Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fortuna Orbis - Map Preview

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Default Fortuna Orbis - Map Preview

As promised, here is the full map preview!

The Land in Colour

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Western Mediterannean

Italy

Cisalpine Gaul

Sicilia (note Hamilcar )

Carthage

Libya

Eastern Mauretania

Western Mauretania

Migdal (this can't be conquered, BTW. It is there as a Terra Incognita for Africa)

Southern Iberia

Celtiberia

Southern Gaul

The Desert Sands

The Barbarians

Britannia

Caledonia

Gaul

Rhineland

Germania

Southern Germania

Eastern Germania

Northern Dacia

Getica

Scythia

Bosporia

Alani

Massagetai and Chorasmia

Tocharia

Eastern Mediterannean (and Western Persia)

Greece

Macedonia

Northern Asia Minor

Armenia

Southern Asia Minor

Syria

Babylonia

Phoenicia, Judaea and Northern Egypt

Cyrene

The Nile

Kush

Persia

Persis

Gedrosia

Gerrhaia

Arabia

Media

Parthia

Dahae

Baktria

Upper Indus

Indus Valley

India Superior

The Land in White

Germania

Southern Germania

Gaul (anyone know how to change the trees so they aren't all snowy in non-snow lands?)

The Alps

Gallaecia

Armenia

Caucasus

Alani

Sakai

Hindu Kush

Feedback is welcome, especially positive feedback . If you think a region/settlement is wrong or you have a good candidate for another one, I am willing to listen, but remember that I am at the maximum, so I have to remove one region to add it. With regards to that, also remember that I am trying to get a fairly consistant regions density, so I can't take any more regions from the Steppe or add for instance Thessalonika when Pella is right next to it.

-----------------------

Credits:

Base heights map - Antonov
    Most further improvements, and regions - Me
    Research - Me, and some from Antonov, Sardauker One and Wien1945
    Textures – Antonov for the Northern ones, me for the rest, including the snow ones. Special thanks to Antonov for tips on the snow ones and Quetzalcoatl for giving me some nice photos of grass for the Semi-Arid Grasses (seen in the Mediterannean, Persia, India etc)

-----------------------

P.S. If anyone wants to help, especially with graphics, PM me. Although, it will be a month or so before there is a truly playable Beta.

Last edited by Caligula Caesar; March 13, 2010 at 09:18 AM.
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Fortuna Orbis - Map Preview

Few comments:
    1) Great topographical mapping...and I say that as someone who's spent a lot of time with those maps.
    2) Why have Tacharioopolis? I've always thought it was best to either stop the map at Ferghana or run it well into the Balkhash area.
    3) Are you going to put more deep forest in Germany? That'll make it easier for the Germans to play to their ambush strengths.
    4) I recommend caution with the cities in mountain passes, like Asaak and Alexandria in the Caucasus. The AI tends to get stuck there unless you make a way for it to go around.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

1. Thanks I used some tricks to sort things out. Map_Ground_Types was a pest to make the first time, but from that I could make map_climates easily. End then it was a simple matter of using a low-density brush to add detail. Map_heights was also tricky, despite having it already generated. It needed a lot of work adding passes etc.
    2. Well, that's where the map happened to end. And that's where the Nomads came from. So I decided it merited a region...
    3. I might, if I can make it not look bad. I think I need different trees
    4. They are necessary sometimes, though. If I see any problems, I'll make sure there is a way around.

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Can't the AI make a naval invasion on the African city being as Terra Incognita ?

If I ever see it doing that, I will block the coast. But it hasn't yet, so I haven't needed to (Same goes for the northern Terra Incognita, BTW)

I would kill for those ground textures !

Simply astonishing map and textures man ! +rep

Thanks

Well, since Quetzl helped with some of the grass textures, you won't have to take things that far

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
    2. Well, that's where the map happened to end. And that's where the Nomads came from. So I decided it merited a region...
    Oh, they come out of the Ferghana Valley instead of from the north? That makes sense, then. How are you doing the nomadic invasion?

3. I might, if I can make it not look bad. I think I need different trees
    Why don't you ask Aqd? I think he has some nice textures.

4. They are necessary sometimes, though. If I see any problems, I'll make sure there is a way around.
    Oh, I'm not arguing that the cities shouldn't exist, just that they should always have a way around them or the AI (same faction, ally, enemy, doesn't matter) gets confused. Check out what I did with Alexandria in the Caucasus--the you have the Kabul/Cophen River running through (or one of its tributaries), then the road follows that down to Purushapura and thence to Taxila, which is near where that river merges with the Indus. The AI follows it quite well in the most recent released version.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    Oh, they come out of the Ferghana Valley instead of from the north? That makes sense, then. How are you doing the nomadic invasion?.
    From what I can tell, yes. Some nomads seem to have come from the north, but it appears that's where the Tocharians came from

Why don't you ask Aqd? I think he has some nice textures..
    I do have my own textures, if you look It's the trees themselves, which I am certain can be changed (EB does that), but I can't work out how to.

Oh, I'm not arguing that the cities shouldn't exist, just that they should always have a way around them or the AI (same faction, ally, enemy, doesn't matter) gets confused. Check out what I did with Alexandria in the Caucasus--the you have the Kabul/Cophen River running through (or one of its tributaries), then the road follows that down to Purushapura and thence to Taxila, which is near where that river merges with the Indus. The AI follows it quite well in the most recent released version.
    I don't think Asaak should be a problem, since the AI shouldn't really attack it, but I'll sort something out for Alexandreia in the Caucasus and a couple of others in the Media/Persia area.

Pella was very well placed in Extd Realism. Why did you move the city south? Maybe cause you heard that it was a harbour?

Thanks

Well, since Quetzl helped with some of the grass textures, you won't have to take things that far
    I'm talking about my own mod, Dark Time:TW

Looks great!

Do not hate a weak child, it may be the son of a tiger.

@AtlasGR: I moved it because that's where it was... it wasn't a harbour, but it wasn't far from the sea. Check here.

@Mr.Blackadder: Really? I didn't know Can you give a link?

@AtlasGR: I moved it because that's where it was... it wasn't a harbour, but it wasn't far from the sea. Check here.

@Mr.Blackadder: Really? I didn't know Can you give a link?
    the problem is that the coastline was different in that area. Pella was a little higher and the golf was coming deeper. Its still ok . I liked the river of Axios there. very nice !!

@Black: Cool You can use my textures I'll sort them out a bit better than they are now and upload them. Can you by any chance make a background screen and a loading screen, please?

@Atlas: Really? Can you by any chance show a map so I can fix it on my map?

@Atlas: Really? Can you by any chance show a map so I can fix it on my map?
    I don't know how to upload an image here. You can find Pella on Google Earth but I can't find a geological map of ancient Greece.

Upload it onto a separate hosting place (eg photobucket.com) and then put a link to it by inserting an image (the mountains icon). Alternatively, go advanced and attach it (at the bottom of the page).

Last edited by AtlasGR; March 14, 2010 at 01:31 AM.

I thought you said Pella was further from the sea back then... that's closer.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast