Page 13 of 248 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863113 ... LastLast

Thread: TATW Unofficial patch 4.0

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Preview: Leo's custom settlements + Carn Dûm (update 11/25/11)

I'd say you should try to join TATW team. I think you could craft generic settlements for TATW using the resources KK and DA already have, if they find you skilled enough, that is.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

I will do some tries to fix the pathfinding problems in barad dur and then if I got to fix it I will do a rework and release it.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Cool!

Berem's Avatar Libertus
    ...Brasil, Santa Catarina, Florianópolis...

...Very lovely work indeed, mainly in "Carn Dûm"; and excellent news about "Barad Dur"...

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Awesome! Btw, Is Carn Dum's wall able to have troops on it? I can't tell.
    If you like the picture of my woman, GIVE ME REP!!!!

One does not simply write with quotation marks... without beeing noticed.

Lol you guys are funny.

The walls on Carn Dûm are not able to have troops on it.
    You cannot have new animations for destroyed walls, so you must use exactly the same walls from vanilla, though you can use new textures. I mean the animation for damage.
    But yes, you can use any surface to deploy man, like my small catwalk in cirith ungol, or his customized gatehouse.

I decided to make the walls not usable in carn dum, first because their shape is based in Dol Guldur from BFTME wich have no man on walls.
    Also, we must have something diferent, men on walls, walls destroyable... we will have lots of them in the generic cities. So we can do something different, you can place your catapults in the second level of Carn Dûm (The AI also do it), wich is higher, defend the ramps, fight between the two line of walls, deploy your units right in the gatehouse to prevent attackers from crossing the bridge, your archers can fire above the walls... possible variations made even with the limited engine. That's what I tried to do, I mean what I did, it works.

Berem's Avatar Libertus
    ...Brasil, Santa Catarina, Florianópolis...

...For the delight of "someones" the highlights are not intended as quotations, being the case that someone find that possibility, or that "I'm" in the eminence of quoting...

..."I" find it amusing the news about "Carn Dûm", and would want to know the possibility of these amazing settlements being added to 3.0?

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Thread cleaned, stay on-topic pls.
    If "someone" would like to use a few of theses [""] then he can do it, until it is not done excessively and disturbing.
    And before someone says "Who judges whether something is disturbing or not" - I can tell you, it's us, the mods

Skald's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    I decided to make the walls not usable in carn dum, first because their shape is based in Dol Guldur from BFTME wich have no man on walls.
    Also, we must have something diferent, men on walls, walls destroyable... we will have lots of them in the generic cities. So we can do something different, you can place your catapults in the second level of Carn Dûm (The AI also do it), wich is higher, defend the ramps, fight between the two line of walls, deploy your units right in the gatehouse to prevent attackers from crossing the bridge, your archers can fire above the walls... possible variations made even with the limited engine. That's what I tried to do, I mean what I did, it works.

Sounds very good and the fights surely will be interesting!
    You did a really good work, my compliments!

sebsebseb1234's Avatar Tiro

Can you please give some screenshots of a fight in Carn Dum please
    Jesus was nailed at the cross, Thor has got a hammer. Any questions?

Quote Originally Posted by leo
    their shape is based in Dol Guldur from BFTME wich have no man on walls
    That's because the creators of BFME2 were kind of lazy BFME1 offered very nice generic castles and custom maps where the troops could be placed on the walls (Cyrith Ungol), this feature has been highly limited later with the wallhubs and small walls, used also for Dol Guldur, Carn Dûm or Fornost... I'd really say it was made so not because it would add something to the gameplay, it was used because it is way much easier. In the code there are residues of large wallhubs and walls, apparently, it has been much more difficult and abandonned quite early.

The thing is that these places are supposed to be classed among the greatest fortresses of the Middle-earth, their defense and their siege should be epic, complicated, they are not minor strongholds... the citadels of old like Fornost may have been destroyed or not really maintained, yet still parts of their fortifications should be there. The thin walls you use are technicaly nothing more than a high palisade, they block the movement, but cannot be used nor defended. They are good perhaps for some small Mordor forts or camps, but certainly not for Carn Dûm. What would Hornburg be without the archers on the walls. Where, in real life, did you see such fortifications without parapets ?

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Adjudant-Major View Post
    That's because the creators of BFME2 were kind of lazy
    EA lazy? ... Well ok that's true

the RotWK expansion is even worse btw... The largest collection of copy/paste I've ever seen
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by Adjudant-Major View Post
    That's because the creators of BFME2 were kind of lazy BFME1 offered very nice generic castles and custom maps where the troops could be placed on the walls (Cyrith Ungol), this feature has been highly limited later with the wallhubs and small walls, used also for Dol Guldur, Carn Dûm or Fornost... I'd really say it was made so not because it would add something to the gameplay, it was used because it is way much easier. In the code there are residues of large wallhubs and walls, apparently, it has been much more difficult and abandonned quite early.

