Thread: TATW Unofficial patch 4.0

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: 4.4 Alternative patch [RELEASED]

Is there any way to implement the new custom settlements into MOS without the other changes?

there is "any way"

What would that way be?

learn how to mod and use the iwte tool :p

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

I dont know wich kind of obscure forces are conspiring against me but the modding saga continues... now the campaign music I added in the last release simply stopped working. Every faction plays northern european music now on campaign map. All the other sounds are ok. I did absolutelly no changes in the text and pack files regarding to sound. so HOW THE HELL THAT HAPPENED? Tried uninstalling med2 and all mods (I once fixed a sound issue this way), but its still bugged... for God's sake.

The suffering continues...

---------------------------------------------------

Asfor the orocani, it seems that they are far too east, so adding it would be anti lore, but we have spiders as units in the regular army so... maybe we have some freedoom to make it.
    And as the proper tolkien did not say much about it, I belixe the lore is flexible in this point allowing us to try something.

Anyway this is something I still need to study and meditate about, more opinions are welcome.

For now, I think adding tem as a line of mountains on the extreme east border of the map would not be that bad.

As for belegost and nogrod, seems like the silmarillion map by tolkien shows their exact locations so I think that maybe we could add them as ruined small places.

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

I suggest you, leo forget about Blue Mountains and pay your attention tp the East. Would be much dynamic to add Dwarves(Good?) behind alliance of Mordor, Rhun and Harad, don't you think?
    Also one another idea came to my mind: We can not include Red mountains to the game, you can just create your custom settlement and implement it as ambient settlement or custom tile, but not the settlement. This will look like smth there are far east but u can't reach it, but it's not the end of Tolkien's story.. There are another journeys
    Oh so many irony.
    btw It's rly funny that modding won't leave you, everytime strange bugs appear.. From abyss
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; April 23, 2014 at 01:53 PM.

Hi,

Can you plz tell me if this mod is compatible with bodyguard switcher?

I'll try it anyway, so I just want to know in order not to do any funny experiments with the files...

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by raspoutin667 View Post
    Hi,

Can you plz tell me if this mod is compatible with bodyguard switcher?

I'll try it anyway, so I just want to know in order not to do any funny experiments with the files...
    Hello raspoutin667
    They are not compatible

EDIT: Unless you use the manual merge of the BGS and add it to this mod, that should presumably work.
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 24, 2014 at 12:44 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

hey guys, look what I have found:

http://www.lotrplaza.com/archives/in...Age&TID=235892

Seems like even Peter Jackson took the permission to interpret the lore the way he wanted.

I belive that adding them on he far east, like in the map I posted, would be aceptable.

I will make some changes in campaigng map heights to add the mountains and evaluate the results.
    I dont think it will really attack the lore, as jox said, will bring a lot more dynamics to the gameplay as will be something to rhun to deal with. Plus I can make sexy custom settlements for them, adding unique buildings and all, and even better, that regions could house unique units only produced there. Not to say in a far future we could add a new dwarven faction there.

Ill make it so much for the east that the mountains will be only half visible, so they will be the last frontier. but as I said, Im still studyng the idea.

I will also follow this:

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Orocarni
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; April 23, 2014 at 06:47 PM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

To say "even Peter Jackson" in the light of The Hobbit sounds more like a joke hehe, but indeed it can be argued that at least one or two eastern Dwarf house's "outposts" could be found in mountains at such a distance and position;
    ... The other two places [of awakening] were eastward, at distances as great or greater than that between the Blue Mountains and Gundabad: the arising of the Ironfists and Stiffbeards, and that of the Blacklocks and Stonefoots.
    Geographical distances ain't my cup of tea, but seems plausible.

At the same time I strongly suggest you avoid LotRWiki if possible if you want actual and credible Tolkien facts for decisions. For info a bunch of good sites have been gathered and are linked here, while LotR Wiki should be left out until what Tolkien gave us and your own creativity feel depleted, and you want ideas from random companies and people. That's perfectly fine what I am concerned, I only consider it my duty to keep folks aware that what they read and expect to be lore at that site often just as well is written by a 12 year old who learned "the lore" from a video game, haha
    For example on that Orocarni-page alone it's left out that the Dwarven clans lived there duirng the First Age since they awoke there, the "probable theory" of the positions of the clans [in, should be stressed, unmapped mountains] is pulled out of someones behind, same goes for the comments on Avari elven settlements and architecture [which in Lothlorien and Mirkwood were of Sindarin origin or uniqe to that place or both], and I am sceptical to the info about their mineral riches as well as that the mountains were reached by the Edain (well, I have to assume they mean the Dúnedain and kindred folks of later Ages, because the Edain is not a group or a used term after the First Age).

