Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    I got it the first day, and I've only experienced one bug, and it was only three days ago. All my skills where screwed up. All the magical things, which I've never used, was suddenly at 75 each, while everything else was set at 15
    That's a bug or a bonus?

Go SKYRIM! Best game ever!

Not really.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

On a programmer's point of view i have to say the skyrim is the most impressive game i ever saw. The dept, the number of quest, characters, variability of the combvat system and events(most of which are random) are all so overwhelming. Of course when your executing a game with so many layers and angles your bound to have some bugs and glitches on your first try. Thats why we humans invested patching.

The questline is interesting enough. If you played morrowind or oblivion youd probably be already caught up by the story. If you havent and your still not impressed it just means that you havent delved enough into it. If you take time to actually read the books and the lore youll see that it does start to seem very realistic. all characters are varied and different. There are so many random encounters that you cant go through by just 1 playthrough.

And even though some people say that the combat system is a bit stale, well i say to you, you dont know what the fck your talking about. No other game lets you be a swordmaster, an archer, an assassin, or a mage. "but you just whack a sword, its boring". Well then tell me how your gonna improve the system? Huh? comon? Of course you wont find sword whacking as flashy as you would find gun slinging. What with all the flashy bright lights and different colors.
    Last edited by Xellos_Moon; April 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
    http://e-sim.org/lan.126366/

Je t'aime ma petite chou!

And even though some people say that the combat system is a bit stale, well i say to you, you dont know what the fck your talking about. No other game lets you be a swordmaster, an archer, an assassin, or a mage. "

Can't say I understand that part, EVERY RPG since the birth of RPGs does "allow you to be a swordmaster, assassin or mage".

but you just whack a sword, its boring". Well then tell me how your gonna improve the system? Huh? comon? Of course you wont find sword whacking as flashy as you would find gun slinging. What with all the flashy bright lights and different colors.
    Play Dark Souls and tell me that.

How you're gonna improve the system?

Skyrim is a non-skill button masher, it's a fact. Unlike in Dark Souls or games with a combat in that style, there's no worry about dodging, parrying and riposting, rolling ( there isn't even rolling ... ) all that matters in Skyrim is how strong you are, really.

Try Dark Souls when it comes out to PC , friend. Or buy it for console if you have one. You'll see what true videogame swordfighting is.
    Last edited by beckyolt; April 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

LOL, what a coincidence, I double-posted too.

I haven't bought the game yet - have they released patches to sort out the PC specific problems?
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    I haven't bought the game yet - have they released patches to sort out the PC specific problems?
    yes, not all, but most.
    the texture problems can be remedied with the high res texture pack (provided your video card has the VRAM for it).

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    Skyrim is a non-skill button masher, it's a fact. Unlike in Dark Souls or games with a combat in that style, there's no worry about dodging, parrying and riposting, rolling ( there isn't even rolling ... ) all that matters in Skyrim is how strong you are, really.
    i think it's a bit unfair to call Skyrim a non-skill button smasher. with my character i have to know when to block, when to attack and when to power attack. i also keep my distance with some enemies to dodge their power attacks since some of them are slower but powerful. i also have to know where to shoot when pulling enemies to me with the bow. it's far from Diablo-esque button smashing.

Try Dark Souls when it comes out to PC , friend. Or buy it for console if you have one. You'll see what true videogame swordfighting is.
    from what i've been hearing, it's going to be a worse console port than Skyrim ever was.

Pεsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Can't say I understand that part, EVERY RPG since the birth of RPGs does "allow you to be a swordmaster, assassin or mage".

Play Dark Souls and tell me that.

How you're gonna improve the system?

No offence, but Dark Souls is a linear action-rpg with virtually none of the benefits of what makes Skyrim awesome. It should not even be compared with that game, it have far more in common with the likes of God of War and the old LOTR movie games. Skyrim is a free roam open world game set in a low-fantasy setting. Yes it had its errors, particularly at release (and after the first couple of patches) but don't do it the injustice of comparing it to a game of a completely different genre like Dark Souls.

Also, rolling in plate armour.. lol.
    Last edited by Pεsan; April 22, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

i think it's a bit unfair to call Skyrim a non-skill button smasher. with my character i have to know when to block, when to attack and when to power attack. i also keep my distance with some enemies to dodge their power attacks since some of them are slower but powerful. i also have to know where to shoot when pulling enemies to me with the bow. it's far from Diablo-esque button smashing.
    You have to know when to bash and when to power attack, but that's it.

from what i've been hearing, it's going to be a worse console port than Skyrim ever was.
    Probably. That's why he should buy it on consoles.

