Third Age Total War Alternative patch.
INTRODUCTION This is an unofficial patch for TATW 3.2. It adds lots of new features and changes some existing ones. This stuff is lore-orientated, trying to be as loyal as possible to the books and the movies. It is also vanilla orientated, wich means it tries to bring stuff that would probably be present in an official 3.3 patch if there was one. One of the general guidances about this patch is try to bring as much uniqueness as possible to each faction. No change is made on the main balancing stats of the game. This is a unofficial release for TATW with no link to the mod owner, its a independent project.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Question: Is it compatible with DAC or MOS?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
NO. IT IS NOT. NOT EVEN A CHANCE. DAC TEAM IS FREE TO USE MY SETTLEMENTS ON THEIR MOD. THATS ALL
Question: Do you plan to continue developing the sub-mod?
Answer: NO, except for bug fices and stuff from other modders.
Question: Does the mod has any bug?
Answer: 4.8 changelog contains the future fixes for the already found bugs. THATS ALL. STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE MOD NOT WORKING, IF IT IS CRACKED, THEN IT IS YOUR FAULT. 4.7 IS STABLE AND FUNCTIONAL.
THIS SUB-MOD USES TATW VANILLA 3.2 AS BASIS. ABSOLUTELLY ALL ADDITIONS/CHANGES ARE EXPLAINED AHEAD, NO LESS NO MORE.
Custom settlement: Weathertop 2.0 - New 3d models, new textures, better PC performance. Its now set as a village.
Custom settlement: Argonath 1.1 - Fixed statues position.
New custom settlement: Barad Dûr
Custom settlement: Dunharrow (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: Carn Dûm (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: Goblintown (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: Cirith Ungol (with strat map model)
Custom settlement: Esgaroth - Buildings now has physics, just added invisible boxes where the houses are, fitting its shape, and gave them collisions.
-Disabled all ambient buildings, so no more stonehenges, palmtress, monasteries or farms in mordor or anywhere. (Link here). In my sub-mod, I've also disabled watch-towers ambient models.
-Fixed weathertop issue (now it cannot be uppgraded so will not change the settlement)
-Cair andros is now back to a vanilla castle. The 3.2 custom version has completly useless layouts for both gates.
New custom settlement: Azanulimbar Dûm (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: Fangorn/Beorn Halls/Rhosgobel (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: Durthang (with strat map model)
Custom settlement: Rivendell 3.0 (more deployment space, new waterfall effects, fixed clicking issues, attacker AI now works properly.)
Custom settlement: Minas Morgul 2.0 (units can be deployed on walls, settlement correctly rotated to fit the strat map heighs and avoid reinforcement problems, it has now a real bridge, not a terrain mount.).
Custom settlement: Esgaroth (fixed deployment issues and wall animations, it has now a real bridge, not a terrain mount. Settlement lowered to match terrain, builds were floating in 3.2)
Custom settlement: The Black Gate (fixed reinforcements beeing spawn in mountains. Fixed defending army deploying units outside the gate. Attacking armies comming from mordor will now show up behind the gate, with no obstacle between them and the plaza, like it should logically be (just added a invisible gate in the opposing side of the settlement (facing mordor), no blockage with pathfinding, the AI just abandon the siege engines and attack the plaza.)
Custom settlement: Dol Guldur (Fixed ladders on walls bug. Fixed reinforcements stuck outside batlemap. Did both by editing the terrain).
Custom settlement: Edoras (Changed plaza position to avoid AI doing nothing, it was not really working in 3.2).
Custom settlement: Minas Tirith (plaza position is now on the 7th level, there is a new inner gate on the 6th level, this way, the AI works 100% now, no more units doing nothing, yes, it really works, all attacking units from a full stack raches the plaza. )
Custom settlement: Carn Dum (some layout changings for far better AI behavior, fixed wall animations).
Custom settlement: Cirith Ungol (fixed terrain issue avoiding armies attacking from east, new darker textures, added The Watchers statues)
Custom settlement: Osgiliath (all sides/versions):
- Projectiles now cannot pass through buildings (same solution from esgaroth).
- All attacking positions/reinforcements works now completly realisticaly integrated with the strat map, both cities can now be attacked with armies comming from the two sides, so if you, for exemple, attack east osgiliath comming from the west, your army will start the battle in west osgiliath, and not be magically teleported to east of east osgiliath. (ATTENTION: that changes were made by precisely editing pathfindings, disabling a gate and editing deploymet, it was exaustively tested with all different attacking amy setups. It works absolutelly perfect now for all attacking directions and circunstances. I've tested all gates, one by one).
- There is now a real brigde, no more swimming time for troops.
- Integrated the settlement with the strat map geography, showing a realistic river/heighs.
PS: Fixes for custom settlements based on this thread.
- Now, if you dont give authonomy to Fangorn, then you will be able to upgrade the city. Makes more sense at all because not giving authorization and holding a useless village was pointless.
-Edited Dol Guldur terrain to look dirty like Carn Dûm, no more green grass.
-New battlefield pics (custom battle menu) for Erebor and argonath.
-Setlements available in custom battles will now be Minas Tirith, Erebor, Azanulimbar Dûm, Hornburg and Carn Dûm. (It was necessary to remove some of them, and those wich remain are the most interesting layouts for multiplayer anyway). All custom tiles in custom battles are kept, including argonath and osgiliath rivercrossing.
-Added green haze effect to Minas Morgul (a really moving haze, made by editing a smoke effect from vanilla med 2 , see the pic).
-Beorn Halls now named Beorn Woods.
-New interfaces and faction symbols taken from MOS and then adapted.
-No more orc "castles". (Sauron made the black gate and barad dur with the power of the one ring and thats all, more castles than this seems quite anti-lore, we dont have proper custom settlements for it and the new upgrade system does not allow orcs to build castles, they actually really should not be able to do such...)
- Strat map models are now limited, so for example large castles for dale and fpoe will load castle strat map models. Huge models bigger than Minas Tirith for generic settlements in the map really offend the immersion/lore).
- Fixed weathertop not working.
- Fixed weird object floating in Rivendell plaza.
-Fixed w. osgiliath crash.
-Fixed bug on Osgiliath river crossing custom battle and campaign map one.
-Fixed ground tile textures in minas tirith
-Battles in custom battle menu will now load the new fixed settlements.
- Removed ballista tower build buttons in settlements were they cannot be built.
-Changed faction descriptions to match the new upgrade system.
- The faction Dale will now load southern european settlements.
- No more crosses in any european settlement (edited the churches tech tree models. But there is still some crosses that are from the settlement itself and not from the techtree).
- Settlements in Mordor cannot be upgraded anymore (they are now set as cities or large cities. No elves building beautiful cities inside mordor etc.)
- Text editing for region descriptions, settlement upgrade and settlement features for making all the changes in this sub-mod more transparent for the player. Also removed vanilla text related with non TATW features like converting cities to castles.
- Enabled BETTER WATER sub-mod again. (Exporadical CTD or not, this one is a must be.)
- New loading screens. More armies/settlements/action, less faces and characters.
-Changed the texture type that fills places like argonath and rivendell. The old texture looked like rooten cheese. The new one is similar to the proper argonath statue texture, like in the pics of the argonath that are on the preview. (Did it by editing descr_geography_new.db)
- Argonath now is clean sun, no more rain, so you can see the epicness of the statues and its reflects on the water!
-New event pics for dwarven marriage and dwarven woman (replaces the old cartoonish ones).
-New event pics for settlement upgrades from all factions.
- Unit detail on battlefield is now set as "highest" on the .cfg file so this bug fix is now standart.
- Screenshot resolution set now as 1650 by default. (hd screenshots).
- New recruitment system for AI.
- New settlement upgrade system.
New custom settlement: Dain's Halls. (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: New erebor. (with strat map model) (not properly rorated on the strat map but I did it this way so the sun hits the main entrance and shows its beauty, as it has 1 gate only, there is no difference at all for its functionality).
New custom settlement: Mountain fort. (with strat map model)
New custom settlement: Generic dwarven settlements. (with strat map models)
THE NEW SETTLEMENT UPGRADE SYSTEM - New icons and descriptions for upgrading settlements. The ones in vanilla actually never matched reality. They were wall images, but when you upgrade the settlement you dont upgrade just the wall but all the settlment itself. For TATW, there is custom settlements wich dont even has walls. And as now factions like gondor will have stone walls for places where there was wooden ones before (large_towns), I've changed all these images to a generic building image. Each upgrade will show new descriptions matching the new system. The same goes to castles. So now upgrades in settlements will really worth a read on their descriptions! No more orc encampments with wooden palisades showing large stone walls descriptions, no more "God" quoted in fortress descriptions etc. Now everything is more to the LOTR mood.
-New descriptions for each faction on the faction choose menu, at the start of the campaign, showing its settlement features.
-Each faction will now have a more unique settlement characteristic. Some factions will not be able to upgrade certain types of settlements anymore, their building techtrees will be unlocked via 3 events, so they can upgrade all buildings, level after level with a new time/turn restriction, but they cannot upgrade the settlement itself. A proper analysis on that new system will prove it is lore accurate and also gives more uniqueness to each faction, beeing also a immersion booster. Settlements will be now a really different feature for each faction, like units are. This is how it will be:
GONDOR (ALL STRONG SETTLEMENTS)
-No restrictions about upgrading cities or castles.
-No wooden palisade walls in large towns but stone walls.
-No wooden wall in any castle level.
HARAD, RHUN, DALE
No restrictions about upgrading cities or castles.
No restrictions about upgrading cities or castles.
OOG, OOTMM, MORDOR and ISENGARD (WEAK CITIES, NO CASTLES)
Can upgrade all cities but no castles.
Cannot build balista towers, no building icon shown. (Their custom cities battlemaps has no towers, and that is lore accurate at all).
HIGH ELVES (NORMAL CITIES, NO CASTLES)
Can upgrade cities but no castles.
SILVAN ELVES (NORMAL CITIES, NO CASTLES)
Cannot upgrade castles or have stone walls in cities (city and large_city will load large_town model).
Cannot build ballista towers.
DWARVES , OROCARNI DWARVES (NORMAL)
Can upgrade everything. (But their city models are very limitated, see the preview)
ROHAN (WEAK CITIES, WOODEN CASTLE)
-Can upgrade all cities but is not able to have stone walls, even if the settlement upgrades to city or large city, it will still be a large town in the battle map. (weird siege engine animations in large cities but works anyway)
-Can upgrade castles until "wooden_castle". (Lore...)
-Cannot build balista towers, no building icon shown. (Lore reasons).
There will be then 3 barrack events. They will occur in a certain time of the campaign, unlocking the building capacities. This way the inability of some factions to upgrade settlements will not mess the game. All factions needs both the events and upgrading the settlement itself in order to unlock new buildings for cities. In castles, they just need the 3 events. This also fixes a vanilla problem as now we can get all buildings for unique settlements wich are set as castles on minor levels, . Also notice that this way castles will really be military places compared to cities, as they are able to build any structure even without upgrading to higher castle levels (but they still need to wait for the events), so now castles will be really different from cities, making them more impportant and forcing the player to look for their capture in the camapaign in order to have a strategical advantage.
THE NEW RECRUITMENT SYSTEM FOR AI
Factions controlled by the AI will now recruit units faster than the player (except trolls, mumakils and siege weapons). Due to this new feature, the "help weakened factions" and the "last stand" scripts will be removed. No more enemy stacks magically appearing from nothing to mess your tactics and immersion. (The game is still hard as before, belive me...). Basically, it recruits a little slower than the best recruitment speed for the player (there is different speeds depending on the region).
This system is properly ballanced to avoid money bankrupt or millionare factions, or even turn times getting too long, all made by Mank, any doubt, ask him.
Factions always keep their fortune arround 20000 or so, so the game is well balanced.
New custom settlement: Dale
New custom settlement: Dain's Halls (Replaces de previous version, with strat map model).
New custom settlement: Generic gondorian castles and cities (all types/levels).
New custom settlement: Generic elven towns and large towns.
New custom settlement: Thranduil's Halls (with strat map model)
- Dale, Barad Dûr (replaces azanulimbar dum), West Osgiliath, East Osgiliath, Umbar and Dain's Halls available on custom battles.
- Included the Umbar (middle eastern huge city) pathfinding fix.
- Replaced Mountain Fort custom settlement from 3.0 with a dwarven fortress.
- Fixed the new churches techrees (without any crosses) not working. That was because the names of the folders were written wrong by CA in vanilla! (north_euorpean and south_eurpean!)
-New faction leader and custom portrait pics for some characters (based on the new movies).
- Erebor strat map model simplified for faster loading screen times.
- New textures for southern european settlements (dale faction) to look more like the movie. (You can see how they look on the dale city preview, I had to change the .mesh files for walls in vanilla TATW, I had no idea why KK placed them there, no usage at all, but better not risk.)
- New unit info images. (For 89% of the units, I could not find the other ones )
- New faction preview pictures.
- New textures for Harad and Rhûn settlements (middle eastern). More darker, no more shinning gold or weird pink walls. (Both for strat map and battlemap textures).
- New grey textures for gondorian wathctowers replacing the pink ones.
- New loading screens. Replaced some of the vanilla ones and added a lot of new ones. More armies and settlements, less characters and faces.
- No more sprites for units no matter the camera distance. (no performance reduction)
- Darker textures for esgaroth (for matching the movies). Also fixed some small terrain texture issues.
-Removed the vanilla camera shake effect when projectlies from catapults, trebuchets and other engines hits or even when these engines fire. Also the shakes for when walls and towers collapse. (It was annoying, undermined the health of eyes and gave me headaches). See here.
-Removed camera focus for when generals dies and also for when gates/walls collapses.
-Music addon/change: New campaign and end turn unique movie music for Rohan, Gondor and Dwarves. A new campaign music track for Dale, FPOE and Arnor. (Kept all the old music files). New campaign music for Elves (kept the LOTR ones and added 2 or 3 more from the movies so now only the Howard Shore soundtrack is present). New battle music from the movies. No more medieval 2 tracks. All music now comes from LOTR/HOBBIT movies. Also replaced some dwarven diplomat sounds )scotish), you will no more hear them say "Scotlands" or "Scotland". Edited orc diplomat sounds, no more orc diplomats with german noble accent. (I used the vanilla battlemap voices from orcs to replace them). New battle win music for dwarves.
- Dwarven siege towers and rams has now 2x more health and cannot be ignited. Dwarven rams can make 2x more damage than the others.
- Removed the ability of firing cow carcases from gondor and arnor threbuchets.
- Some small amend on models and textures for gondorian strat map settlement textures.
- Added the grape shot ability for dwarven catapults. See here. Edited the unit description text to show such feature. Finally catapults will have a proper usage against units in med2 engine! Proper icon and button functionality.
- Added mortar shot for dwarves catapult. Its a new custom made shot made by me, basically, its the same mortar shot from med2 but ignited, so it is a special shot for firing above walls and hitting enemies wich are inside the defenses of the settlement. It replaces the catapult fire shot, but only for dwarves. It works absolutelly fine. Proper description text for the unit. Proper icon and button functionality. See the preview.
- Isengard's catapult main shot is now a bomb shot and can destroy a wall with a single hit. (Like the one used in Hornburg battle on the movie). Though it cant fire flaming shots anymore. The point is making it brutal against buildings and weak against units. That brings more lore and facton uniqueness.
- Small changes on button texts for better fitting the new abilities.
- Dwarven catapults has now 2x more damage than all the others. (For destroying walls and towers faster).
- Better accuracy for all good faction catapults (specially good for the dwarven one). Lower accuracy for orc faction catapults. Better accuracy for elven faction ballistas. (I belive this will ballance the game as factions with trolls always get an advantage against the ones wich could not defend themselves against such units).
- Unit recruitment rates lowered for AI, for better ballancing.
- A few recruitment rates slightly speeded up for units with vanilla absurd values like 34 turns for recruiting a berserker. (It is still long, but more rational now).
- Removed camels from the game. Replaced them with easter horses. (They were brutally anti-lore)
- New warg mount 3d models and animations for OOG and OOMM.
- New models for elven and dwarven siege towers and rams.
- New model for dwarven catapult.
- More loading screens from the Desolation of Smaug Movie.
- You can now see Dale while fighting in Erebor. (Vice-versa was already true). (I've had to make the "unused 2" climate to load no tree, grass or stones because it was causing problems with the techtree method I used, anyway that climate is only used on dwarven settlements for the entire middle earth map).
- A new small garrison script is now added. Dwarven large cities or large castles will load a garrison catapult when attacked. (both for player of AI). The principle is the same from the vanilla garrison script so the unit cannot be used after the battle for taking it out of the settlement, it will just disband after the siege.
- Amended the waterfall effect. (Greatly reduced the flow interruptions, made it far more realist, greatly improves preformance in places with much of them, like rivendell).
- Weather changes: Slightly reduces the chance of rain and fog for all climates, yet kept the characteristics of specific places like mirkwood forest beeing much foggy. Added "clear" pattern for mountain settlements climate (there was just fog and light fog, now you can see the sun, but still no rain or snow precipitation even if the ground is covered with snow.)
ABOUT THE NEW UNIT INFO PICTURES New unit info images more to match the movies itself and possible future TATW upgrades than the units already there.
ABOUT THE NEW MUSIC The music pieces were taken from the movies soundtrack. As movie soundtrack are made to match the actions of the scenes, I had to edit the mp3 files to avoid too loud or too low volumes, depending on the track moment, so this way trying to keep the campaign map ambient mood. I also had to cut some parts of the tracks in order to keep the ritm.
NOTE: After finding out that custom settlements can work well in custom battles but not in camapign ones, I've tested them all in campaign battles and all found issues were fixed in this release, as follows.
Custom settlement: Generic FPOE/ARNOR settlements. Only city, large city, castle and large castle. (with stratmap models) Based on vanilla NE ones.
Custom settlement: Generic gondorian castles are now based on southern european ones. The teutonic ones presented a unfixable bug, see here. (One more reason for not using them also for orcs, as I removed them in previous versions of this sub-mod). New stratmap models for them..
Custom settlement: New layout for Minas tirith.(total settlement usage!) (see the GENERAL EXPLANATIONS section)
Custom settlement: Some ice over Esgaroth's lake (it only shows up in winter , see preview)
New custom settlement: Gundabad (with strat map model) (a little discussion about its concept can be found here)
New custom settlement: Ruined Fornost Erain and Annuminas (with strat map model) (Can be upgraded by any faction)
New custom settlement: Dwarven large castle and large city. (with strat map model) (The same from the previous level plus undestroyable/undockable walls, some cool fire/smoke/light effects and 3x more powerful towers.)
- Fixed some incoherent descr_strat.txt entries.
-Added some new regions. (In specific locations for better campaign map enjoyment and integration with places like Thorin's Halls. Simple towns or villages with nothing special in it, but guarded by bandits.
- Winter textures for all custom settlements in TATW.
- Some editing on map_heights.tga in gundabad region (absolutelly necessary for proper integration of the settlement mountains in the strat map, otherwise mountains would be cut at certain height)
- Many amends in map_ground_types.tga for preventing reinforcements beeing spawn in wrong places on settlement battles (on water or mountains). That was actually beeing amend since 4.0 version.
- Fangorn terrain is now flat (for proper AI functionality). Better vegetation distribution on it.
-Fixed dwarves upgrading generic settlements to Erebor.
- Hennet Anun is now a town (makes more sense), and has a waterfall.
- Fixed small issue on AI functionality with siege towers in the generic dwarven settlement.
- Added a small land portion on the rivercrossing near Pelargir (the crossing looks more natural now).
- Proper alpha channels for Erebor and Azanulimbar Dum. The structures now can be seen at night.
- Fixed bad AI functionality in all the temperate_decidious_forest climate. See here.
- Fixed rocks appearing in minas morgul terrain (It was a bug of the 4.0 version of this sub-mod regardig to worldvegetation file).
- Fixed pathfinding in Minas Morgul (units were entering the lake).
- Fixed Osgiliath's trees appearing on the water and consequently the sporadical CTDs when loading battles there. (It was a bug of the 4.0 version of this sub-mod regardig to worldvegetation file).
- Added the light effect for erebor, dain's halls and azanulimbar dûm, in night battles (they are awesome )
- Added light effect for barad dur, Isengard and minas morgul (green one)
- More music tracks.
- Better blockage for arrows being fired through thranduil's halls cave. (still might happen but very rare.)
- Esgaroth finally working 100% for attacking AI. The walls are not more dockable by ladders or siege towers but can still be broken. See here.
- Small smoothering on minas tirith cliff on stratmap.
- Enhanced Minas Tirith stratmap model.
- New building icons for dwarven ballista towers.
- Removed the ability yo build towers in regions where there are custom settlements models that actually has no towers in it, like Thranduil's Halls.
- Small fix on erebor wall's textures.
- Fixed animation bug of the gates in Azanulimbar dûm and Erebor.
- Fixed the THE ONE RING SCTIPT not working. (I dont know why it simply stopped working, it was exactly the same vanilla 3.2 script, I changed nothing on it, it simply stopped working and no one knows why. Anyway it is running now and it works exactly like 3.2 vanilla, we did not change any concept, we just made it to work again, ask Jox25, he fixed it.) Sometimes it stills fails to move camera at the settlement where the ring is found but is sporadical.
4.5 CHANGELOG New Custom Settlement: Thorin's Halls (with stratmap model)
New Custom Settlement: Orocani dwarven settlements (same in all 4 regions)
Custom Settlement: Elven large town - custom elven towers, catwalks for deploying units inside the settlement.
Custom Settlement: Dwarven settlements - units can now be deployed on the arcs.
Custom Settlement: Rivendell - Some aesthetics changes to make it look more like the new The Hobbit movies. Plus ice on the water like esgaroth (only winter).
Custom Settlement: Moria - Total new concept (and new strat map model), explained ahead.
- All new regions have now proper encyclopedia icons, with proper region description, special features matching hidden resources and proper lore text taken from nearby regions.
-Fixed road going inside Dain's Halls
-Fixed units going on water in Minas Morgul
-Elostirion set to town (it was a village, we have no custom settlement for elven village)
-Better winter texture for orc settlements
-Better winter texture for Carn Dum
-Proper event images for upgrading elven cities
-Removed all vegetation from moria climate. Still can show up, dont know why.
-New stratmap model for Goblintown
-Fixed med2 vanilla bug in rocks from "unused2" climate.
-Fixed ceiling rock texture inside Erebor becoming white in winter.
