Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FO 0.9 - Bugs, Errors and Installation Difficulties

Default Re: FO 0.51 - Bugs, Errors and Installation Difficulties

Since I removed the negative farm levels, I've played to about 235 bce with only one CTD which didn't repeat when I reloaded the game. Population growth is pretty slow compared to some other mods, which is good, but with negative base farming levels growth would probably remain negative for decades after a conquest -- sewer systems can only do so much, and farms and colonies and Policies take forever to build. So far, Rome is my only huge city.

I'm having a blast, but the poor Gauls, Germans and Spaniards have not managed to conquer a single province. The Ptolomies are doing very well. Carthage has taken a couple of African provinces and one Spanish province, but they've lost all of Sicily to Rome.

Just for fun, I adjusted all Roman units (not Italic, just Roman) to zero turn recruitment. I feel like Pompey the Great, stamping my feet and having legions rise up all over Italy. Seriously, it really does feel quite historical -- you can raise half an army at Rome in one turn, and another half from the rest of Italy, if you have the money.

I also activated naval units in the EDU and made Marian Legions dependent on the reforms. Should the Polybian units disappear with the Marian Reforms? I sometimes wonder if they should, or if we should just have the option of raising troops from the head count. Maybe "Marian" cohorts should be a type of mercenary unit only available to Rome.

Thanks again for this.

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Haha, cool I'm glad you're enjoying it. Thanks for fixing that problem, and it won't matter with the population growth much, because it was negative in every city before (I've bumped the farm values up by 3 points).

Most AI factions seem to be doing fairly poorly. I'm going to have to find a way to fix that, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

I think I'll do that with the Roman troops, except for the triarii and equites. If the hastati are 0-turn, there is no reason why the velites shouldn't be

I would expect the hastati, principes and triarii to disappear, since that is one of the main parts of the change - that structure disappeared (though many think it was more of a gradual shift). As for the other troops, I'm not so sure, because other units aren't replaced by new ones.
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Not really, perhaps Asia Minor

By the way, since you've played a fairly long campaign, what do you think of the long build times? Should I shorten them a bit? I don't think they'll be everyone's kettle of fish.

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

I am getting a CTD when I select recruitment on Hamozeia...three times now

Hmm, it must not like one of the units there or something. Is that from the start, or have you been building stuff there (and is it as the Seleucids)? I seem to be able to select the recruitment there without it crashing. Also, I don't think I have any Carmania-specific units, so it should CTD in some of the neighbouring provinces if it is one of the units.

Edit: Come to think of it, try deleting map.rwm. I have heard that it is possibl to get CTDs like that if you don't delete it and change game files.
    Last edited by Caligula Caesar; September 24, 2012 at 04:43 PM.

It is from the start, I had already deleted map.rwm as I had just installed patch 3

I've just installed this mod and finally no crashes after splash screen. Awesome. It is really close to what I want from a mod (a combo of EB and RTR VII).
    Currently I am having this problem with my Macedonian conquest. I cannot save, though I can when I tried with the Achaians. I haven't tried a campaign with other factions yet. I'll also change the unit stats and pm them to you, oh Caesar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirionis9 View Post
    I've just installed this mod and finally no crashes after splash screen. Awesome. It is really close to what I want from a mod (a combo of EB and RTR VII).
    Currently I am having this problem with my Macedonian conquest. I cannot save, though I can when I tried with the Achaians. I haven't tried a campaign with other factions yet. I'll also change the unit stats and pm them to you, oh Caesar.
    That is just what I think...EB and RTR VII combined and it has almost all the factions I need for a Hellenistic kingdom campaign.

About the crashes-- have you added the patches
    ?
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; September 25, 2012 at 07:16 AM.

No crashes yet. No save ability in Macedonian campaign (only this have I played).

Quote Originally Posted by Mirionis9 View Post
    No crashes yet. No save ability in Macedonian campaign (only this have I played).
    Sorry that is what I meant the second patch corrected the 'save-game' issue

Thanks I was inspired by EB in several things, actually. The government was originally thought up as a mix between EB and RTR-PE, with a few of my own things added on (I thought it up quite a long time ago, back before I knew what the government structure was like for FoE). Anyway, the mod is only getting better at the moment. Thanks to everyone who is playing, I'm discovering new things to fix every day

I think I know what's going on with the savegames. To get the unit size script to work, I put some other stuff after it, but for some reason it is getting stuck on the stuff afterwards, which happens to include making the Macedonian king attack another army (and a few other things, but it doesn't seem to matter to those factions, though those events aren't happening). I'll play around and try and fix it.

See if you can find my settlement crash too please

You ask if build times are too long.

To build a province government from scratch takes 140 turns plus 42 turns for two colonies, for 182 turns total. That's 46 years of building only governments and colonies.

If you go the client route from scratch to home province, it takes 182 turns plus 42 turns for colonies, or 224 turns total. That's 56 years.

Then there is apparently another Marian Reform colony that takes 32 turns. That's 8 more years.

That seems like a long time, except that you can build usable units after only 40 turns if you want to integrate right away, or after only 4 turns if you make it a client state. I like that balance -- long development times overall, but decent troops quickly available. The long development times are not a punishment, but a way to make your cities even better. Not unrealistic either, as few cities were huge and fully developed by 14 CE.

However, I think the client kingdom process is too long and unnecessarily complicated. I have two suggestions:

1. eliminate the Integration_II govt type, allow the building of a level I colony under a Client_II govt, and make Province_I the upgrade from Client_II.
    2. eliminate the occupation_II govt type -- if a player wants to go from Client_I to the integration process, he just destroys the client_I building and starts again from scratch, just like he would if he were at subjugation_I and decided to turn it into a client state.

This would reduce the govt tree by two buildings, shorten the total time for the client kingdom process by 24 turns, and make the client_II govt type a more viable choice. The edits to the EDB could be a bear, but you probably want to change a lot of the min govt building requirements anyway at this point.

Just some thoughts I had as I was goofing off yesterday trying to get timber and iron exports activated, meant to be constructive -- you've obviously put a lot of time into this and I really like it. Well done and thanks again.

Now off to RL.

Okay, no sooner did I post that, than I began to think that maybe it's better to have the client process take a lot longer, because if there is only an 18 turn difference, the choice is really only between better income with delayed units vs better public order with instant units. Maybe you have the perfect mix as it is and I'm just frustrated because I have a bunch of client_II cities that will eventually have to integrate if I want the Marian units, and while they are clients they can't even build colonies.

I can't make up my mind if I think you should change it, and that's probably the sign of a well balanced system.

Now really off to RL.

Hehe I think I will definitely remove the occupation_II building, as it is really quite pointless and just makes things more complicated. As for the integration_II building, you've really hit on the reason why I have that building. I think it would be a bit of a no-brainer which path you should take to governing without it. But I might shorten the construction time for it, since it is integration from a fairly good base.

On a side issue, I've just realised I'm not 100% sure that the Marian reforms are happening I have "marian_reforms_disabled" commented out, so hopefully that means that they are enabled, but if anyone comes across them, can you mention it here?

As for the Harmozeia issue, I am not sure what I can do when I don't have the CTD either... it is possible that I forgot to put a file into the upload, though I'm not sure how that would cause a CTD. Can you check through other settlements and see if they crash, and can others see if recruitment in Harmozeia crashes for you?

As I said in other post cannot recruit elephants, or mercenaries, but also black smiths cannot seem to be able to build a further tier

Try importing iron first

ah ok thanks. What about mercs ?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast