Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: [Faction Research] Duchy of Britanny

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Default Re: [Faction Research] Duchy of Britanny

Quote Originally Posted by Riwallon View Post
    I was thinking about something, what about giving Breton a cavalry with a big charge bonus, normal attack, less armor than french heavy cav? this cav would be cheaper than the heavy cav (so the player would probably do a lot of it) and because of the lack of armor it would not be able to stay engage for a long time (so the player would be force to charge, withdraw and charge again. Which was the tactics of breton armies)
    Also a javeline cav with correct fighting skills could be interesting (it's was strategy used by breton since they arrived in brittany, but i can't be sure it was still used at this time...)

sorry for the English
    The unit stats follow a specific Unit Guideline so theoretically, a unit as you suggested can be done but it will depends on the type of equipment and the social status of them. I believe they will be under a feudal-like system unless I may be wrong. I invite you to take a look at the guide and you could give it a try to make a unit roster?

Deathshade's Avatar Discens

Yes, it was a feodal system in Britanny.
    But again, all the "knight" were not necesseray "knight". They were riders (and the greater number of rider in Europe considering the population).

Riwallon's Avatar Sukauto

I'm not sure if i got enough time to do it, but i'll try if i can.
    I found some sources on the Breton economy for the period:
    -from 1247 to 1341, Brittany was in a golden age (hope i can say that in English)
    -The trade was very important due to ressources (if the trade system of MTW2 is used for the mod, we can have wine in Nantes, salt in Guerande, textile in Morlaix and Saint Malo, Wheat and horses everywhere inside the land)
    -Also due to the geographic situation of Brittany which allowed Breton to buy products from the north (Baltic, England) and sell it to the south (Venice) or vice versa.
    -The Breton trading fleet was one of the biggest of Europe (it say that they could more or less fight England as egual)
    -The people of Brittany haven't experience starvation until the XVI century (because they produce a lot of food), the standart of living of the people was better than in France and the value of the Breton's money was higher than the french one.
    -When the duc Jean 2 (Yann 2) die in 1305, he left a cash reserve of 166000 "livres tournois" (which is describe as huge by the author).
    I got that from "history of Brittany and Bretons" by Joel Cornette (who recieved the great prize of the French academy in 2006 for this book) and from "The romance of Brittany" by Gilles Martin-Chauffier

Hi,
    I found two other things about the army and the economy of Brittany in 1450 (i know it's not the good period but it can help):

-About the army, during war time the duke had "800 lances" for cavalry, the interested part is that the book give the composition of a breton lance: 6 men (4 fighter), all on horses, 1 men at arm (with probably a spear), 1 coutillier (with a blade), 2 bowmen (which mean that they had bowmen cavalry).
    An other thing, the nobility was proportionally more numerous than in France, Brittany had 10000 noble families in 1450 (that's because of a strong tradition of small nobility)

-About the economy: around 1450 Brittany spent 9 ton of silver per year, France 44 to 90 ton , England 17 to 44 ton, Venice 6 to 12 ton, kingdom of Navarre 3 to 6 ton, Bavaria 3 ton. Even if it's not the same period, it can help to see the economic power of Brittany (around the same as the republic of Venise).
    It also said that the economic power was the same than Scotland, Portugal...

I got that from "history of Brittany and Bretons" by Joel Cornette
    Last edited by Riwallon; May 24, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

here is some heraldic for Brittany:
    -the first one (black cross) represent Brittany (most part of soldier should have it)
    -the second one is the duke one before 1316
    -the third one is the duke one after 1316

i'll soon put those of the biggest noble families
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1188.png   545px-Blason_Pierre_Ier_de_Bretagne.svg.png   545px-COA_fr_BRE.svg.png  

Here are the heraldic for the heir of brittany
    -the first is used before 1316
    -the second is used after 1316
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 545px-Blason_Bretagne_(héritiers_anciens).svg.png   545px-Blason_Bretagne_(héritiers).svg.png  

here are some for the biggest noble houses
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 545px-Blason_région_penthievre.svg.png   545px-Blason_fam_fr_Rohan.svg.png   545px-Blason_André_IV_de_Vitré.svg.png   545px-BlasonAncenis.svg.png   545px-Blason_Retz.svg.png  

545px-Blason_ville_fr_La_Roche-Bernard_(Morbihan).svg.png   545px-Blason_Léon_(Bretagne).svg.png   545px-Blason_chateaubriant.svg.png  

here are two representation of the helmet of the duke, the second one is the seal of Yann 3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 430px-CoA_dukes_of_Bretagne_1316-1514_(chivalric).svg.png   584px-Sceau_de_Jean_IV_-_Duc_de_Bretagne.png  
    Last edited by Riwallon; May 24, 2012 at 05:16 PM.

162eRI's Avatar Aquilifer

Some 14th century miniatures of Britanny knights.

Under François I "connétable" and King Charles VII
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Du Guesclin miniatures and Battle of Auray

And more modern representations

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Really helpful everyone, I must say Britanny has almost everything needed.

Hi every ones, based on what was written above here is a try for Brittany’s roster: (of course, comments are welcome)

*First, the noble:

-Gward dugel (ducal guard)
    They are the general personal’s guard; they’re on horse and close to the French and English ones
    They should be in white with a black cross, or a white with lot of small black ermine

- Marc'heien (knights) (Marc’heien war droad = when dismounted)
    Again, very close from English and French knight

-Mac’htierned (Mac’htierned war droad = when dismounted)
    They are the Breton’s small nobility; the Breton’s nobility was very numerous at the time (10000 families); they should be close to the sergeants, maybe a little more easy to recruit to symbolize there high number

*The men at arm: a Breton lance was composed by: 6 men all mounted, included 4 fighters, 2 bowmen, a lancer and a man with sword:

- Saezherien war varc’h (mounted archer; when dismounted = Saezherien)
    Light cavalry with bow and medium equipment (the bow must be a good (but not excellent) quality)

- Marc'hegerien (horsemen)
    Medium cavalry with spear, they should be close to the Mac’htierned, only a little lesser equipped

-Klezeierien marc'hegiezh (swordmen cavalry) (Klezeierien when dismounted)
    The same as above but without spear (so less charge bonus, but maybe a higher attack for the swords)

*The milicia: Equipped as the other faction militia

-Kroazwaregerien (crossbowmen milicia)

- gwaregerien (archer militia) : less expensive but less efficient than the one above

-Goaferien (spear militia)

- kouerien (peasant levies)

The specificity of this faction should be the cavalry (that was proportionally more numerous than the French one) so they should have bonuses to recruit cavalry.
    They also often used German and flamish mercenaries and english (welsh) longbowmen when they were allied to them.
    hope it can help and sorry for the english
    Last edited by Riwallon; July 02, 2012 at 10:41 AM.

Horatio Hornblower's Avatar Aquilifer

This could be helpful...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93857

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information