Third Age Total War Alternative patch.
INTRODUCTION This is an unofficial patch for TATW 3.2. It adds lots of new features and changes some existing ones. This stuff is lore-orientated, trying to be as loyal as possible to the books and the movies. It is also vanilla orientated, wich means it tries to bring stuff that would probably be present in an official 3.3 patch if there was one. One of the general guidances about this patch is try to bring as much uniqueness as possible to each faction. No change is made on the main balancing stats of the game. This is a unofficial release for TATW with no link to the mod owner, its a independent project.
THIS SUB-MOD USES TATW VANILLA 3.2 AS BASIS. ABSOLUTELLY ALL ADDITIONS/CHANGES ARE EXPLAINED AHEAD, NO LESS NO MORE.
Custom settlement: Weathertop 2.0 - New 3d models, new textures, better PC performance. Its now set as a village.
Custom settlement: Argonath 1.1 - Fixed statues position.
New custom settlement: Barad Dûr
Custom settlement: Dunharrow (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: Carn Dûm (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: Goblintown (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: Cirith Ungol (with strat map model)
Custom settlement: Esgaroth - Buildings now has physics, just added invisible boxes where the houses are, fitting its shape, and gave them collisions.
-Disabled all ambient buildings, so no more stonehenges, palmtress, monasteries or farms in mordor or anywhere. (Link here). In my sub-mod, I've also disabled watch-towers ambient models.
-Fixed weathertop issue (now it cannot be uppgraded so will not change the settlement)
-Cair andros is now back to a vanilla castle. The 3.2 custom version has completly useless layouts for both gates.
New custom settlement: Azanulimbar Dûm (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: Fangorn/Beorn Halls/Rhosgobel (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: Durthang (with strat map model)
Custom settlement: Rivendell 3.0 (more deployment space, new waterfall effects, fixed clicking issues, attacker AI now works properly.)
Custom settlement: Minas Morgul 2.0 (units can be deployed on walls, settlement correctly rotated to fit the strat map heighs and avoid reinforcement problems, it has now a real bridge, not a terrain mount.).
Custom settlement: Esgaroth (fixed deployment issues and wall animations, it has now a real bridge, not a terrain mount. Settlement lowered to match terrain, builds were floating in 3.2)
Custom settlement: The Black Gate (fixed reinforcements beeing spawn in mountains. Fixed defending army deploying units outside the gate. Attacking armies comming from mordor will now show up behind the gate, with no obstacle between them and the plaza, like it should logically be (just added a invisible gate in the opposing side of the settlement (facing mordor), no blockage with pathfinding, the AI just abandon the siege engines and attack the plaza.)
Custom settlement: Dol Guldur (Fixed ladders on walls bug. Fixed reinforcements stuck outside batlemap. Did both by editing the terrain).
Custom settlement: Edoras (Changed plaza position to avoid AI doing nothing, it was not really working in 3.2).
Custom settlement: Minas Tirith (plaza position is now on the 7th level, there is a new inner gate on the 6th level, this way, the AI works 100% now, no more units doing nothing, yes, it really works, all attacking units from a full stack raches the plaza. )
Custom settlement: Carn Dum (some layout changings for far better AI behavior, fixed wall animations).
Custom settlement: Cirith Ungol (fixed terrain issue avoiding armies attacking from east, new darker textures, added The Watchers statues)
Custom settlement: Osgiliath (all sides/versions):
- Projectiles now cannot pass through buildings (same solution from esgaroth).
- All attacking positions/reinforcements works now completly realisticaly integrated with the strat map, both cities can now be attacked with armies comming from the two sides, so if you, for exemple, attack east osgiliath comming from the west, your army will start the battle in west osgiliath, and not be magically teleported to east of east osgiliath. (ATTENTION: that changes were made by precisely editing pathfindings, disabling a gate and editing deploymet, it was exaustively tested with all different attacking amy setups. It works absolutelly perfect now for all attacking directions and circunstances. I've tested all gates, one by one).
- There is now a real brigde, no more swimming time for troops.
- Integrated the settlement with the strat map geography, showing a realistic river/heighs.
PS: Fixes for custom settlements based on this thread.
- Now, if you dont give authonomy to Fangorn, then you will be able to upgrade the city. Makes more sense at all because not giving authorization and holding a useless village was pointless.
-Edited Dol Guldur terrain to look dirty like Carn Dûm, no more green grass.
-New battlefield pics (custom battle menu) for Erebor and argonath.
-Setlements available in custom battles will now be Minas Tirith, Erebor, Azanulimbar Dûm, Hornburg and Carn Dûm. (It was necessary to remove some of them, and those wich remain are the most interesting layouts for multiplayer anyway). All custom tiles in custom battles are kept, including argonath and osgiliath rivercrossing.
-Added green haze effect to Minas Morgul (a really moving haze, made by editing a smoke effect from vanilla med 2 , see the pic).
-Beorn Halls now named Beorn Woods.
-New interfaces and faction symbols taken from MOS and then adapted.
-No more orc "castles". (Sauron made the black gate and barad dur with the power of the one ring and thats all, more castles than this seems quite anti-lore, we dont have proper custom settlements for it and the new upgrade system does not allow orcs to build castles, they actually really should not be able to do such...)
- Strat map models are now limited, so for example large castles for dale and fpoe will load castle strat map models. Huge models bigger than Minas Tirith for generic settlements in the map really offend the immersion/lore).
- Fixed weathertop not working.
- Fixed weird object floating in Rivendell plaza.
-Fixed w. osgiliath crash.
-Fixed bug on Osgiliath river crossing custom battle and campaign map one.
-Fixed ground tile textures in minas tirith
-Battles in custom battle menu will now load the new fixed settlements.
- Removed ballista tower build buttons in settlements were they cannot be built.
-Changed faction descriptions to match the new upgrade system.
- The faction Dale will now load southern european settlements.
- No more crosses in any european settlement (edited the churches tech tree models. But there is still some crosses that are from the settlement itself and not from the techtree).
- Settlements in Mordor cannot be upgraded anymore (they are now set as cities or large cities. No elves building beautiful cities inside mordor etc.)
- Text editing for region descriptions, settlement upgrade and settlement features for making all the changes in this sub-mod more transparent for the player. Also removed vanilla text related with non TATW features like converting cities to castles.
- Enabled BETTER WATER sub-mod again. (Exporadical CTD or not, this one is a must be.)
- New loading screens. More armies/settlements/action, less faces and characters.
-Changed the texture type that fills places like argonath and rivendell. The old texture looked like rooten cheese. The new one is similar to the proper argonath statue texture, like in the pics of the argonath that are on the preview. (Did it by editing descr_geography_new.db)
- Argonath now is clean sun, no more rain, so you can see the epicness of the statues and its reflects on the water!
- Moria climate fixed (no more rain on winter)
-New event pics for dwarven marriage and dwarven woman (replaces the old cartoonish ones).
-New event pics for settlement upgrades from all factions.
- Unit detail on battlefield is now set as "highest" on the .cfg file so this bug fix is now standart.
- Screenshot resolution set now as 1650 by default. (hd screenshots).
- New recruitment system for AI.
- New settlement upgrade system.
New custom settlement: Dain's Halls. (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: New erebor. (with strat map model) (not properly rorated on the strat map but I did it this way so the sun hits the main entrance and shows its beauty, as it has 1 gate only, there is no difference at all for its functionality).
New custom settlement: Mountain fort. (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: Generic dwarven settlements. (with strat map models)
THE NEW SETTLEMENT UPGRADE SYSTEM - New icons and descriptions for upgrading settlements. The ones in vanilla actually never matched reality. They were wall images, but when you upgrade the settlement you dont upgrade just the wall but all the settlment itself. For TATW, there is custom settlements wich dont even has walls. And as now factions like gondor will have stone walls for places where there was wooden ones before (large_towns), I've changed all these images to a generic building image. Each upgrade will show new descriptions matching the new system. The same goes to castles. So now upgrades in settlements will really worth a read on their descriptions! No more orc encampments with wooden palisades showing large stone walls descriptions, no more "God" quoted in fortress descriptions etc. Now everything is more to the LOTR mood.
-New descriptions for each faction on the faction choose menu, at the start of the campaign, showing its settlement features.
-Each faction will now have a more unique settlement characteristic. Some factions will not be able to upgrade certain types of settlements anymore, their building techtrees will be unlocked via 3 events, so they can upgrade all buildings, level after level with a new time/turn restriction, but they cannot upgrade the settlement itself. A proper analysis on that new system will prove it is lore accurate and also gives more uniqueness to each faction, beeing also a immersion booster. Settlements will be now a really different feature for each faction, like units are. This is how it will be:
GONDOR (ALL STRONG SETTLEMENTS)
-No restrictions about upgrading cities or castles.
-No wooden palisade walls in large towns but stone walls.
-No wooden wall in any castle level.
HARAD, RHUN, DALE
No restrictions about upgrading cities or castles.
No restrictions about upgrading cities or castles.
OOG, OOTMM, MORDOR and ISENGARD (WEAK CITIES, NO CASTLES)
Can upgrade all cities but no castles.
Cannot build balista towers, no building icon shown. (Their custom cities battlemaps has no towers, and that is lore accurate at all).
HIGH ELVES (NORMAL CITIES, NO CASTLES)
Can upgrade cities but no castles.
SILVAN ELVES (NORMAL CITIES, NO CASTLES)
Cannot upgrade castles or have stone walls in cities (city and large_city will load large_town model).
Cannot build ballista towers.
Can upgrade everything. (But their city models are very limitated, see the preview)
ROHAN (WEAK CITIES, WOODEN CASTLE)
-Can upgrade all cities but is not able to have stone walls, even if the settlement upgrades to city or large city, it will still be a large town in the battle map. (weird siege engine animations in large cities but works anyway)
-Can upgrade castles until "wooden_castle". (Lore...)
-Cannot build balista towers, no building icon shown. (Lore reasons).
There will be then 3 barrack events. They will occur in a certain time of the campaign, unlocking the building capacities. This way the inability of some factions to upgrade settlements will not mess the game. All factions needs both the events and upgrading the settlement itself in order to unlock new buildings for cities. In castles, they just need the 3 events. This also fixes a vanilla problem as now we can get all buildings for unique settlements wich are set as castles on minor levels, no more restrictions on the mod!
THE NEW RECRUITMENT SYSTEM FOR AI
Factions controlled by the AI will now recruit units faster than the player (except trolls, mumakils and siege weapons). Due to this new feature, the "help weakened factions" and the "last stand" scripts will be removed. No more enemy stacks magically appearing from nothing to mess your tactics and immersion. (The game is still hard as before, belive me...). Basically, it recruits a little slower than the best recruitment speed for the player (there is different speeds depending on the region).
This system is properly ballanced to avoid money bankrupt or millionare factions, or even turn times getting too long, all made by Mank, any doubt, ask him.
Factions always keep their fortune arround 20000 or so, so the game is well balanced.
New custom settlement: Dale
New custom settlement: Dain's Halls (Replaces de previous version, with strat map model).
New custom settlement: Generic gondorian castles and cities (all types/levels).
New custom settlement: Generic elven towns and large towns.
New custom settlement: Thranduil's Halls (with strat map model)
- Dale, Barad Dûr (replaces azanulimbar dum), West Osgiliath, East Osgiliath, Umbar and Dain's Halls available on custom battles.
- Included the Umbar (middle eastern huge city) pathfinding fix.
- Replaced Mountain Fort custom settlement from 3.0 with a dwarven fortress.
- Fixed the new churches techrees (without any crosses) not working. That was because the names of the folders were written wrong by CA in vanilla! (north_euorpean and south_eurpean!)
-New faction leader and custom portrait pics for some characters (based on the new movies).
- Erebor strat map model simplified for faster loading screen times.
- New textures for southern european settlements (dale faction) to look more like the movie. (You can see how they look on the dale city preview, I had to change the .mesh files for walls in vanilla TATW, I had no idea why KK placed them there, no usage at all, but better not risk.)
- New unit info images. (For 89% of the units, I could not find the other ones )
- New unit cards. (For all units).
- New faction preview pictures.
- New textures for Harad and Rhûn settlements (middle eastern). More darker, no more shinning gold or weird pink walls. (Both for strat map and battlemap textures).
- New grey textures for gondorian wathctowers replacing the pink ones.
- New loading screens. Replaced some of the vanilla ones and added a lot of new ones. More armies and settlements, less characters and faces.
- No more sprites for units no matter the camera distance. (no performance reduction)
- Darker textures for esgaroth (for matching the movies). Also fixed some small terrain texture issues.
-Removed the vanilla camera shake effect when projectlies from catapults, trebuchets and other engines hits or even when these engines fire. Also the shakes for when walls and towers collapse. (It was annoying, undermined the health of eyes and gave me headaches). See here.
-Removed camera focus for when generals dies and also for when gates/walls collapses.
-Music addon/change: New campaign and end turn unique movie music for Rohan, Gondor and Dwarves. A new campaign music track for Dale, FPOE and Arnor. (Kept all the old music files). New campaign music for Elves (kept the LOTR ones and added 2 or 3 more from the movies so now only the Howard Shore soundtrack is present). New battle music from the movies. No more medieval 2 tracks. All music now comes from LOTR/HOBBIT movies. Also replaced some dwarven diplomat sounds )scotish), you will no more hear them say "Scotlands" or "Scotland". Edited orc diplomat sounds, no more orc diplomats with german noble accent. (I used the vanilla battlemap voices from orcs to replace them). New battle win music for dwarves.
- Dwarven siege towers and rams has now 2x more health and cannot be ignited. Dwarven rams can make 2x more damage than the others.
- Removed the ability of firing cow carcases from gondor and arnor threbuchets.
- Some small amend on models and textures for gondorian strat map settlement textures.
- Added the grape shot ability for dwarven catapults. See here. Edited the unit description text to show such feature. Finally catapults will have a proper usage against units in med2 engine! Proper icon and button functionality.
- Added mortar shot for dwarves catapult. Its a new custom made shot made by me, basically, its the same mortar shot from med2 but ignited, so it is a special shot for firing above walls and hitting enemies wich are inside the defenses of the settlement. It replaces the catapult fire shot, but only for dwarves. It works absolutelly fine. Proper description text for the unit. Proper icon and button functionality. See the preview.
- Isengard's catapult main shot is now a bomb shot and can destroy a wall with a single hit. (Like the one used in Hornburg battle on the movie). Though it cant fire flaming shots anymore. The point is making it brutal against buildings and weak against units. That brings more lore and facton uniqueness.
- Small changes on button texts for better fitting the new abilities.
- Dwarven catapults has now 2x more damage than all the others. (For destroying walls and towers faster).
- Better accuracy for all good faction catapults (specially good for the dwarven one). Lower accuracy for orc faction catapults. Better accuracy for elven faction ballistas. (I belive this will ballance the game as factions with trolls always get an advantage against the ones wich could not defend themselves against such units).
- Unit recruitment rates lowered for AI, for better ballancing.
- A few recruitment rates slightly speeded up for units with vanilla absurd values like 34 turns for recruiting a berserker. (It is still long, but more rational now).
- Removed camels from the game. Replaced them with easter horses. (They were brutally anti-lore)
- New warg mount 3d models and animations for OOG and OOMM.
- New models for elven and dwarven siege towers and rams.
- New model for dwarven catapult.
- More loading screens from the Desolation of Smaug Movie.
- You can now see Dale while fighting in Erebor. (Vice-versa was already true). (I've had to make the "unused 2" climate to load no tree, grass or stones because it was causing problems with the techtree method I used, anyway that climate is only used on dwarven settlements for the entire middle earth map).
- A new small garrison script is now added. Dwarven large cities or large castles will load a garrison catapult when attacked. (both for player of AI). The principle is the same from the vanilla garrison script so the unit cannot be used after the battle for taking it out of the settlement, it will just disband after the siege.
- Amended the waterfall effect. (Greatly reduced the flow interruptions, made it far more realist, greatly improves preformance in places with much of them, like rivendell).
- Weather changes: Slightly reduces the chance of rain and fog for all climates, yet kept the characteristics of specific places like mirkwood forest beeing much foggy. Added "clear" pattern for mountain settlements climate (there was just fog and light fog, now you can see the sun, but still no rain or snow precipitation even if the ground is covered with snow.)
ABOUT THE NEW UNIT INFO PICTURES AND UNIT CARDS The new unit card replaces the old shots from 3d models (wich were ugly at all). The new ones are not shots of ingame units but icons mounted with images of 3d objects. They are functional and fully represent the unit. It shows the unit's weapon so you can see if it is a spear or sword unit etc. It also mostly shows a helmet for better identification so you can know exactly what unit it is. If it is cavalary, then there is a horse, if it is heav cavalary, then there is a heavy horse etc. Another point is that the concept is made in a way that the more elements on the card the heavier (better) the unit is. I've made it using photos of helmets from the WETA studios, so everything is pretty lore accurate. For the ones I could not find, I just stole them from the movies, like the dale helmets and shields and the silvan elven stuff you can see, or took it from google images reffering to persian helmets etc (in case of easterlings or southorns).
These new cards contain elements that does not match TATW actual units, because 3.0 version is not atualized for the Hobbit movies, so you can see the new helmets and shields from the new movies in the cards, even if they are not on the unit on the battlefield. HOWEVER, I've made it in a way that the unit cards fully correspond to the actual units, showing exactly the stuff it wears (so for example, if a elven unit has a shield, then you can see the new shield from the movie on the unit card). Of course I also did it to match the TATW units so a small wooden round shield is still a small wooden round shield.
That said, if someone, in the future, comes with an upgrade for 3d models for the units in order to make them look like the movies, my cards will still be adequate! More than this, I would really like to see people working in these new units based on my cards and unit info images because I did them in a way that we dont need new units but just atualizing the existing ones in order to match the new movies. The same goes to the new unit info images.
ABOUT THE NEW MUSIC The music pieces were taken from the movies soundtrack. As movie soundtrack are made to match the actions of the scenes, I had to edit the mp3 files to avoid too loud or too low volumes, depending on the track moment, so this way trying to keep the campaign map ambient mood. I also had to cut some parts of the tracks in order to keep the ritm.
NOTE: After finding out that custom settlements can work well in custom battles but not in camapign ones, I've tested them all in campaign battles and all found issues were fixed in this release, as follows.
Custom settlement: Generic FPOE/ARNOR settlements. Only city, large city, castle and large castle. (with stratmap models) Based on vanilla NE ones.
Custom settlement: Generic gondorian castles are now based on southern european ones. The teutonic ones presented a unfixable bug, see here. (One more reason for not using them also for orcs, as I removed them in previous versions of this sub-mod). New stratmap models for them..
Custom settlement: New layout for Minas tirith.(total settlement usage!) (see the GENERAL EXPLANATIONS section)
Custom settlement: Some ice over Esgaroth's lake (it only shows up in winter , see preview)
New custom settlement: Gundabad (with strat map model) (a little discussion about its concept can be found here)
New custom settlement: Ruined Fornost Erain and Annuminas (with strat map model) (Can be upgraded by any faction)
New custom settlement: Dwarven large castle and large city. (with strat map model) (The same from the previous level plus undestroyable/undockable walls, some cool fire/smoke/light effects and 3x more powerful towers.)
