Page 2 of 248 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: TATW Unofficial patch 4.0

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Preview: Weathertop, Dunharrow and Crith Ungol

Great job! I love what you've done with Weathertop.

Black Druid's Avatar Civis

Very nice, awesome work.

I do like your fortresses much, hope they can all be implemented in 3.0! Especially your settlement Dunharrow got the seem feeling as I got from the films.

However, Cirith Ungol's maintower is not positioned right, it should be just 'right behind the gate', instead of left of it + the tower should be bigger if compared to this screenshot:

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

They are simply amazing! +rep
    this should be a sticky
    Last edited by Gallus; November 10, 2011 at 06:45 AM.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Arnior View Post
    I do like your fortresses much, hope they can all be implemented in 3.0! Especially your settlement Dunharrow got the seem feeling as I got from the films.

However, Cirith Ungol's maintower is not positioned right, it should be just 'right behind the gate', instead of left of it.
    If you don't like cirith ungol, then make it for yourself

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    Kind of a harsh way of dealing with criticism but w/e.

Awesome work Leo! I really really hope that these and Barad Dur will make it into 3.0! My favourites are Cirith and Weathertop!

Very nice settlements leo especially Weathertop
    Though there is one thing I don't like about Cirith Ungol. I mean it's supposed to be sorrounded with mountains and such but on your screens it looks like it's in the open. However this is not a big deal the settlement itself looks nice

I have 2 questions too:
    1. Are these settlements going to be implemented in the official patch or just in sub-mods?
    2. You're saying these will be only forts so that means they're going to replace the existing settlements?

Dokka's Avatar Civis

Very good work. I liked cirith ungol, simple but very creative

I see there is definately an improvement compared to your first attempts, especially the unwraping and textures are a lot better!

Amon Sul looks neat, and I believe there shouldn´t be a problem to have it in 3.0. Although, for my taste your settlements (or forts) are not aesthetical and detailed enough.
    Cirith Ungol is imo pretty uncreative, you could have done more with the terrain, putting it on a summit or else...
    The same goes for Dunharrow it looks quite uninteresting, although I must admit it is not a location made for this engine/gameplay.

However, I appreciate you put your hands on something that´s not the centre of the stage so to speak, like a Barad-dur would be. I recommend you to stick on improving these three settlements, maybe making a rebuilt version of Amon Sul, adding some details and improving the textures. Then I don´t believe someone feels to redoe and it can do it in an "official" patch.
    The textures are unfortunately quite plain without details; may I ask how many texture files you have per settlement? Technically, with those textures, you could put all three settlements on one or two 2048 file.

btw: I´d clear things up with KK before you start with a big "Preview of ..." thing; or, alternatively you could do the whole business as a submod first.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

very good work!! i like all that even mapcastles can be individuall now.

Campidoctor

Slow down fella', it's called constructive critisism, he wasn't complaining. Agree, rather hard way to deal with that?

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Thanks you all guys. Do not feel intimidated in criticizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    Cirith Ungol is imo pretty uncreative, you could have done more with the terrain, putting it on a summit or else...
    I see what you mean. However, since the beggining I did it to be a fort, small and simple. Running from the idea that every settlement in this mod should be something huge like Minas Tirith or Edoras. We also have small places in Middle Earth.

As for the terrain, yes, I found myself in a dilemma with this. Should it be in the top of mountain? Maybe. But I used a village terrain to do it, its a very small settlement and the terrain arround would look mountainous if its placed in the Morgul valley. Also, the walls have docking points for siege towers, just imagine the army pulling the towers uphill. Weird.

The same goes for Dunharrow it looks quite uninteresting, although I must admit it is not a location made for this engine/gameplay.
    Exactly. As I said before, "Running from the idea that every settlement in this mod should be something huge", Dunharrow is made with concepts from the books and the movies, there is nothing more to be added, I cannot add nothing more without running from lore and turning it in a weird thing. Yes its, simple, exactly like it should be. Its just a cool place with some strategical feature.

The textures are unfortunately quite plain without details; may I ask how many texture files you have per settlement? Technically, with those textures, you could put all three settlements on one or two 2048 file.
    Each settlement has one single 2048 file. Yes, they are plain, thats why Im working in simple forts, I cannot handle huge settlements with too detailed textures, I leave it for you and KK.

btw: I´d clear things up with KK before you start with a big "Preview of ..." thing; or, alternatively you could do the whole business as a submod first.
    Dont know how to craft a submod.
    KK already said Weathertop is welcome to 3.0. He first stated to me I should change somethings in it, and I already did it, what you see is the final version. And that changes dont include texture amends.
    Well, Its a preview anyway, I dont know if it will be on 3.0 or not, its a preview of my settlements and not "settlements for 3.0".
    I was expecting a response from KK about Dunharrow and Cirith Ungol, but decided to make this preview beause I was afraid about another modder, like you, start working in the same projects. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar View Post
    I have 2 questions too:
    1. Are these settlements going to be implemented in the official patch or just in sub-mods?
    2. You're saying these will be only forts so that means they're going to replace the existing settlements?
    1. KingKong already show good emphaty with Weathertop, he has not seen the other two, but as they 3 share basically the same quality level, I think it has good chances.
    2. This is my wish, I dont know how its done and KK is the King here, he decides everything.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; November 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM.

I like these.

Especially Weathertop is great, Cirith Ungol is promising and will probably look much better once it is in the proper enviroment. Dunharrow seems indeed a bit barren and empty, but I would still prefer it to a generic medieval village/city/fortress...

Quote Originally Posted by Arnior View Post

However, Cirith Ungol's maintower is not positioned right, it should be just 'right behind the gate', instead of left of it + the tower should be bigger if compared to this screenshot:

Yes, that model was my main nspiration, but keep in mind, we need to do these settlements PLAYABLE and ADAPTED to the several engine limitations.

Take in considration allocating 2 HUGE SIZE full stacks or armies inside that settlement.

You made a great work. As said before it needs a little improvements, but these forts are definitely very nice. +Rep

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Nice Work Mate! Love it! Have some +rep sir

But the only way to get in is through the gate? Or can you also play a unit with ladders at the first wall?
    Gates, siege towers and ladders on walls, you choose.

Now Dunharrow, also very nicely done! But it misses something
    Yes, but this is because we are accustomed in seen huge complex settlements for TATW until now so we think everything now must be huge.
    Dunharrow is just a place above a mountain, with some statues and rocks. Thats all. There is nothing more to e added. It look empty and it actually should look like that.

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    Dunharrow is just a place above a mountain, with some statues and rocks. Thats all. There is nothing more to e added. It look empty and it actually should look like that.
    What about adding some shrubs? It could make it look a lot less empty.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day