-Increased population for Fornost Erain and Annúminas so you can upgrade both at turn 100 or so. (I did the correct cauculus )
-Changed the title "helms-deep" to "Helm's Deep" in the enciclopedia of its region. (It was a vanilla 3.2 bug)
- New misty mountains topography, see explanation ahead.
-Changed coordinates of misty mountains custom battlemap to avoid the terrain flattering due to the new misty mountains topography.
- New encyclopedia text for Kibil Dûm settlement (it was showing garrison script in 3.2 vanilla but there is not)
- Slightly increased the Iron Hills heights on stramap.
- New building image for the Atlas of Middle Earth. (Its the middle earth map poster from the new Hobbit Franchise, it has The Orocarni!)
- Existing resources properly indicated in new regions on descr_strat (the ; and following region)
- New resources added for he orocarni regions.
- Some new army units at campaign starting in Rhûn cities plus increased their King's Purse. (To ballance with the new dwarven threat from the east)
- Dwarven winning conditions: Removed mount gram region , added east moria.
- New faction map objetives and localization images.
- Kibil Dûm is now a town. (Thorin's halls is already too strong, enough power for dwarves in blue mountains)
THE NEW MORIA -There is now 2 Moria settlements, east and west ones, like Osgiliath.
-Both settlements are based on 3.2 models and layouts, mostly.
-Depending from where the attacker comes on the campaign map, the battlemap will deploy them on different positions, like when attacking west moria from west they will show up in front of the gate, if they attack west moria from east, they will come from inside the mountain, with no gate between them and the plaza.
-There is no gates in east moria.
-The bridge is now really a bridge (I did it as narrow as possible, more narrow than this would bring bizarre bugs, belive me I tried a lot).
-There is a custom tile in between the two moria settlements, like the osgiliath one. It can also be acessed via custom battle. (Its the huge hall of pillars seen in the movie).
-East moria has no garrison script. (its already too difficult to take the settlement with the bridge).
-Crusades for east moria but not west moria.
PS1: BEWARE! The interaction between strat map heights, battle map heights and masks is extremly precise in Moria,
do not change them otherwise AI will act wrong, like trying to circle the settlement finding new routes created by the terrain and not attacking the gate.
It could also cause the rock dome 3d models to not match the terrain properly causing a big mess. DONT TOUCH THIS!
PS2: OBS: Vanilla moria custom tile is now removed.
PS3: Attaking AI can get messed in east moria trying to circle the settlement but they will not, give them some time and they will run to the plaza using the bridge.
THE NEW MISTY MOUNTAINS TOPOGRAPHY The shape of the misty mountains in 3.2 stratmap was, in my opinion, horrid, killing both immersion and aesthetical. KK probably did it this way because there is a engine limitation that flats the terrain when it goes above some specific height, meaning battles fought above mountains would show up a totally flat battlemap, so thats why Kk made the passages in lowered height. But I think having the proper mountain shape in stratmap is more impportant as it saves the immersion. So I did new misty mountains for stratmap, you will now see your armies climbing the mountains in stratmap, the settlements are far hight, so everything looks cooler and the flatering on battlemaps are not that bad anyway. I still kept some lowered passages, like near goblintown, plus all passages on misty mountains are not that much, meaning there will actually not much battles there.
PS1: New unique settlement for mountain fort, it is a generic dwarven large castle but with some heigh changes to avoid terrain flattering by the
engine due to the heigh where it is localized in stratmap. The heights of generic orc large cities were also changed (slighly, -20), for the same reason,
as orc outpost settlement is now a lerge_city, still ok in all other locations. All that was made in IWTE.
PS2: I kept the exactly same pathfinding passages for misty mountains in stratmap, I belive KK did it with a good motivation so I will not change it. I just changed the aesthetics.
ABOUT THE NEW OROCARNI REGIONS
The final results are pretty good in my opinion. I added the mountains on the extreme border so you actually can see only half of their width. As we know, according to the lore they are really on far east.
I also changed the position of 2 Rhun cities so the map is now more filled, less vast empty lands, one of the settlements added in my 4.4 will now be owned by rhun, as they need now some advantage as the dwarves got too strong with the new orocarni settlements.
Regarding to the lore, I belive the only attack on it is maybe the position of the mountains, but I belive it is justifiable to make them like such, as 3.2 map is limited and I dont want to enlarge it, because my basic premise always had been to make the actual map more interesting, filling the emptyness and avoiding redundant settlements and not enlarging the map itself. Extending he map on east would allow to place the orocarni even far but then I would need to fill the sotuth part of the map with lots of redundant boring anti-lore settlements for harad and rhun.
Besides, as we know the localization of the orocarni is not completly clear in the lore so it give us some flexibility to adapt. The proper sea of helcar seems to have no defined position and actaully seems to not exist anymore, I followed some sources, seems legit.
And this bit goes specially impportant:
Christopher Tolkien and others have speculated that the Sea of Rhûn might "be identified with the Sea of Helkar, vastly shrunken" (The War of the Jewels). InThe Atlas of Middle-earth, Karen Wynn Fonstad assumed that the lands of Mordor, Khand, and Rhûn lay where the Sea of Helcar had been, and that the Sea of Rhûn and Sea of Núrnen were its remnants. In The Peoples of Middle-earth there are references to the Sea of Rhûn existing in the First Age, but no indication as to whether it should be equated with the Sea of Helcar or not.
Well... peter jackson ressurected azog, why cant poor leo pull these mountains a little? It seems my convenient interpretation of the lore is ok.
With this, seems like peter jackson view about it macthes mine.
Custom Settlement: New layout for the Dwarves of Orocarni settlements plus fixed stretched textures. They are now generic and can be build anywhere.
New Faction added: Orocarni Dwarves (The justification for the creation of the new faction is pretty much the same from what I have said in 4.5. Their units are based in vanilla 3.2 dwarves to avoid unballancing. The new faction is well integrated in all necessary scripts in campaign_script.txt).