The thing is that these places are supposed to be classed among the greatest fortresses of the Middle-earth, their defense and their siege should be epic, complicated, they are not minor strongholds... the citadels of old like Fornost may have been destroyed or not really maintained, yet still parts of their fortifications should be there. The thin walls you use are technicaly nothing more than a high palisade, they block the movement, but cannot be used nor defended. They are good perhaps for some small Mordor forts or camps, but certainly not for Carn Dûm. What would Hornburg be without the archers on the walls. Where, in real life, did you see such fortifications without parapets ?
    Still, one must consider the climate that surounds Carn Dùm. Garrisonable walls in such an icy climate are an option, but snow and ice would pile over them, making them very hard to mantain (or weakening them) and dangerous to the defenders when manned. On the other hand, snow will fall easily from walls with a "roof" like the ones we see here. Plus, adding a moat in front of them denies to the attacker the use of ladders, and so the defense becomes much easier even with a relatively weak garrison.

Si votre cannon tire, nos rochers n'en seront pas epouvantés

Waldesian fighter to French officer demanding surrender,
    Battle of Balziglia, 24th of may, 1690

I guess it would still be easier to walk on these walls than this :

The moat is good... Anyway, mountain fortresses are, obviously, different from desert or lowland ones.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I believe Adjundant-Major has something like this in mind:

I love your Carn Dum but maybe it would be better with stone walls... But ultimately it's your choice and I believe all your "critics" will soon be begging you to release the awesomeness that are your settlements.

No I don't like this one... I'd prefer something like this (more evil look of course ) :

Mountain fortresses

Don't make me wrong. It's all leo's choice. It's just that he presents it here not only to gather +rep points, but to get also some reflection of his work. I think it is a great work indeed. It's just me... it's not the way I see Carn Dûm, the problem is mine

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Maybe you could improve Carn Dum by making it a bit like in a blizzard, or like it's in the ice age with these walls frozen in ice and such

I have an idea, but I don't know if it's possible : allow to the walls the ability to shoot an arrow (like the the towers) to simulate the presence of a garrison into them. Also there are loopholes on it.
    Sorry for my bad English ; I'm Belgian.

There is no problem here, everyone is free to show his opinions.
    I already said I would like to have KK's Dol Guldur switched with my carn dum, so his dol guldur would be carn dum and vice versa.

There will be blizzard in carn dum in winter. And the etxture map is well done so we can make a winter verson of it, this is actually very simple, takes just a few minutes.

I really recongnize I have a lack of creativity. The images you guys shows are cool but when its about taking this and turning in 3d models able to be skinned it gets HARD! Drawing is simply, crafting a 3d model to be skinned later is far more complicated, you must take care of every vertex, not impossible of course, and now I understand why Devil's_Advocate said some months ago that I was not getting the complexity of this. He was right.
    But now I get it.

I finnaly understood how to really create proper UV MAPS and textures, And my Carn Dûm proves it, and Im not ashamed for all the time it took since I had no teacher or manual and Im not professionally involved in this. I think I reached the standart level of technique of the other modders in this (not talking about, of course, their experience or personal talent).

Im not the most creative guy in the world but Im glad about the feedback I received from the other modders and also from some of you guys here who would like to play in my settlements.

As I said before, most people simply cant get too impressed with my carn dum, for example, because you never saw it on movies and all, so it dont gives you the same feeling like Minas Tirith or Edoras.
    Actually, imersion is all, I agreed, its so important that makes people completly blind about the fact that some of our most loved settlements released until now are actually very simple in therms of models and textures since they simply use vanilla houses.

I will not work on anything more for 3.0.
    But after its release, I will have in my hands the KK's standarts for port cities and mountain cities, so I promess you I will take my hands in something new to be released after 3.0 and maybe beeing added in some like small "settlements mini-mod".
    Since now I reached the quality standart, at least I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorïn II Oakenshield View Post
    I have an idea, but I don't know if it's possible : allow to the walls the ability to shoot an arrow (like the the towers) to simulate the presence of a garrison into them. Also there are loopholes on it.
    Its possible to add fire slots for any uilding with the tool. However, there is another engine limitations that makes good-sense not to try this, basically if you have towers, you must have walls near to it with men.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; November 28, 2011 at 02:41 PM.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

I like it