- Fixed some incoherent descr_strat.txt entries.
-Added 7 new regions. (In specific locations for better campaign map enjoyment and integration with places like Thorin's Halls. Simple towns or villages with nothing special in it, but guarded by bandits.
- Winter textures for all custom settlements in TATW.
- Some editing on map_heights.tga in gundabad region (absolutelly necessary for proper integration of the settlement mountains in the strat map, otherwise mountains would be cut at certain height)
- Many amends in map_ground_types.tga for preventing reinforcements beeing spawn in wrong places on settlement battles (on water or mountains). That was actually beeing amend since 4.0 version.
- Fangorn terrain is now flat (for proper AI functionality). Better vegetation distribution on it.
-Fixed dwarves upgrading generic settlements to Erebor.
- Hennet Anun is now a town (makes more sense), and has a waterfall.
- Fixed small issue on AI functionality with siege towers in the generic dwarven settlement.
- Added a small land portion on the rivercrossing near Pelargir (the crossing looks more natural now).
- Proper alpha channels for Erebor and Azanulimbar Dum. The structures now can be seen at night.
- Fixed bad AI functionality in all the temperate_decidious_forest climate. See here.
- Fixed rocks appearing in minas morgul terrain (It was a bug of the 4.0 version of this sub-mod regardig to worldvegetation file).
- Fixed pathfinding in Minas Morgul (units were entering the lake).
- Fixed Osgiliath's trees appearing on the water and consequently the sporadical CTDs when loading battles there. (It was a bug of the 4.0 version of this sub-mod regardig to worldvegetation file).
- Added the light effect for erebor, dain's halls and azanulimbar dûm, in night battles (they are awesome )
- Added light effect for barad dur, Isengard and minas morgul (green one)
- More music tracks.
- Better blockage for arrows being fired through thranduil's halls cave. (still might happen but very rare.)
- Esgaroth finally working 100% for attacking AI. The walls are not more dockable by ladders or siege towers but can still be broken. See here.
- Small smoothering on minas tirith cliff on stratmap.
- Enhanced Minas Tirith stratmap model.
- New building icons for dwarven ballista towers.
- Removed the ability yo build towers in regions where there are custom settlements models that actually has no towers in it, like Thranduil's Halls.
- Small fix on erebor wall's textures.
- Fixed animation bug of the gates in Azanulimbar dûm and Erebor.
- Fixed the THE ONE RING SCTIPT not working. (I dont know why it simply stopped working, it was exactly the same vanilla 3.2 script, I changed nothing on it, it simply stopped working and no one knows why. Anyway it is running now and it works exactly like 3.2 vanilla, we did not change any concept, we just made it to work again, ask Jox25, he fixed it.)
GENERAL EXPLANATIONS -Yes, there is new animations for all the new textures in all the new present custom settlements, so no glitches when walls are hit.
-The settlements are correctly rotated to avoid issues with strat map compatibility, like reinforcements beeing spawn on mountains.
-They are also correctly placed to be lore acurrate, so, Cirith Ungol, for example, can be attacked from both sides, each one deployng the attacker army on the correct side of the settlement.
-We also choose the right settlement types to implement those (citadel, large_city etc.)
-Sally forth does not work for some custom settlements (cannot be fixed). You must autoresolve the battle or advance towards the enemy sally forth army when the battle is loaded.
-If you attack east osgiliath from west osgiliath, buildings in west osgiliath will be passable by units (it was necessary for deployment reasons).
- Some settlements will start the campaign with wrong upgrade icons, that will be fixed right when you upgrade the settlement. Unique settlements uses generic icons so they will never fit, just dont look at them.
- A few custom setlement's walls will not match the siege tower sizes (e.g. dwarven large_towns), yet everything works fine and it does not look that bad anyway.
