Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim mods

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Re: Skyrim mods

I'm looking for mods that bring more realism to Skyrim. Yes, I know that Skyrim is a fantasy game but, even so, I think that several aspect of the game could be improved to make it more authentic. So, what do you recommend me?
    You're going to be waiting for a bit.

Since Bethesda has yet to release the mod tools most of the ones that are already out there merely do things like enhance/change the textures and visuals of the environment, NPCs, and weapons/armor or make slight adjustments to existing features. We won't start seeing mods that add weapons and armor, locations, or any other significant additions till those tools come out.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Is there a mod that causes bows to fire as soon as they are fully drawn, for both the player and npcs?

Civitate

Is there a mod that causes bows to fire as soon as they are fully drawn, for both the player and npcs?
    Why would you want that?

A. More realistic

B. Would make blocking arrows 100 times better.

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

C. Is really stupid considering you can just let go of the arrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry X View Post
    C. Is really stupid considering you can just let go of the arrow.
    I'd need it more to force the AI opponents to loose their arrows on time rather than drawing their bows and making us both stand around like idiots for a few seconds as I hold up my shield.

Civitate

A. More realistic
    How is that more realistic?

Have you ever touched a bow? I don't recall there being any sort of device attached them that automatically looses the arrow as soon as I fully draw it back...
    I'd need it more to force the AI opponents to loose their arrows on time rather than drawing their bows and making us both stand around like idiots for a few seconds as I hold up my shield.
    So the AI is an idiot for drawing an arrow and waiting for you to expose yourself and give them a target...right...if anything you're the one being a bit foolish if you just stand there and wait. Why not advance on them holding your shield up and then go in for the kill?
    Is really stupid considering you can just let go of the arrow.
    Seconded.

If it's a proper warbow with a high draw weight then no, you would not be able to hold it drawn like they do in the movies. I suppose you could have a mod where your aim gets progressively more wobbly or your stamina plummits the longer you hold the arrow, but I don't want to play some sort of awful minigame everytime I use a bow.

The ai does look pretty stupid when it aims for 5 seconds and shoots into my shield anyways. And I don't advance with my sheild up the whole time because charging at a walk looks even dumber than being full of arrows. Although fixing blocking and the rest of the combat would probably take a whole army of modders so I'd be happy with just the bows for now.

I really, really hope there is a good combat mod for Skyrim - this game deserves it. Ideally something like Duke Patrick's mod for Oblivion: realistic and logical, not over the top and ridiculous like Deadly Reflexes.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    How is that more realistic?

Have you ever touched a bow? I don't recall there being any sort of device attached them that automatically looses the arrow as soon as I fully draw it back...
    You obviously haven't.
    You cannot hold a <150 lbs warbow drawn. You arms will start tremble so hard after like two seconds, the arrow will go off into the blue but not any near the target.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Tribunus

Bows are a small issue compared to the larger problem of unbalanced combat/magic/

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_the_terrible View Post
    I really, really hope there is a good combat mod for Skyrim - this game deserves it. Ideally something like Duke Patrick's mod for Oblivion: realistic and logical, not over the top and ridiculous like Deadly Reflexes.
    I loved the dukes mods, really hope he will make more for Skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    You obviously haven't.
    You cannot hold a <150 lbs warbow drawn. You arms will start tremble so hard after like two seconds, the arrow will go off into the blue but not any near the target.
    Well that really depends on how practiced you are at it and how strong. But no one can hold it forever. Would be a good idea that drawing a bow lowers stamina.

Numenor's Avatar Campidoctor

People, gameplay vs Realism, lets not have this argument again.
    [IMG]

I'm really hoping for a mod that adds more people to the cities, they feel to sparsely populated to me. 3/4 of the people seem to be city guards.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

would like a Mammoth riding mod... forget horses.

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by BarSteward View Post
    would like a Mammoth riding mod
    THIS MUST BE ATTEMPTED.

I really want the thief guild and mage guild missions fixed.....they have a habit of glitching horribly.....

I had to load up the nightingale mission like 5 times cause the stupid girl kept disappearing or she'd open the door and walk away....leaving me with that guy who wouldn't shut up....

And the mage mission where you have to get the staff....sometimes it glitches up if you enter the door at the enf of the steam

Civitate

You obviously haven't.
    Well of coarse you couldn't hold it drawn back forever but depending on the bow's draw-strength and the user's own strength and skill you're going to get different outcomes in terms of how long a bow could be fully drawn for. rrgg wanted a mod that made it so that bows would automatically loose their arrows when fully drawn - claiming that to be realistic when in fact, if the user is strong enough, they could easily hold a drawn bow for however long their muscles permitted them to.

Also take into account the context. This is a medieval fantasy game where many of the aspects of true medieval life remain unchanged. Bows were a big part of that medieval lifestyle for both hunting game and for war. That being said, it can be assumed then that most of the bandits, soldiers, and such you come across in Skyrim were probably raised using bows in one way or another. When you practice with something and use it for years upon years upon years you get better with it and can steadily move up the ladder in terms of draw weight - hence why there were medieval soldiers who could easily fire a longbow with a nearly 200lb draw weight.

And yes, I actually use bows for both sport and hunting.

IMO, a mod that maybe drains your stamina or the stamina of NPCs the longer you hold the bow drawn would be a better idea than the one rrgg had.

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I hope Simyaz makes his quality companion mods once more. That dude knew what he was doing when it came to characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Is there any mods that remove the invisible boundaries on the map? That could increase the modding potential a lot.