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

thanks Ngugi, compreensive text on your post and good information.

Anyway, I have already finished it.

The final results are pretty good in my opinion. I added the mountains on the extreme border so you actually can see only half of their width.

Four settlements, each one for one clan, called "Ironfists house", "Sitffbeard House" etc.

I decided to not make custom settlements for them, they will use the generic dwarven settlements. I dont think new dwarven mountain settlements are necessary, though Im still not 100% right about this.

Im trying now to add new unique buildings regarding to each clan, each one giving some kind of bonus to the settlement.

I also changed the position of 2 Rhun cities so the map is now more filled, less vast empty lands, one of the settlements added in my 4.4 will now be owned by rhun, as they need now some advantage as the dwarves got too strong with the new orocarni settlements.

The orocarni settlements will be towns and large towns and will not be able to be upgraded, they are most like iconic cool places, you cannot develop rich big cities there.

I will release it as a expansion pack, separated from my 4.5 version wich is also about to be released.

Regarding to the lore, I belive the only attack on it is maybe the position of the mountains, but I belive it is justifiable to make them like such, as 3.2 map is limited and I dont want to enlarge it, because my basic premise always had been to make the actual map more interesting, filling the emptyness and avoiding redundant settlements and not enlarging the map itself. Extending he map on east would allow to place the orocarni even far but then I would need to fill the sotuth part of the map with lots of redundant boring anti-lore settlements for harad and rhun.

Besides, as we know the localization of the orocarni is not completly clear in the lore so it give us some flexibility to adapt. The proper sea of helcar seems to have no defined position and actaully seems to not exist anymore, I followed some sources, seems legit:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Sea_of_Helcar

And this bit goes specially impportant:

Christopher Tolkien and others have speculated that the Sea of Rhûn might "be identified with the Sea of Helkar, vastly shrunken" (The War of the Jewels). InThe Atlas of Middle-earth, Karen Wynn Fonstad assumed that the lands of Mordor, Khand, and Rhûn lay where the Sea of Helcar had been, and that the Sea of Rhûn and Sea of Núrnen were its remnants. In The Peoples of Middle-earth there are references to the Sea of Rhûn existing in the First Age, but no indication as to whether it should be equated with the Sea of Helcar or not.

Well... peter jackson ressurected azog, why cant poor leo pull these mountains a little? It seems my convenient interpretation of the lore is ok.

Actually, I previously poested the image from the lotr movie, and added with this, seems like peter jackson view about it macthes mine

By the way... the campaign music is back working... dont ask me how... it simply fixed itself, those damn ghosts in my pc. At least i know now I dont need to fix anything, its just modding mess happening in my folders, something that will not affect players when they isntall my stuff.

If I keep my decision of not creating new settlements, then release will be tomorrow.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; April 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

That would be awesome, my precious Moria will finally arrive. :')

Orocarni settlements would be awesome but what about maximum settelment number? Which settlements will be deleted?. If there is no such a maximum settlement thing, Avari elves would be excellent threat for Variags and Rhun also.

decided to totally implement the orocarni regions on my next release.

the results got too good (my opinion) and I even have a simple but cool custom settlement for them.

as no lore master came to manifest it would be an aberration (in fact, I dont belive it is, its actually lore friendly as I said before).

Im having some difficulty with making the new UI images show up in game for my new buildings. but I belive I will fix this soon;

release is near!

Some preview images maybe ._. ?

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

You could add KK's Erebor and your old Dain's halls for the orocarni.

Quote Originally Posted by xHolyCrusader View Post
    learn how to mod and use the iwte tool :p
    Gee, that was so incredibly helpful.

I know how to mod bro, or I wouldn't be asking how to do this myself, but for someone else to do it for me. I apologize for my ignorance, but what is the IWTE tool and where would I get it?

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

The IWTE tool is the miracle created on TWCenter so that custom settlements became even possible to create. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...dded-tutorial)

Thank you. However, I haven't the foggiest idea how I would go about doing that. Are there any files I can copy and text I can add? I don't have milkshape or any other modelling software, so I may be up a creek.

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

So get the MS and PS. For how to use IWTE look OP in this thread, there are tutorials. wilddog and mak did tutorials as well.