- moria Halberd and dwarven_halberdmen units had to have their animations set as the dwarf_pike one as the animation packing process has a bug that was bugging their original animations. The set animation is actually pratically identical to the previous ones.
-Some very small texture glitches on the new siege engines due to some problems with 3ds max to .mesh conversion.
- I recommend eveyone to not disable battle time limit. Sometimes the AI gets stuck when attaking settlements and that can ruin your campaign.
-After realizing that custom settlements can have different AI behavior from custom battles to campaign ones, I tested them all (including 3.2 vanilla ones) to check if they were working well, that resulted in some small fixes on some of them, so now they all seems to be working well in the campaign map.
- BEWARE: Be careful when using these settlements in another submod. Settlements on this submod were made to have working layouts, that includes changes on many small things, even climates, check here and here for more information.
- Minas Tirith: It works fine for AI with all army setups (trebuchets, ballistas etc) except that when the AI uses a ram to reach the second gate, its men can get lost in the curves of the city, BUT THIS IS SPORADICAL. Also SOMETIMES the AI can get stuck and not reach the plaza even after breaking the second gate. BOTH BUGS ARE SPORADICAL AND CAN HAPPEN IN CUSTOM AND CAMPAIGN BATTLES SO IF IT HAPPEN JUST RELOAD THE GAME AND TRY IT AGAIN.
- Some towers in generic custom settlements based in southern or northern european vanilla settlements has no animations, this is a vanilla bug as I tested it in vanilla game and they actually never got an animation.
- There is no encyclopedia book for the new regions of Hagan and Gundur.
CHANGES IN DESCR_GEOGRAPHY_NEW.DB The descr_geography_new.db file used is the TATW 3.2 vanilla one and contain the following changes for this sub-mod. Some of these changes were described in the changelogs.
- Changed some rock textures in temperate_decidious_forest and temperate_coniferous_forest climates (the original ones look like rotten cheese..
- Set all vegetation in unused2 climate to 0, no trees or rocks, it was the only way to prevent rock appearing inside erebor after the addition of dale in its custom settlement. This climate is only used in mountain settlements though.
- Changed the grass testure in unused2 climate to a better looking one (the one seen in TATW 3.2 erebor was horrid)
- Set all vegetation (rocks and trees) in mordor climate to 0.
- Fixed bad AI functionality in all the temperate_decidious_forest climate.
PS: This new version of descr_geography_new.db dispenses the use of descr_geography_new.txt, this sub-mod installation will delete this .txt file and change the TATW.cfg file by deleting the rebuild_geography line.
ABOUT ATTENTION: AFTER INSTALLING IT, DO NOT UNCHECK THE "RUN THIRD AGE TOTAL WAR ALTERNATIVE PATCH 4.0" BOX, JUST CLICK FINISH, AND THEN RUN THE GAME. IF YOU ACIDENTALLY UNCHECKED IT AND CLICKED FINISH, GO INTO SEGA\MEDIEVAL II TOTAL WAR\MODS\THIRD_AGE_3 AND RUN AUTODELETE.BAT. THATS ALL, YOU CAN NOW RUN THE GAME.
COMPATILE WITH 3.2 VANILLA.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
ITS NOT SAVEGAME COMPATIBLE.
NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY MOD THAT CHANGES THE STRAT MAP.
SOME FILES FROM VANILLA 3.2 WICH ARE NOW NOT USED ANYMORE WILL NOT BE DELETED, SO THEY WILL BE KEPT REDUNDANT/UNUSED IN THE FOLDERS.
ENJOY IT AND POST COOL IMAGES ON THE SCREENSHOTS THREAD!
BONUS NEW UNIT CARDS
CREDITS, CLARIFICATIONS AND PERMISSIONS
TEAM AND CONTRIBUTORS leo.civil.uefs: Settlement's models, textures,concepts, creation and implementation. Concepts of the new recruitment and settlement upgrade systems. Unit cards and unit info pictures. Creation and implementation of the siege engine special abilities. Music add on. General feature changes by text/scripting. Implementation of stuff from other mods. New siege towers and ram models and textures for dwarves and elves. New catapult model for dwarves. Dwarven catapult script idea. Everything else except what follows. Animation implementation for the ARNOR/FPOE settlements.
