Thread: Suggestions and Ideas Thread

Default Suggestions and Ideas Thread

Ok I start this topic for anyone who has anything in mind to increase our modders' workload

I was considering changing the boring names "faction leader -heir" to more suitable for each faction (as was done for Rome in Extended realism)

so the Greek factions should have Basileus for faction leader and Diadochos for faction heir. The ptolemeys should have Pharaoh and I don't know what.
    Last edited by Caligula Caesar; March 13, 2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Stickied it.

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Default Re: Suggestions and Ideas Thread

I have done that, actually

Quote Originally Posted by Expanded_BI
    {EMT_SPQR_FACTION_LEADER} Roman Consul I
    {EMT_BARBARIANS_FACTION_LEADER} Barbarian Nobleman
    {EMT_BELGAE_FACTION_LEADER} Remi Warlord
    {EMT_PERGAMON_FACTION_LEADER} Pergamene Basileios (King)
    {EMT_MACEDON_FACTION_LEADER} Macedonian Basileios (King)
    {EMT_EGYPT_FACTION_LEADER} Ptolemaic Basileios (King)
    {EMT_SELEUCID_FACTION_LEADER} Seleucid Basileios (King)
    {EMT_CARTHAGE_FACTION_LEADER} Carthaginian First Commander
    {EMT_PARTHIA_FACTION_LEADER} Parthian King
    {EMT_PONTUS_FACTION_LEADER} Pontic Basileios (King)
    {EMT_GAULS_FACTION_LEADER} Arverni Warlord
    {EMT_GERMANS_FACTION_LEADER} Cherusci Warlord
    {EMT_GREEK_CITIES_FACTION_LEADER} Hellenic Nobleman
    {EMT_ARMENIA_FACTION_LEADER} Armenian Arkah
    {EMT_DACIA_FACTION_LEADER} Getaic Chieftain
    {EMT_ACHAIANS_FACTION_LEADER} Achaian Strategos Megas
    {EMT_MAURYANS_FACTION_LEADER} Mauryan Samraat (Emperor)
    {EMT_SCYTHIA_FACTION_LEADER} Nomadic Warlord
    {EMT_SPAIN_FACTION_LEADER} Celtiberian Warlord
    {EMT_BACTRIA_FACTION_LEADER} Baktrian Basileios (King)

{EMT_SPQR_FACTION_HEIR} Roman Consul II
    {EMT_BARBARIANS_FACTION_HEIR} Barbarian Nobleman
    {EMT_BELGAE_FACTION_HEIR} Remi Prince
    {EMT_PERGAMON_FACTION_HEIR} Pergamene Kleronomos Basileios (Prince)
    {EMT_MACEDON_FACTION_HEIR} Macedonian Kleronomos Basileios (Prince)
    {EMT_EGYPT_FACTION_HEIR} Ptolemaic Kleronomos Basileios (Prince)
    {EMT_SELEUCID_FACTION_HEIR} Seleucid Kleronomos Basileios (Prince)
    {EMT_CARTHAGE_FACTION_HEIR} Carthaginian Second Commander
    {EMT_PARTHIA_FACTION_HEIR} Parthian Prince
    {EMT_PONTUS_FACTION_HEIR} Pontic Kleronomos Basileios (Prince)
    {EMT_GAULS_FACTION_HEIR} Arverni Prince
    {EMT_GERMANS_FACTION_HEIR} Cherusci Prince
    {EMT_GREEK_CITIES_FACTION_HEIR} Hellenic Nobleman
    {EMT_ARMENIA_FACTION_HEIR} Hayk Arkahyazn (Prince)
    {EMT_DACIA_FACTION_HEIR} Getaic Prince
    {EMT_ACHAIANS_FACTION_HEIR} Achaian Second Commander
    {EMT_MAURYANS_FACTION_HEIR} Mauryan Yuvaraata (Prince)
    {EMT_SCYTHIA_FACTION_HEIR} Nomadic Prince
    {EMT_SPAIN_FACTION_HEIR} Celtiberian Prince
    {EMT_BACTRIA_FACTION_HEIR} Bactrian Kleronomos Basileios (Prince)
    I did the same for the normal Family Members, calling many of them "Nobleman" or for the Successors "Satrap". And there are a few others where I found something.

Edit: Stickied
    Last edited by Caligula Caesar; March 13, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Great!!! But Basileios is not king but a greek name meaning royal. Basileus is. Also kleronomos is someone that inherits something (usually used for money houses jewellery) but the heir for a kingdom is Diadochos.

True. I just checked and it is Basileus indeed. And good point with Diadochos - I know enough to know that the Diadochs were the Successors Would it be ok to say "[Royal] Diadochos" to avoid the confusion the name might provoke (since the empires are the Lands of the Diadochs)

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
    True. I just checked and it is Basileus indeed. And good point with Diadochos - I know enough to know that the Diadochs were the Successors Would it be ok to say "[Royal] Diadochos" to avoid the confusion the name might provoke (since the empires are the Lands of the Diadochs)
    For me Diadochos is just fine. Of course if that used for 300 BC then it would definitely be confusing... [royal]=basilikos is something that you can't use cause greeks didn't use to say basilikos diadochos.
    Last edited by AtlasGR; March 13, 2010 at 11:41 AM.

Libertus

THE FURTHTER AN ARMY GETS FROM ITS OWN TERRITORY THE MORE THE UP KEEP OF THE UNITS BECOME. AS IN REALITY, THE FURTHER YOU ARE FROM HOME THE LOMGER THE SURPLY LINES BECOME. YOU GUYS CAN WORK ON THE IDEA IF YOU WANT. MANY A GOOD MANS DREAMS WERE QUASHED BECAUSE OF THIS.