-Better image for High Elven eldar spear unit info.
-Some loading screen replacement.
-Fixed some sections of the catwalks on the elven cities not beeing able to deploy units.
-Added some fire lamps on the elven catwalks (brings a cool elven style/looking at night )
-Fixed the vanilla 3.2 bug in mumakil buildings on EDB, see here
-Included Germanicu5's fix for his own RBAI script, fixing reinforcements CTD and avoiding scripts turning off if you play 2 battles in the same turn. Here
-Fixed buildings in Thorin's Halls beeing city ones while the settlement is actually a castle.
-Better integration between deployment block doors in dwarven settlements (moving units through walls, ground and platforms got easier)
-Reduced 4x the a_highland_mountains campaign map texture (the one that fills mountains like the misty ones). In vanilla it was too large making it look stretched.
-Edited text files to explain players about the new settlement upgrade system.
-Small amends on dwarven settlements 3d structures.
-Fixed battlemap terrain surroundings beeing black, see here, it was a TATW 3.2 vanilla bug. (Yes, I paid attention to the fact that I changed some textures in descr_geography_new as I describe ahead, so all the values matches)
- Dáin's Halls is owned by rebels on campaign start now and Orc Outpost is a town. (Thats because East Moria, West Moria and Goblintown are Huge cities so OOTMM got too powerful!)
- Some necessary changes in campaign faction menu map images for matching the new changes.
- Fixed OOG campaign faction menu map image (Vanilla 3.2 was not matching ingame actual situation of regions!)
- Fixed some things related with the Moria Halls tile.
- Fixed campaign map CTD (Rhun general having no name).
- Beorn Woods settlement now called Beorning's Woods.
- Small changes on the THE ONE RING SCRIPT so coordinates matches the new settlement positions.
- Better winter textures for dwarven settlements.
- The Balrog now shows up in East Moria
- Changed Balrogs to Balrog in the text files.
- Fixed the gound texture going totally black under the shadows at night battles, it was a vanilla 3.2 bug, see here. Battles inside mountains are far better now as well as any terrain under shadow in any battle.
- Some small amends in Moria Halls, E. Moria and W. Moria terrain textures and also in its 3d models for better looking. New custom battle picture for Moria Halls.
-More regions in extreme north of middle earth (with reduced building capacities) and terrain textures changed (stratmap). Every battle in these lands (unused1 climate) will be winter battles, no matter if it is summer (that matches the campaign map, its always winter there), always winter ground textures, vegetation and enviroment. The same pinciple is used on the hight passages above the misty mountains, it will always be winter there (both on stratmap and battlemaps). For the entrances of the mountain paths at the bottom of the mountains I've made them to be a foggy climate like (so not always winter in there). Besides The foggy climate is now removed from non mountain regions.
- Moria (tropical) and mountain settlements (unused2) climates fixed (no more rain or snow but still all other conditions ).
- Barad Dur custom battle climate set as mordor one (sandy_desert).
- Blizzards totally removed from the game. (They are annoying and unfair as totally blocks your vision of the battlefield giving advantage to the AI.)
- New game menu interface (from DAC).
- Some small changes on extreme east of the campaign map.
- Fixed some bugged UI unit info cards.
- Some changes in text files.
- New settlement upgrade event images for southern european (dwarves).
- Removed spiders as mercenaries, but they are still in the ambushes!
- Added permanent winter textures for Mountain Fort settlement.
- Dain's bodyguard unit is now boar riders.
- Dwarven regions now have dwarven rebel units when revolt (it was mordor orcs in 3.2)
- Rohan bodyguards now ride Mearas horses (it means they run 1.2x faster than normal horses plus a small change on their unit text description to explain this)
- Change settlement's names script edited to include both Morias.
CHANGES IN EXPORT_DESCR_BUILDINGS.TXT -Deleted some duplicated lines.
-Castles can now recruit units faster than cities (1 or 2 turns of difference and not for siege engines.)
-All castles receive one extra recruitment slot.
-All castles received one extra free upkeep slot.
-militia_barracks city was a pointless building (except for settlements with the AOR units) as it had the same recruitment rates from the previous level. So I've made its recruitment rates faster than the previous one. This building also gives now experience bonus for units trained here both for AI and player (In vanilla 3.2 it was just for the AI) and also has now recruitment_slots 1. The same goes to c_earls_stables castle and c_earls_stables city.
- Removed the recruitment_slots 1 line from town_watch city. Guess it was just a messed line from 3.2 vanilla.
- Changed the missile buildings recrutiment rates, in vanilla 3.2 they were strange and Im not right why, maybe to force AI to recruit certain types of units, the more advanced the building the slower was its recruitment rate so I normlized it, besides, with the new recruitment system, AI has now unique recruitment parameter rates.
4.7 CHANGELOG - Fixed bug with Orocarni Dwarves generals having no name.
- More variations for Dwarves and Orocarni Dwarves unit amor textures plus some changes.
- Some fixes in grammatical errors in Bear Riders unit description text.
- Added Town Hall in one of the Orocarni Settlements to allow them recruiting diplomats at the start of the campaign.
- Fixed Orocarni Dwarves victory condition's image not showing up.
- Mattaram settlement is now castle. (more power to Rhûn)
- More King's Purse to Rhûn.
- Buildings for recruiting diplomats can now be built at the start of the campaign (no barrack event necessary).
- Removed unit without texture from dwarves in Thorin's Halls on the start of the campaign.
- Removed tower building capacity from Thorin's Halls region. (its custom settlment has no towers)
- Added 5 more regions in victory conditions for Dwarves, both short and long campaigns (new regions on the north made it easy for them).
- More rebel units at the start of the campaign in Wormcove settlement.
- Fixed A LOT of issues in the new dwarven 3d models. (Beards moving strange etc.)