Mank: Codes for the new recruitment and settlement upgrade systems and participation in its concepts.
FireFreak111: General guidance about all necessary procedures to create the mod and direct help in text or file editing. Sprites for the new warg mounts.
Devils_Advocate: Barad Dûr models and textures.
xHolyCrusader: Preview Video
Emperor of Hell: For helping with some strat map models and implementation, and also making the 1.0 installer.
makanyane for the ambient settlements disabling and for beeing my counselor, advisor, solution finder and spiritual mentor.
wilddog for IWTE and so much help in its use.
KingKong for necessary changes on earlier versions of esgaroth.
Stylix for giving me permission to use the interface 2d art from MOS.
Paradamed for his good will guiding me about animations.
Mesn for allowing me to use warg models and animations from Call of Warhammer
Lord Necromancer for making animations work for the new siege engines, as well as their UV maps. (Big thanks for your infinite patience, mate!)
Jox25 for the new textures for fpoe/arnor generic settlements and help in mounting the settlements. Also for fixing the THE ONE RING script.
Kiliç Alì for writting the dwarven catapult script
Arkay for mounting the new FPOE/ARNOR settlements.
Swagger for adding proper sounds for wargs, and new sounds for trebuchets.
Arandir Tur-Anion for some help in codes.
SilentHitman94 for The Watchers statues for cirith ungol.
ElvenKind for his good will, good will is always worth it, no matter what.
And thanks all the community for suggestions and testing the sub-mod.
PERMISSIONS AND CLARIFIATIONS
- If you want to use any content from this sub-mod in yours, then ask me for permission first.
- ATTENTION: Rivendell, Minas Morgul, The Black Gate, Dol Guldur, Edoras, Minas Tirith and Osgiliath were not settlements created by me. They are from the original 3.2 release, made by King Kong and Devils_Advocate. For these settlements, my sub-mod only contains bug fixes and changes. Generic gondorian castles and cities uses osgiliath textures and buildings, generic FPOE/ARNOR settlements uses Minas Tirith textures and buildings, these buildings and textures were originally made by King Kong.
- If I for some reason become ausent on the forums (death, invalidity, gone to war, kidnapped etc.), then three months or more from my last activity people is free to share my sub-mod and also use its content in other projects, HERE IN THE FORUMS, and giving the credits correctly of course.
SUGGESTIONS FOR FUTURE CONTENT PRIMARY:
- The current dwarven faction should get new Dwarven units based on the movies.
- Create a new dwarven faction on the west using the 3.2 dwarven units for them. (This is lore accurate, would bring more dynamics for the game and would allow us to use the current units for them instead of just wasting them).
- Divide Silvan elves in two factions like Elves of mirkwood and Lothlórien, use the current units for lórien and create new units based on the movies for the mirkwood ones. (The same arguments from the dwarves are valid here).
- Some new units for OOTMM based on the movie goblintown's goblins.
- New Dale units based on the movies.
- New Orcs of Gundabad units based on the movies.
- Umbar custom settlement.
- Pelargir custom settlement.
- Cair Andros custom settlement. (Or a fix for the 3.2 version one)
- Grey Havens custom settlement.
- Hability for ents and snow trolls to throw rocks (just a matter of animation, the javelin thrower one could be used).
- Making troll units elephants, like ents are, so preventing them climbing walls, ladders and siege towers.
- Making troll units capable of hiting gates and destroying them (RTW has such feature for elephants so it might be possible).
MY MODDING TUTORIALS While making this sub-mod I was able to write two tutorials that can be found in the following links:
IWTE - Custom settlements - Creating a working layout for your custom settlement.
IWTE - Custom settlements - Creating a generic custom settlement (easy step by step procedure)