Thread: TATW Unofficial patch 4.0

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: 4.8 Alternative patch (READ THE DAMN FAQ PLEASE)

Here: "denari_kings_purse 3400"

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Something interesting for you guys.

Look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBz1Wb_ghXc

A settlement like this can be done in med2tw via IWTE, I once did one, but never released because my modelling skills are crap so I could not model a city like that. But having the entire ambience under a cave is possible, yes. Different from my settlements where you actually enter a mountain.

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    having the entire ambience under a cave is possible, yes. Different from my settlements where you actually enter a mountain.
    Sure, I thought you went the though way with your actual mountain.
    I thought it was easier to make an usual city with a darkened sky, feeling like many underground cities in Everquest (1 and 2), like Neriak (Dark Elf).
    Last edited by Vifarc; May 03, 2016 at 10:48 PM.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Alot of people dislike the Warhammer karaks anyways. The look cool i guess but play exactly the same as a human city, which is just wrong.. Your dwarven settlements are alot more unique.

Your dwarf settlements are better than the CA ones. It's no sense that dwarfs build walls under the mountain if they can defend their city in the gates of the mountain. CA has disappointed me with their dwarf cities they are a "copy paste" of a man city under a cave, 0 changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
    Sure, I thought you went the though way with your actual mountain.
    I thought it was easier to make an usual city with a darkened sky, feeling like many underground cities in Everquest (1 and 2), like Neriak (Dark Elf).
    Not only darkened sky, there could be a huge cave ceiling covering all till the camera could not reach. So you would get the impression that you are really under a giant cave like it is right now in my Moria settlement when you look at the end of the settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    Alot of people dislike the Warhammer karaks anyways. The look cool i guess but play exactly the same as a human city, which is just wrong.
    Yes, they play exactly like normal cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    Your dwarven settlements are alot more unique.
    One more time we get to the point, immersion is more impportant than gameplay, though this one is also impportant.

Quote Originally Posted by Drorin View Post
    It's no sense that dwarfs build walls under the mountain if they can defend their city in the gates of the mountain.
    What about the houses with ceilings under the caves? [/QUOTE]

Still I wish some gome modeller/texture artist could get my settlements and make an upgrade. Azanulimbar dum could get lots of buildings inside it, comming from the inner walls. Some of the cave ceiling model textures are crap as I don't know how to model properly.

There is a famous quote in Brazil that says: "If it is for free then I want it even it is about a injection in the forehead!"

My book about the Orocarni dwarfs is available for free right now in Amazon. I've put as much passion and effort as I did in my sub-mod so you guys should try. Written in simple english so everyone can read it.

Here goes: www.theeasterndwarfs.com

Default Re: 4.9 Alternative patch (READ THE DAMN FAQ PLEASE)

Just registered, and one of the main reasons I've done that is because of your submod. Gonna be straight as dwarven architecture - thank you, for all the work you've done. It's easily my fav sub for TA, with all those settlements and minor/major addons... TA just feels like actually completed mod now, without such game-breaking nonsense as vanilla cities inside land of mordor Call me crazy, but still playing thanks to it even today. One does not simply walk away from such a good game

I have seen that you're looking for someone with digital graphics/models skill. I could be of some help... I think. I'm not professional, that's for sure, just a habbyist. But I think that I could make resonable additions, or even upgrade already existing ones. Also could provide some mapping assistance - though I never really got around to do mapping thingy in TWs, I have aquired some overall mapping skill from games such as Half-Life, CS, Alien Swarm, Dawn of War, or Company of Heroes.

On the side note - Dunno if you know this already, but Thorins Halls are... well, broken. You can't put soldiers on walls, neither on the trench-thing. That's not THE real problem though - it gets real when you realize the gate walls don't provide any barrier agains projectiles. Arrows just pass through them. Got my ass kicked by elves becuase of this. elves man. Dwarves cannot be defeated by beardless princesses! Not like that!
    It's shame cuz settlement exterior looks just stunning.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; May 15, 2016 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Censor bypassing

Quote Originally Posted by RaTmAnPL View Post
    Just registered, and one of the main reasons I've done that is because of your submod. Gonna be straight as dwarven architecture - thank you, for all the work you've done. It's easily my fav sub for TA, with all those settlements and minor/major addons... TA just feels like actually completed mod now, without such game-breaking nonsense as vanilla cities inside land of mordor Call me crazy, but still playing thanks to it even today. One does not simply walk away from such a good game

I have seen that you're looking for someone with digital graphics/models skill. I could be of some help... I think. I'm not professional, that's for sure, just a habbyist. But I think that I could make resonable additions, or even upgrade already existing ones. Also could provide some mapping assistance - though I never really got around to do mapping thingy in TWs, I have aquired some overall mapping skill from games such as Half-Life, CS, Alien Swarm, Dawn of War, or Company of Heroes.

On the side note - Dunno if you know this already, but Thorins Halls are... well, broken. You can't put soldiers on walls, neither on the trench-thing. That's not THE real problem though - it gets real when you realize the gate walls don't provide any barrier agains projectiles. Arrows just pass through them. Got my ass kicked by elves becuase of this. elves man. Dwarves cannot be defeated by beardless princesses! Not like that!
    It's shame cuz settlement exterior looks just stunning.

If someone is willing to enhance my sub-mod, I would say that remaking the rock ceilings of the cave settlements would be good, they are ugly right now as I don't have proper skills to do it. But don't count with my help, I'm not going to mod anymore.