I assume you didn't intend the CAPS

Unfortunately, that is not possible, because it is hardcoded. That comes in in NTW I think, but unfortunately that is the problem with working with an old engine... the benefits being that it is based on the right time, people know it almost inside-out, and it is very moddable. Anyway, back to the point... factions will have bonuses for recruiting in home regions, and indeed they will find it difficult to recruit factional troops from outer regions. But to actually have supply lines is impossible.

Default Add a new conflict

Looks like this will be another excellent mod. Thanks for the extreme undertaking.

I’d favor a new element reflecting political conflict. You could apply this surprise to any faction, but because of the effort, maybe only 1 or 2. I’ll use Rome as an example:
    1. When you’ve expanded into Gaul or Greece far enough, the SPQR turns on you, which creates a new SPQR faction. It controls Rome and most or all of Italy, with a large, strong army. This would dramatically reduce your economy and ability to recruit new troops. So you’d be forced to take back Rome under difficult conditions.
    2. Create a couple new character traits, like “Lusts for Power” and “Wants to rule Rome” (maybe utilize the BI’s logic that turned generals to rebels) and when they rebel, give them a large army (like 4 or 5 formations of 20 units), 1 or 2 nearby cities and the desire to take over more. For the latter trait, have them march on Rome.
    If any of these suggestions appeal to you, I have ideas on more of the details.

Thanks

I think that is possible, since RSII uses a script for a Roman Civil War. However, there is a big difference between me and RS. And RTR and EB, for that matter. And that is the fact that, despite me trying not to be, I am only one person And this particular person is not experienced in scripting, and at this point is working hard to get proper units in the game

To reply to the first post regarding Egypt, the king was both Pharaoh (for the egyptians) and Basileus (for the greek/macedonian settlers and "dominions" oversea) so both titles are correct.

I've only played the Ptolemies so far so what should be implemented according to me are:

- more diversity regarding cultures and religion as it feels a bit too generic regarding the greek factions; for example, Egypt should have Sarapis, Isis, Harpocrate (the new official triad) along the greek only gods (Poseidon, Apollo, etc) and more traditional egyptian pantheon gods like Ptah or Amun.

- a city mod, just some cities should be allowed to reach huge, it could be done just by adding a hidden ressource condition to the imperial palace building (and hidden ressource Alexandreia, Seleukia, Antiocheia, Carthago, Roma...).

- Some Psf on the map.

Otherwise the mod is really enjoyable, especially if like me you like playing with the hellenic factions.
    Last edited by Nicov55; October 31, 2014 at 03:48 AM.

Thanks for your comments Sorry I didn't reply before now, life is busy right now I've been trying to make factions more unique, it's already much improved on previous versions. Yeah, the coverage of special buildings is a bit patchy in the east, I don't think I've added the Egyptian ones yet (and there should be quite a few!). Egypt should however already have Sarapis, Isis and the Ptolemaic ruler cult as their unique temples, I'd better check if I didn't botch the coding on that!

Fair point about the cities. In RTW all the cities tend to eventually become large or huge cities. Needless to say that isn't how it was in reality - the biggest city would tend to swallow up the population from the smaller cities (thus Rome was by a long way the biggest city in Italy, and in fact given the poor hygiene etc in it it would need considerable inwards migration just to maintain its size). I've been playing EUIV and it solves the problem by having 'base tax' which varies for settlements - so Istanbul has 15, other cities around there have about 6, and cities in sparsely populated areas have 1 or 2. I have a bit of that with farming income being quite important and heavily nerfed for regions with poor agriculture, and some very highly productive areas, and there are some variations in growth rate, but as you say, a hidden resources system as you describe would probably be a good idea (I can go a step further and not just stop you from building the next level of city, but also 'artificially' slowing city growth once the city gets past a certain stage).

I'm not entirely sure how to work out the capping though (i.e. how inclusive should each level be and should it vary between faction/cultures?). I'll have to work something out.

What's Psf?

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

PSFs are Permanent Stone Forts
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Ah. I thought they were only M2...

Well ahowl11 spoke about implementing them in RTRP and that Rome Total History did it, so apparently it's possible.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Hmm, well I do remember the rest of the RTR-VII team thinking them impossible, so I'll have to check that out!

leoni's Avatar Campidoctor

surely it is, you just can put in a agent or character and let live them as long as possible-no movement...but you can so place forts from the start, and some of them will last very long....i have done this to show up minor settlements or strategic fortifications, which i canot add by the games limit...so its nice, when you start the game...

Ah. But as soon as it gets captured the fort can disappear, which makes it a bit pointless imo.

Someone said something about immobile and immortal agents. But I have no idea how it works exactly.

Ah, I'd guess you stick in a diplomat and leave it there. It can be made immortal via traits on Alexander (and immovable in the same way but Alexander isn't needed). Yeah, that would work, especially if the rebel faction can be allowed to have diplomats. I'd need Alexander though.

Battles in Rome TW are dictated very differently from real battles because of the fact that you can see the battle map and you can see the enemy's units. Wouldn't it be a good idea to make hiding a lot easier and, if possible, to hide while moving? This would make ambushes and surprises a lot more useful, as well as causing one's playstyle in battle to be completely different. It would cause you to always be vigilant for sneak attacks, send out scout units, skirmish more effectively, etc.

I know I'm a few years late to the party, but if moddable, wouldn't it be fairly easy to patch in? Just by increasing everyone's ability to hide?