerers. Just because they can purchase shields in the army book does not mean they can use them in close combat while wielding two handed weapons. Since their primary focus is close combat and you can't give them a missile defense bonus in the EDU, shields are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by boatie View Post
    To be honest, I am waiting for this more than 1.5. Nice effort dude!

One suggestion. Since MII is a regiment-based system, if you introduce heroes, don't lower their unit numbers and then pat their other stats. That doesn't work because they are not very effective as troops. Have them the same unit size as other units with somewhat better stats (so they are the equal of 2 or 3 of the same unit). For example, I notice a dwarf general unit of 30 is not as good as even a lowly warrior unit of 100. The general unit has much better stats, but can't plug holes, hold the line, etc. And they can get surrounded and overwhelmed fast. No fun having a hero unit that cannot fight on the front lines but likes hiding in the back.

Skarsnik. Will be mounted leading a unit of rider-less squigs. Already in game and works well, just haven't added the new Skarsnik model to game yet.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Night Goblin Big Boss wearing light chain armour and holding the night goblins faction/army standard.

Army standards are the only unit I have chosen a magic item for, up to the value of 50 points. Whichever magic standard/dwarf runic standard/daemonic icon standard translates best to the Med2 engine is used, while trying to keep some variety between the factions. One faction banner unit may have a fear causing banner, another may have a banner which increases charge value. etc. Of course, there are special named characters which already have magic items assigned to them in the army books. Most of those have been converted well from paper.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Great stuff! Maybe you could put all the previews in this thread.

Krystoforos's Avatar Biarchus

Great news! I hope that some talented modders will help You. It's nice to know that soon there will be COW 1.5, The Sundering and Your Hardcore Submod

Night Goblin allied giants.

Cool giant. Will the goblins act like riders and have animations?

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Cool giant. Will the goblins act like riders and have animations?
    Afraid not, it's just for flavour. I haven't rigged the bones yet and played in game, but will try to get some overall movement on the goblin so it doesn't look like a total statue, but it won't be animated. Technically it's (probably) possible by making the giant an elephant or cavalry, but 1) elephant giants can cause crashes and are either stupidly powerful or a waste of time. 2) cavalry giants would act like cavalry which wouldn't be very good. 3) Infantry giants work well and are balanced. They do what they are supposed to; get stuck in on the front line and stay there fighting. To me now giants are no longer one of the novelty units in CoW, which is why I'm putting the effort in to add more varieties. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do the same to daemon princes (was going to make units of exalted daemons), they crash the game when made into infantry.

The only little problem I've found with giants now is sometimes when a giant takes a massive hit, from say a cannon, occasionally the death animation won't fire and the corpse will be standing up. Fault of the animation I guess, but it's not game crashing.

Ixor_Drakar's Avatar Senator

Really looking forward to this, keep up the great work.
    I survived the Mayan Apocalypse 12/21/12

Quote Originally Posted by Ixor_Drakar View Post
    Really looking forward to this, keep up the great work.
    Thank you. One of the reasons I started the new topic was to drum up some interest and make sure I get this done in a timely fashion.

Herald of Nurgle holding the Nurgle faction standard Thanks to T&D for the chain link models, stolen from one of his fantastic old/unused models (with permission of course).

Take your time. Been playing Skyrim. That is probably the first game that did dragons right (although they are too nerfed in the game). Normally, I like to change up the EDU, but with your new mod, I will play it like you have devised it. Looking forward to this. Shogun II blows and have no desire to came back to it.

Mootland Halfling spear militia.

Poor wizard! Hey cool halflings. Some of the pics arent showing correctly. And dont forget to cover the nipples.

Haha ha ! wizard and nurglings are awersome.
    All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas.

hah! love the nurgling thats hanging off the bell and 'expressing' himself. looking forward to this! cheers

Slayer hero holding the Karak Kadrin army banner. Dwarves are one of very few factions which will have more than one army banner. In storm of chaos rulebook there are rules for slayer only armies.

Added new hair, which will only be added to slayer heroes/dragon slayers/daemon slayers. Poly count is too high for troll and giant slayers. Will think of another way to improve their hair...anything is better than what they currently have.

Last edited by Reiksfart; November 19, 2011 at 05:10 AM.

Page 1 of 58 12345678910112651 ... LastLast