Thread: Problems with factions on Great Britain

Default Problems with factions on Great Britain

First, thanks for an awesome mod! This mod (and its sister-mod Norman Invasion) is a bit like EB, except the different time frame and its stability.

Am I the only person who find the factions staring on or focusing on Great Britain to be very hard to complete the game with? It's very symptomatic that the two factions I've won the game with are the Norwegians and the Ui Niall. I find it rather easy to win with these factions because the only thing you need to do is to take out the AI factions on Ireland pretty quickly, and then you can conquer the rebel settlements one by one, and build up Ireland to be an economic powerhouse, and then conquer the prvinces remaining for victory. That is simply not possible on Great Britain. It's too big, and its factions are too strong, compared to Ireland. So, ehm, how do guys do?

Also, is it really right to label the Mercians as marauder in difficulty rating? They start out with poorly developed lands and are surrounded by (potential) enemies. Wessex, while facing the Danes early one, have rich lands and fewer directions from which enemies can come.

Default Re: Problems with factions on Great Britain

Glad you're enjoying the mod - we're very happy a 4-month project still gets such comments 3 years after release.

Ireland should perhaps be poorer, so that whoever ends up controlling it doesn't have the resources to easily expand on Britain. That would be a trade-off for the relative ease of establishing oneself there without running the risk of getting back-stabbed or attacked on many fronts, and the mainland factions would seem a fairer option.

Though, what you see as a disadvantage can also be an advantage: having many fronts means that you can be attacked from many sides, but also that you can exploit opportunities and attack yourself in many directions. I guess it depends on one's playing style.

Mercia's difficulty rating should probably be higher, simply because if the AI does randomly gang up on you early on, you're definitely screwed because you lack the ressources to deal with it. If it doesn't, and you just have to deal with the Welsh, your bodyguards can slaughter them by the hundreds in sieges while you build up a generic Saxon powerhouse faction that buries its enemies under wave after wave of heavy infantry, preferably with a bit of cav support (depending on how badly you want to take advantage of the AI's weaknesses).

Wessex and East Anglia on the other hand are a lot easier than they look, because you start with a strong or at least decent army, giving you a good chance of weathering the early storm, and once you do, you control very rich provinces with good infrastructure and population, making further progress very easy to achieve.

In VI2, a lot hinges on the first couple turns of a campaign, regardless of faction and map position, you usually face your greatest challenge early on, once you get past that, it's relatively smooth sailing to victory...

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan
    Though, what you see as a disadvantage can also be an advantage: having many fronts means that you can be attacked from many sides, but also that you can exploit opportunities and attack yourself in many directions. I guess it depends on one's playing style.
    I guess that's true. I prefer to have some period of peace to be able to boom. Which Ireland works very well for.

Quote Originally Posted by jackx
    Wessex and East Anglia on the other hand are a lot easier than they look, because you start with a strong or at least decent army, giving you a good chance of weathering the early storm, and once you do, you control very rich provinces with good infrastructure and population, making further progress very easy to achieve.
    That's what I would think. They have some of the richest lands, and they have those lands at the start.