- Added Variag Raiders as a mercenary unit for Orocarni Dwarves. (Same setup from dale cavalary)
- Fixed mithril mines not beeing able to be built. (Balrog feature works well now).
- Fixed campaign map CTD related with characters having no name.
- Added the Orocarni Sub-factions feature (only it! not the rest in the thread! Kiliç Alì you rock. )
- Dwarven Axemen are now Mattock Warriors (same stats, ony changed the weapon model)
- Rhûn owns one more region (with garrison script) at the campaign start. (making them stronger for facing the Orocarni Dwarves)
- Fixed #southern_european_militia_drill_square.tga, it was bugged since 3.2
- New loading screens
- Removed axethrowers from vanilla dwarves (only orocarni have them now)
4.8 CHANGELOG - Fixed menu image still showing "4.6"
- Fixed Boromir stratmap popup name showing "orocarni".
- Added some new loading screens.
- Fixed low level settlements not beeing able to recruit any unit.
- Climate around Umbar changed to be beach/sand like.
- Music changes: Added 3 new tracks from BOFA movie to north european culture (dale and FPOE), slightly edited a dwarven music track to include something from the BOFA movie, removed 3.2 non LOTR franchise music from north european culture (dale and FPOE).
- New stratmap model for Cirith Ungol.
- Added static wall trebuchets in Minas Tirith. (They are actually cannon towers with edited projectile proprieties, they are independent from normal arrow/ballista towers in the same settlement, having nothing to do with their upgrades or functionality, so different tower types/levels cohexists well in the same settlement, they have no animation, they cannot be built, campaign will start with them already there. There is proper building icons for it in stratmap and their firing sounds are trebuchet ones, not cannon). (No tower can now be demolished in any settlement, all levels.)
- Gondor penninsula beach can now be reached by ships and disembark armies.
- Fixed Fangorn/Beorn woods custom settlement pathfinding.
- Fixed Annuminas/Fornost custom settlemend pathfinding.
- Fixed Hennet Annûn being upgradable.
- Fixed Fornost and Annuminas population decrease. (I had to get 2 of the same population growth buildings in Annuminas, found no other way.)
- New custom settlement: Gundabad based on the movie (and respective stratmap model).
- New custom settlement: Bree
GENERAL EXPLANATIONS -Yes, there is new animations for all the new textures in all the new present custom settlements, so no glitches when walls are hit.
-The settlements are correctly rotated to avoid issues with strat map compatibility, like reinforcements beeing spawn on mountains.
-They are also correctly placed to be lore acurrate, so, Cirith Ungol, for example, can be attacked from both sides, each one deployng the attacker army on the correct side of the settlement.
-We also choose the right settlement types to implement those (citadel, large_city etc.)
-Sally forth does not work for some custom settlements when there is no gate to the army to cross. (cannot be fixed). You must autoresolve the battle or advance towards the enemy sally forth army when the battle is loaded.
-If you attack east osgiliath from west osgiliath, buildings in west osgiliath will be passable by units (it was necessary for deployment reasons).
- Some settlements will start the campaign with wrong upgrade icons, that will be fixed right when you upgrade the settlement. Unique settlements uses generic icons so they will never fit, just dont look at them.
- A few custom setlement's walls will not match the siege tower sizes (e.g. dwarven large_towns), yet everything works fine and it does not look that bad anyway.
-Some very small texture glitches on the new siege engines due to some problems with 3ds max to .mesh conversion.
-After realizing that custom settlements can have different AI behavior from custom battles to campaign ones, I tested them all (including 3.2 vanilla ones) to check if they were working well, that resulted in some small fixes on esgaroth.
- BEWARE: Be careful when using these settlements in another submod. Settlements on this submod were made to have working layouts, that includes changes on many small things, even climates, check here and here for more information. Some of them have a precisely made integration between battlemap terrain and stratmap terrain, changing the terrains or moving the settlement position could cause bizarre results, like deforming the settlement and making it not work for the AI.
- Minas Tirith: It works fine for AI with all army setups (trebuchets, ballistas etc) except that when the AI uses a ram to reach the second gate, its men can get lost in the curves of the city, BUT THIS IS SPORADICAL. Also SOMETIMES the AI can get stuck and not reach the plaza even after breaking the second gate. BOTH BUGS ARE SPORADICAL AND CAN HAPPEN IN CUSTOM AND CAMPAIGN BATTLES SO IF IT HAPPEN JUST RELOAD THE GAME AND TRY IT AGAIN.
- Some towers in generic custom settlements based in southern or northern european vanilla settlements has no animations, this is a vanilla bug as I tested it in vanilla game and they actually never got an animation.
- Everything in this submod was made just by editing/changing the less text folder/file sructure from vanilla 3.2 as possible, so I did no "mess". Everything is still on the same place so you can easly check what is new and what is from vanilla, everything is still organized both in texts on text files and folder/file organization.
- The climate in specific places like moria or erebor must not be only in 1 tile (exactly on the settlement) but it must also cover a area arround the settlement, otherwise such climate will not load when an sieged army sally fort, giving weird results like green camps in front of moria. Do not change this, I've got weird effects in erebor by reducing the eare of the climate on it.
- Siege towers can take some time to properly dock the walls in Carn Dûm but they end up doing it well, give them some seconds.
-Ignore the error report in the log about east moria, its working well.
-The catwalks on the elven settlements are made to have space enough for archer units in huge size (150 men or so). Trolls can be on the catwalks and the results will be weird but there is actually nosense in putting them there and the AI does not use the catwalks anyway.
CHANGES IN DESCR_GEOGRAPHY_NEW.DB The descr_geography_new.db file used is the TATW 3.2 vanilla one and contain the following changes for this sub-mod. Some of these changes were described in the changelogs.
