Page 11 of 248 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661111 ... LastLast

Thread: TATW Unofficial patch 4.0

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Preview: Leo's custom settlements + Carn Dûm (update 11/25/11)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobz View Post
    I like it, feels like we're getting spoiled with all these new settlements

Sorry to ask but where exactly is Carn Dum again?
    Carn Dum was the Witch King's fortress during the times of Angmar. It is located in Gundabad. Great settlement Leo!

Really beautiful !

But maybe a bit too little.
    Sorry for my bad English ; I'm Belgian.

Quote Originally Posted by Rero View Post
    At first I was like at the wall texture but then, when I realised that the ground would not be of that kind when it's placed on the stratmap i was like but rather snowy I was like
    Like... what?

It must have been a lot of work and it's always great to see people creating things. However, I can't say I like these settlements and the terrain that surrounds them. I think they need much more work on details, the terrain looks mostly flat/symetric/unnatural.

Carn Dûm is, I'd say, too "symetric", and I would not expect it to be of the BFME-Mordor-walls style.

Perhaps more research and concept art for inspiration is needed ?

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Carn Dum was rebuilt by the Witchking iirc so Mordor walls are fine. I think Carn Dum, Weathertop and Dunharrow are 3.0 ready. Cirith Ungol needs just needs some terrain improvements

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

All your complainings are about issues originated by the engine limitations that you dont know.
    There are 3 modders making custom settlements for this mod, including me, and we pass some hours studying the engine of it so we know what can and what can't be done, and the final release of a settlement is the final result of that.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

really beautiful, Leo
    rusty Carn Dum is amazing

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

sorry, delete

No offense just my opinion... the engine certainly offers much more possibilites as we can see on the official previews. Nothing is ever definitive in modding, is it

About the rusty walls, I would tend to say that those rusty metal look of Mordor fortresses like the Black Gate or Barad Dûr from the film, that inpired the BFME developpers and modders to use them for generic mordor fortresses and walls, were there because of the heavy metallurgy allowed (besides Sauron's sorcery and craftsmanship) by the Orodruin. I would say the evil forces of the north, the orcs and evil men and trolls in the service Angmar, would not be able to use metals in such an extensive way. They would use stone (and possibly the ice).

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Ice? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Adjudant-Major View Post
    No offense just my opinion
    Dont worry.

Ill try to clarify based on what i know and on what I can do.

The terrain arround will change when the settlement is placed in a specific strategy map location, the editable portion of it, made by me, actually ends right near the walls.

About beeing symetric, yes, you can make settlements the way you want, you can have tons of areas inside it, corridors, plazas... but as I said, there is engine limitations that you dont know. The AI dont know how to fit these areas, the only thing the AI knows how to do when taking a settlement is find the shorter way to the plaza. So you could have your non-symetric settlement just for visual pleasure, but be advised that you would end up with a huge weird thing full of empty places that the AI dont fill with units both when attacking and defending. There is a reason why vanilla setlements are all symetric and equal.

As for the metal, yes you seem to be very lore well informed. Actually, my Carn Dûm was made inspired in BFTME's Dol Guldur, I would agreed with anyone who want to swich KK's Dol Guldur with my Carn Dûm, so making his Dol Guldur to be Carn Dûm AND vice versa. But this is just my opinion.

As for for more details, what about joining me in modding? So we could share all the work of making the 3d models taking care of how it would be fit with textures, craft the UV maps, for it all, craft the texture, place it in the settlement even dont having a editor for this... and some more things that would take us a lot of hours of non profitable working. Im not beeing ironic, this is exactly what I did when I saw KK making custom settlements. I decided to do it by myself.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; November 26, 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leo
    the editable portion of it, made by me, actually ends right near the walls
    Including the Dunharrow map for example ? Anyway, I suppose you are going to post your previews in a proper terrain, ingame, with a custom tile terrain around ? Obviously, it may change a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by leo
    just for visual pleasure
    Right, just for visual pleasure if you like I know that the AI would not use much of the terrain. It won't fight in the streets of Edoras, etc. But I'd say that the visual pleasure is quite important in this game, otherwise we might simply prefer the autoresolve option the atmosphere of the battles is greatly influenced by the visual quality of the map I think. I prefer complicated maps (that the AI still can use of course), not simple battle arenas. I don't care the AI would not use secondary streets and plazzas ? I would use them, I would see them...

I'd say KK's Dol Guldur is excellent and it certainly may be later compared to the concept PJ would come with in the Hobbit, and still win BFME2ROTWK offered a Carn Dûm, but it was not good at all, a quick work, map with no atmosphere, simply three lines of walls in open terrain and a basic building.

I am certainly unable to join you in modding the settlements. My skills are limited, I do script, code and some easy skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by intel
    Ice? Seriously?
    Yes. Moats, pitfalls, even walls... why not, in the mountains of the North ? But I don't insist, I'd be fine with stone

Leo i'm just curious, why you don't take yours settlements in the right place ? i think about Carn Dum and Cirith Ungol, why you don't put them in the mordor place to have the black ground ? Like that, we could more apreciate your work, here we have the good fortress but with the wrong environment.

baz44331's Avatar Ordinarius

Leo I can texture. But its needs to be UV mapped. so that means all ready place on model and outer lines on the texture. Then i can do what ever you like.

eddy's Avatar Libertus

i think your next custom settlement will be esgaroth right ?

Quote Originally Posted by baz44331 View Post
    Leo I can texture. But its needs to be UV mapped. so that means all ready place on model and outer lines on the texture. Then i can do what ever you like.
    Making the etxture is the easy part, I can do it also, all my settlement's textures were made by me. Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by eloniel View Post
    Leo i'm just curious, why you don't take yours settlements in the right place ? i think about Carn Dum and Cirith Ungol, why you don't put them in the mordor place to have the black ground ? Like that, we could more apreciate your work, here we have the good fortress but with the wrong environment.
    I dont know how to do it. And honestly, I dont want to learn, enought of modding knowledge. But as far as I know it is easy and there is some guys in the forums who kowns how to.

Yes, if placed in the right place people would be far more impresessed and probably half of the complainings would dissapear , but Im not looking for mpressing no one.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    The terrain arround will change when the settlement is placed in a specific strategy map location, the editable portion of it, made by me, actually ends right near the walls.
    I think that when those settlements are placed in the appropriate climate in the map things will look more immersive. I think people are liking Weathertop the most cause it is already the way it is supposed to be placed in the strategic map. I think that when people see Cirith Ungol in the dark lands of Mordor they will just drool. The same will happen to when we see Carn Dum in the cold icy mountains of Gundabad. I really like what you have done so far. P.S.:I still hope to see the reworked with no stretched textures Durharrow and Weathertop, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    I know it is easy and there is some guys in the forums who kowns how to.
    So Perhaps we can find a guys who can do it. I'm pretty sure that if you ask, one guys will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    I think that when those settlements are placed in the appropriate climate in the map things will look more immersive. I think people are liking Weathertop the most cause it is already the way it is supposed to be placed in the strategic map. I think that when people see Cirith Ungol in the dark lands of Mordor they will just drool. The same will happen to when we see Carn Dum in the cold icy mountains of Gundabad. I really like what you have done so far. P.S.:I still hope to see the reworked with no stretched textures Durharrow and Weathertop, hehe.
    There is no streched textures in dunharrow. the only models and textures made by me in that settlements are the stone pillars and the statues.

The stretching in weathertop is so minimal that i is almost imperceptible.

Could you please point the pictures where do you see stretching?

baz44331's Avatar Ordinarius

No problem Leo, I wouldn't call it easy though if you do as much detail as I do hehehe. sometimes I may take a week to texture one TGA.. quality over quantity. But I offered my help cos I did comment on a settlement.