No offence, but Dark Souls is a linear action-rpg with virtually none of the benefits of what makes Skyrim awesome. It should not even be compared with that game, it have far more in common with the likes of God of War and the old LOTR movie games. Skyrim is a free roam open world game set in a low-fantasy setting. Yes it had its errors, particularly at release (and after the first couple of patches) but don't do it the injustice of comparing it to a game of a completely different genre like Dark Souls.

We're talking about combat. That can be compared .

And it's a videogame. A game that intends to be an old-school dungeon crawler. Who cares about the realism of rolling in plate armor? ( Your rolling is actually hugely crippled when you try to roll with it BTW )

Skyrim's win for me is the exploration , the expansive map, good music and lore, but that's it.
    Last edited by beckyolt; May 25, 2012 at 06:02 AM.

I'd put 'Dark Messiah of Might and Magic' out there. If the Elder Scrolls games adopted that game's combat system, they'd be all kinds of awesome.

Anyway, I've recently upgraded my GPU (because the PSU that blew took the GPU down with it - it was a good PSU (Corsair 650w), not a cheapie). How will Skyrim fly on my current system?

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Pεsan View Post

Bit like those WW2 games where you can leap around easily, despite being in full combat gear. Good luck doing that in real life.

Anyway, I've recently upgraded my GPU (because the PSU that blew took the GPU down with it - it was a good PSU (Corsair 650w), not a cheapie). How will Skyrim fly on my current system?
    interesting fact, not all power supplies from the same company are made the same. Corsair, like many other PSU vendors rely on different manufacturers. if your Corsair PSU model in particular was manufactured by say, the likes of Seasonic or Delta, then it likely wouldn't have failed when it did.

can't say the same if it was made by CWT.

have a look here.

as for your 6850, if you're running at 1920x1080 or lower it should keep the game above 60 fps on High and with FXAA.
    on Ultra and with 4x MSAA it should be around 55-65. there have been driver and game optimizations since November of last year so you might get a bit more or a little less than what i've mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    interesting fact, not all power supplies from the same company are made the same. Corsair, like many other PSU vendors rely on different manufacturers. if your Corsair PSU model in particular was manufactured by say, the likes of Seasonic or Delta, then it likely wouldn't have failed when it did.

can't say the same if it was made by CWT.

have a look here.

as for your 6850, if you're running at 1920x1080 or lower it should keep the game above 60 fps on High and with FXAA.
    on Ultra and with 4x MSAA it should be around 55-65. there have been driver and game optimizations since November of last year so you might get a bit more or a little less than what i've mentioned.
    Interesting read, thanks for that. A quick look tells me that my current Corsair PSU was made by Seasonic. I had no idea there was such a wide range - and I'll be sure to check that aspect next time I have to get a PSU which, hopefully, won't be for a long time. I'm not too sure, but it does appear that there's a good chance my previous PSU was made by CWT. At least I know for sure who's made my current one. The old PSU's going to be RMA'd shortly - with Corsair paying my shipping fees as I still have the proof of purchase. So, I can either pop that on Amazon, or keep it as a spare - depends on what they send back, because the old PSU's discontinued now. If they send me the updated V2, then I'll probably hold onto it as a spare.

Thanks for the info about the game's performance. 1920x1080 on Ultra and 4xMSAA at 55-65 fps will do me fine.
    Last edited by SonOfCrusader76; April 24, 2012 at 01:42 PM.

I'd put 'Dark Messiah of Might and Magic' out there. If the Elder Scrolls games adopted that game's combat system, they'd be all kinds of awesome.

That game really needs a sequel.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

I'm not sure about 6850 but current AMD driver have some issue when enabling AA. AT least on my 5770. I have to turn off AA.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

This was a well done review. I agreed with a lot of your points.

The one thing that upset me was the quests. When I was watching videos about the game (before it came out) Tod kept saying that unlike Oblivion, Skyrim would have a new system where it would look around where your quest started and it would take you to places where you haven't explored before. When I heard this, I was quite pleased. But then after playing, I realized that they only fixed the problem half way, the other problem was the type of quests. They may have changed up the locations, but the quests where I have to go find a damn book or some piece of armor or a weapon gets annoying after the first couple..

No mention of all of the cut fundamentals from Oblivion to Skyrim?

This thread is for discussion of the review, not the game.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

The amount of freezes is annoying. But good game otherwise, I agree with alot of the Op's sentiments.