- Changed some rock textures in temperate_decidious_forest, temperate_coniferous_forest and unused2 climates (the original ones look like rotten cheese.)
- Set all vegetation in unused2 climate to 0, no trees or rocks, it was the only way to prevent rock appearing inside erebor after the addition of dale in its custom settlement. This climate is only used in mountain settlements though.
- Changed the grass testure in unused2 climate to a better looking one (the one seen in TATW 3.2 erebor was horrid)
- Set all vegetation (rocks and trees) in mordor climate to 0.
- Fixed bad AI functionality in all the temperate_decidious_forest climate. See here.
- Changes on Unused1 climate now set to load winter textures for battles even if it is summer (I copied the values of temperate_coniferious_forest winter and applied to both summer and winter of unused1).
PS: This new version of descr_geography_new.db dispenses the use of descr_geography_new.txt, this sub-mod installation will delete this .txt file and change the TATW.cfg file by deleting the rebuild_geography line.
ABOUT - YOU NEED THIRD AGE TOTAL WAR 3.2 ALREADY INSTALLED.
- INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS: SIMPLY EXTRACT THE FILES TO .../MEDIEVAL II TOTAL WAR/MODS/THIRD_AGE_3
- ATTENTION: AFTER INSTALLING IT, GO INTO SEGA\MEDIEVAL II TOTAL WAR\MODS\THIRD_AGE_3 AND RUN AUTODELETE.BAT.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
ITS NOT SAVEGAME COMPATIBLE.
NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY MOD THAT CHANGES THE STRAT MAP. (INCLUDING DAC AND MOS)
SOME FILES FROM VANILLA 3.2 WICH ARE NOW NOT USED ANYMORE WILL NOT BE DELETED, SO THEY WILL BE KEPT REDUNDANT/UNUSED IN THE FOLDERS.
ENJOY IT AND POST COOL IMAGES ON THE SCREENSHOTS THREAD!
CREDITS, CLARIFICATIONS AND PERMISSIONS
TEAM AND CONTRIBUTORS leo.civil.uefs: Settlement's models, textures,concepts, creation and implementation. Concepts of the new recruitment and settlement upgrade systems. Unit cards and unit info pictures. Creation and implementation of the siege engine special abilities. Music add on. General feature changes by text/scripting. Implementation of stuff from other mods. New siege towers and ram models and textures for dwarves and elves. New catapult model for dwarves. Dwarven catapult script idea. Changes in stramap. Everything else except what follows. Some small improvements on Jox25's dwarven units implemented.
Mank: Codes for the new recruitment and settlement upgrade systems and participation in its concepts.
FireFreak111: General guidance about all necessary procedures to create the mod and direct help in text or file editing. Sprites for the new warg mounts.
Devils_Advocate: Barad Dûr models and textures. Bree models and textures.
xHolyCrusader: Preview Video
Emperor of Hell: For helping with some strat map models and implementation, and also making the 1.0 installer.
makanyane for the ambient settlements disabling and for beeing my counselor, advisor, solution finder and spiritual mentor.
wilddog for IWTE and so much help in its use.
KingKong for necessary changes on earlier versions of esgaroth.
Stylix for giving me permission to use the interface 2d art from MOS.
Paradamed for his good will guiding me about animations.
Mesn for allowing me to use warg models and animations from Call of Warhammer
Lord Necromancer for making animations work for the new siege engines, as well as their UV maps. (Big thanks for your infinite patience, mate!)
Jox25 New dwarven unit models and textures .New textures for fpoe/arnor generic settlements and help in mounting the settlements. For fixing the THE ONE RING script.
Kiliç Alì for writting the dwarven catapult script
Arkay for mounting the new FPOE/ARNOR settlements.
Swagger for adding proper sounds for wargs, and new sounds for trebuchets.
Arandir Tur-Anion for some help in codes.
SilentHitman94 for The Watchers statues for cirith ungol.
ElvenKind for his good will, good will is always worth it, no matter what.
And thanks all the community for suggestions and testing the sub-mod.
PERMISSIONS AND CLARIFIATIONS
- If you want to use any content from this sub-mod in yours, then ask me for permission first.
- ATTENTION: Rivendell, Minas Morgul, The Black Gate, Dol Guldur, Edoras, Minas Tirith and Osgiliath were not settlements created by me. They are from the original 3.2 release, made by King Kong and Devils_Advocate. For these settlements, my sub-mod only contains bug fixes and changes. Generic gondorian castles and cities uses osgiliath textures and buildings, generic FPOE/ARNOR settlements uses Minas Tirith textures and buildings, these buildings and textures were originally made by King Kong.
- Everyone is free to use all the stuff made by me in another mods and sub-mods, but only to be published HERE IN THE FORUMS, and giving the credits correctly of course.
SUGGESTIONS FOR FUTURE CONTENT PRIMARY:
- Create new units based on the movies for the mirkwood elves, dale and OOG
- Umbar custom settlement.
- Pelargir custom settlement.
- Cair Andros custom settlement. (Or a fix for the 3.2 version one)
- Grey Havens custom settlement.
- Hability for ents and snow trolls to throw rocks (just a matter of animation, the javelin thrower one could be used).
- Maybe a new Avari elves faction on south of Orocarni.
- Making troll units elephants, like ents are, so preventing them climbing walls, ladders and siege towers.
- Making troll units capable of hiting gates and destroying them (RTW has such feature for elephants so it might be possible).
MY MODDING TUTORIALS While making this sub-mod I was able to write some tutorials that can be found in the following links:
IWTE - Custom settlements - Creating a working layout for your custom settlement.
IWTE - Custom settlements - Creating a generic custom settlement (easy step by step procedure)
How to create/implement a custom tile in your stramap.
How to use custom settlements from another mod in yours, both in campaign and custom battles. (Editing .worldpackage files)
Automatically testing your mod's campaign.