Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
I think I might give reduced trade income to client states rather than none, because as it is one loses out not just in the settlement itself, but also in those that trade with it. I still need to decide, though. After all, one doesn't get trade income with rebel regions, which one would in reality trade with, so one can't really think of "trade" as trade in the normal sense. Good point about landlocked factions; then again, I should think a landlocked faction would be at a disadvantage economically. I'll have to see how things work out. Anything is possible at the moment.
Re: landlocked provinces.

Inland river trade should be a very significant factor. If a province is connected to an adjacent province by a navigable river, it should greatly enhance its trade with that province, much more so than a road. The economy within a province should also be greatly enhanced by the presence of a navigable river. Real poverty should only belong to provinces that have no water communications -- roads help, but they are no substitute for water transport.

So perhaps the answer to inland trade is powerful river ports buildings where there is a navigable river. The river ports would provide increased trade and tax revenue.