Thorin's halls walls? Are you sure you are talking about the right settlement?

I just checked it, there is one elevated platform wich is working well, and the walls over the gate are well too, try it again sometimes the game make a mess with the mouse deployment.

Put soldiers on the threnc-thing? What?

Some structures give no protection against projectiles and that is due to engine limitation as the blockage for projectiles also blocs the player camera so I had to make some tricks in order to get it working well for camera and blocking projectiles at the same time.

By the way, there is a bug in Thorin's halls, the rock ceiling inside the cave gets white when it is winter, should not.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; May 15, 2016 at 04:53 AM. Reason: continuity

Yeah, I was talking about it for sure. Tested it again today. Very weird thing, it seems like it bugs out for me in campaign, but in custom battle everything works perfect. Hm.
    As for the trench-thing - it's that elevated platform you were talking about

I'll check the models out, and maybe try out some things. I hope you won't mind me messing in your past work, heh? Just tryin' to help

Btw. really don't know what is wrong with those cellings. They look... well, alright for my taste. Nothing fancy, but not really bad. You don't really see them much in battle anyways, methinks.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Leo is the best!
    This is surely not a jest.
    His mod is better than the rest!
    All the other mods are just a mess!
    Leo makes his own custom battle maps.
    Other mods just drool like mental handicaps.
    Think you're better than Leo? Come get a slap!
    His talents and yours simply do not overlap.

LEO! LEO! LEO! He's the hero we don't deserve!
    LEO! LEO! LEO! He shall rule and we shall serve!
    LEO! LEO! LEO! No living man can match your might!
    LEO! LEO! LEO! Play his mod or you'll die tonight!

Soo... as I said I'll try things out, I tried. And got some work to show. Not much, work is still in progress, but enough to say with certainly that something is going on. Hope to not disappoint

Main thing is cavern ceiling I've been working on in Thorin's Halls as a example. It's not done yet as I said, the entrances still has to be done, as well as other half of the place. But it's progress, I guess...?
    Also, don't worry about low-res texture, it's just a placeholder. I thought that ceilings could use darker texture, so I put one on just for the test. I could also add some stalactites in the future.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Just for the sake of comparison, here's pic of old piece:

I have made some structure models too, mostly for fun though, so they are not even textured yet. I could throw them around the dwarven places in the future, just to clean up the emptiness.

What do you think? Is it even worthy?

(btw. nice poem right there Mr.Victrix)

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'm not sure how the dwarves would be building their ceilings. But the buildings look nice!

The ceilings in Dwarven settlements would mostly not be natural, they would be decorated. Then again, it's Thorin's Halls, a tiny settlement of little importance. A cave ceiling would actually work fine for them.

As far as I know, Middle-Earth dwarven settlements (or at least their main halls) have ceilings and sometimes even walls carved out of rough stone, with only minor, possibly support-releated decorations such as pillars. You could see that case in Peter Jacksons films, both LotR (journey through Moria) and The Hobbit (if you look close enough while watching Erebor interior shots, you can notice uncarved stone coming from top of the background buildings)

IMO it's pretty cool variation. It gives those settlements unique feel, combining accurate, smooth dwarven work with a bit chaotic personality of natural caverns. After all, even humans can make decorated, but still standard ceilings in their houses. Cave ceilings? Not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Leo is the best!
    This is surely not a jest.
    His mod is better than the rest!
    All the other mods are just a mess!
    Leo makes his own custom battle maps.
    Other mods just drool like mental handicaps.
    Think you're better than Leo? Come get a slap!
    His talents and yours simply do not overlap.

LEO! LEO! LEO! He's the hero we don't deserve!
    LEO! LEO! LEO! He shall rule and we shall serve!
    LEO! LEO! LEO! No living man can match your might!
    LEO! LEO! LEO! Play his mod or you'll die tonight!

Soo... as I said I'll try things out, I tried. And got some work to show. Not much, work is still in progress, but enough to say with certainly that something is going on. Hope to not disappoint

Main thing is cavern ceiling I've been working on in Thorin's Halls as a example. It's not done yet as I said, the entrances still has to be done, as well as other half of the place. But it's progress, I guess...?
    Also, don't worry about low-res texture, it's just a placeholder. I thought that ceilings could use darker texture, so I put one on just for the test. I could also add some stalactites in the future.

Just for the sake of comparison, here's pic of old piece:

I have made some structure models too, mostly for fun though, so they are not even textured yet. I could throw them around the dwarven places in the future, just to clean up the emptiness.

Go ahead, I like it, it pleases me.

Just an extremely cheap, and bad example, but this is how i imagine Dwarven ceilings more:

You have been warned.

Cheap and bad? I would kill to build like that back in the MC days

Yeah, it's pretty, but don't really match with Lotro setting IMHO. It feels more like... idk, maybe Karaks from WH. Or something Warcraftish.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I think they look awesome, and you're definitely on the right track.

Cheap and bad? I would kill to build like that back in the MC days

Yeah, it's pretty, but don't really match with Lotro setting IMHO. It feels more like... idk, maybe Karaks from WH. Or something Warcraftish.
    Tbh its nice but ive seen better. :p
    But, as for if it fits or not, Moria is the most advanced and most beautiful of all the Dwarven settlements, and that was a picture of the Second Hall, which has been described by Tolkien himself to look like that. As for Thorins Halls, agreed, wouldnt fit. But, this is Total War, probably no need for ceilings like that heh.