Thread: Great Job

Default Great Job

I've been playing 1.9b all day (finished my last exam) and had forgotten how excellent this mod is/was. All I can say is a big thank you for porting this over to 1.5 - the better AI is making for a good challenge.

I have also introduced an extra little house rule for myself. Rather than using the retraining bug to my advantage, after each battle I CTRL-A and CTRL-M the army. Now I need a constant stream of new recruits rather than being able to retrain an amry back to full strength in one turn, and I am also much more careful with my veterans.

Will I be able to recruit legions in Gaul in a relatively short time? I hope not, the campaign is over such a short time period that I doubt they would have been able to organise this in time.... I think I would reather rely more on barbarian auxliaries.

Anyway - thanks again on behalf of all satisfied customers..... (unless others feel like using this thread to show appreciation)

Default Re: Great Job

I concur. This is a great mod. Its challenging from the start and the use of historically accurate characters makes it absorbing. BRAVO to all those involved!

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

I also concur, the only problem with it is that those Gauls are so damn annoying!

Empedocles's Avatar Domesticus

GAuls are easy, try facing a full army of horse archers as Crassus!
    This mod is AWESOME.

(I didn't know of the CTRL+A CTROL+M feature, interesting....)

Diego, from Argentina

I have been playing the gauls for the last two day. The campaign got a bit easy as their archers cause devastating damage to the Roman legions. Thus...I easily won the gaul campaign on hard/hard. You do get pretty far by using the available troops even without retraining any of your forces (I alway lacked money). I had the Romans out of Gaul within 6 or 7 turns...and I took my time to make concentrated attacks always leading two stacks or more into battle. And - off course - I always played manually.

Battles are great fun and I think everything is well balanced, even missile stats seem to be, and I think the main reason for me winning is due to the fact that the Roman Ai does not use their pila effectively enough. And that is hardly anything the team could do something about. Great job!
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

yea i havent lost a battle yet - although i just had a close one due to attrition rates. do the TFT team still make use of seperate EDUs to nerf the human unit stats etc?

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy1973
    yea i havent lost a battle yet - although i just had a close one due to attrition rates. do the TFT team still make use of seperate EDUs to nerf the human unit stats etc?
    Human units have 1 HP, everyone else gets 2. As far as I can tell...

Stuie's Avatar Laudir Agus Mir

Quote Originally Posted by eXc|Imperator
    Human units have 1 HP, everyone else gets 2. As far as I can tell...
    That is correct, sir.

Wow - it's truly awesome (and humbling) to see the old timers (and new timers ) who are present in this thread. Thanks for the support, guys!!

Miles

Got a problem with a CTD in the Ceasar campaign. A round-end-ctd . Anyone can help?
    But I really like this mod. After RTR getting back my long missed Senate and the challenging battels...wow. Just a question...the victory conditions of the Julii are, more or less, to conquer the whole world. Is that correct? I thought it was to destroy Gaul and the Lincarii Side and, of course, cross the Rubicon and conquer Rome? Are the other victory conditions secondary, or is there a diffrence between long and short campaign?

But thanks a lot for that mod!

Ruhe in Frieden, Calvin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bello Gallicum
    Got a problem with a CTD in the Ceasar campaign. A round-end-ctd . Anyone can help?
    Where and when? Is it repeatable? Is there any way around it? Can you post a save game?

But I really like this mod. After RTR getting back my long missed Senate and the challenging battels...wow. Just a question...the victory conditions of the Julii are, more or less, to conquer the whole world. Is that correct? I thought it was to destroy Gaul and the Lincarii Side and, of course, cross the Rubicon and conquer Rome? Are the other victory conditions secondary, or is there a diffrence between long and short campaign?

But thanks a lot for that mod!
    Julii need three triumphs including the one for Gaul - that means you need to conquer Gaul and two other areas; the exact make-up of the different areas is list in your faction leader's traits. You also need to reduce Pompey to fewer than 25 provinces and capture Rome.

Another little tip if you are finding the battles too easy is to play with general cam. I was turned off it in 1.2 cos the view was so restrictive you couldnt see everything that was going on, but in 1.5 the cam is relaxed slightly more. Used in conjuction with zooming in the radar map - you can get a good idea of everything thats going on now.

The pluses of using general cam are that you now dont have total control over your units and so must fight concentrated and not split your forces up. You also get a great sense of atmosphere, far better than the other viewing angles. It also makes sieges (defence and attack) much much harder - and you cant rout an army so easy - or chase down routers while their main line still stands.

It takes a little getting used to but well worth it for the realistic effect on gameplay and atmosphere

Miles

It's really at the beginning of the Campaign. Just attacked the city of the first senat mission (forgot the name). In the next round it crashed. It should be the 7th round...and it is repeating. Haven't tried to go around it. What about show_error? can I use it with the shortcuts of the mod...and where to post the savegame?

Ruhe in Frieden, Calvin.

It's really at the beginning of the Campaign. Just attacked the city of the first senat mission (forgot the name). In the next round it crashed. It should be the 7th round...and it is repeating. Haven't tried to go around it. What about show_error? can I use it with the shortcuts of the mod...and where to post the savegame?
    You can email me the save: smdaly at gmail dot com.

Activating -show_err is a little bit tricky. You need to right click on the campaign exe file and select "Open with WinRAR". Then click on the SFX button in the WinRAR window, then click the "Advanced SFX Options" button. In the Advanced SFX Options window on the General tab, you will see a box that says "Run after extraction". Just add -show_err to that (after -mod:The_First_Triumvirate). Then click OK, OK, and close the WinRAR window. Now when you run the game -show_err will be active.

Miles

I tried another campaign. It's working well. Sorry Stuie, but I was too exited to wait. You get my next bad Savegame
    But it's running really badly. Lagging and stuff. Is that normal? I mean in the campaign map. Still. Fun pwnd the Helvetian in less then 4 Rounds!

Ruhe in Frieden, Calvin.

But it's running really badly. Lagging and stuff. Is that normal? I mean in the campaign map.
    I haven't experienced anything like that... nor have I heard anyone else report such a problem. What video settings are you using for the campaign map?

Miles

Well-as high as possible. As always. If I am the only one it's probably just me. But what am I complaining about. It's working. It's challenging and therefor a lot of fun. If I have any real problems I contact the forum again. Now I have to kick some Gauls...well... you know.

Ruhe in Frieden, Calvin.