Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Content Staff interviews DotS! Get your questions in now!

Default Re: Content Staff interviews DotS! Get your questions in now!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Lancaster View Post
    I also hope they use units from the WOTW mod, I've just seen the English roster and it is outstanding.
    In WOTW preview they said they wouldn't be sharing any units before release =( , they did look supurb!

It was unclear whether they did or didn't get different (random colours+patterns) horse-trappers to work ingame, i've seen mods that have it in the unit card but never working ingame?

PIPA and SOPA are “the equivalent of being angry and trying to take action against Ford just because a Mustang was used in a bank robbery.” - Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian

One of the early claims made by the DotS team is that civil war will be re-instituted (or approximated) as it existed in the original Medieval: Total War. So what's the status of these plans for the upcoming release? Will mighty empires crumble under internal pressures as they used to in the bygone days of the original? How exactly will this take place?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomato_Sandwich View Post
    Yeh, when are we getting paid

And what was the final decision on crusades?
    Continuing on with this question, what is DOTS's stance on major scripted events? Events that really changed the course of history, in particular:

The sack of Constantinople during the 4th crusade.

The capture of Constantinople in 1453 by the Ottomans (still within the timeframe IIRC).

The BIG crusades (eg 1st) that ended in big land changes.

Mongol captures of key cities in the steppes/middle east.

When these events take place will the player be forced to take part? Will those scripted characters that were decided upon *just* appear to lead your armies? Will the AI armies be scripted to actually do useful things since mostly they just storm around the city they plan on taking, then when they take it they leave it garrisoned with 1 squad of spear militia!

Also at the end of the day, the thing that decided the fate of most factions in game was the capability of their leader(s). The rise and fall of nations is not something the AI (or player) can do. Will this be scripted too?

Hope this isn't too many questions too close to release!
    Last edited by mynameisowen; November 21, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
    Looking forward to Dominion of the Sword
    PSN ID: mynameisowen; add me if you play GT5 or Battlefield.

Hi, first let me express many thanks for this mod, it's awesome. My question is, will PFSs, occupied by enemy in my province, affect income or has any other effect in that province's city\castle? I am wondering if not, what is the meaning of addition of PSF if i can let enemies or rebels occupy them and just forget about that?
    There will be an income penalty for losing a PSF, but not for just allowing one to continue being held by neutral foreign troops (although they will quickly cause some serious devastation if you end up going to war). I'm looking into ways for this to cause disorder in the province capital.

You also earn income from placing family members in the PSF. One of your generals can take gold from up to three forts the way I have it set up right now, and you also get devastation money from occupying an enemy PSF.

I would like to know how the military religious orders are handled and in particular to Iberian peninsula factions and regions:
    • In general, how is recruitment made? Building or Crusade? Is regional recruitment included if the former?
    • Are Templars and Hospitallers available to Iberian factions in Iberia like it was historical?
    • Are Calatrava, Avis, Pereiro e Alcântra, Montesa, Cristo, Montegaudio e Trujillo, etc... represented in the mod?

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

Will the team represent the antipopes that were around during the timeframe? And if so, how?

Sorry, new here.. Probably a lot of people asks when the mod will be released and that kind of stuff, but i was not able to find any information about it

I'm pretty excited about the mod ! The Total War News of december made me anxious as hell ! Awesome piece of art !

So.. There is some release date or open test ?

Many thanks !

Miles

The new video is awesom"!!

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

The video is amazing!
    Last edited by Horatius Flaccus; December 05, 2011 at 07:17 PM.

so the psf gets names, dreams come true

Last edited by motyc; December 06, 2011 at 04:05 AM.

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

I've a question!
    I recall reading somewhere in the DotS forum that the Swedish faction leader in 1080 was married to a princess of Novgorod or somesuch, so I'm wondering: what will Swedish-Novgorod relations be at game start?

stratigos vasilios's Avatar Foederatus

Just watched the video. I don't mean to ask this question in a negative way, and I'll try my best to come across as positive as possible. Without doubt the team has done their research and can give me a perfect answer, but how come Athens/Athenai is not a city in the game? I imagine the video depicts the game in a 'work in progress setting', but I'm just curious as to why the city is not in the game. I'm guessing it wasn't big enough to warrant a city but eventually will warrant a psf?

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Quote Originally Posted by ErikBerg View Post
    I've a question!
    I recall reading somewhere in the DotS forum that the Swedish faction leader in 1080 was married to a princess of Novgorod or somesuch, so I'm wondering: what will Swedish-Novgorod relations be at game start?
    Not sure what the deal is with the interview anymore since TWN released without the interview. But it's a nice easy question so I'll answer here. Yeah basically Sweden will start with a decent relationship with Novgorod. As you know Sweden and Novgorod became bitter opponents, but at this point in history they had been intermixing for centuries and codependent in trade. The most popular academic theory about Inge Stenkilsson was that he was the same person as Anund Gårdske, which technically makes him Russian-born. So we are going to give the rulers some Orthodox religion traits despite them having excellent relations with the Pope, since the Rome sent a letter to Inge in 1080 urging him on to destroy the heathens in Svealand.
    Staraja Ladoga will actually be in Swedish hands at the start date, one of the few holdings for the faction in 1080 (starts only with Skara and Linköping) and being so far away does give some opportunity for maintaining or developing trade in Russia. Naturally, sooner or later that is going to make for a clash with Novgorod- so I suppose it is pretty historical.

Quote Originally Posted by stratigos vasilios View Post
    Just watched the video. I don't mean to ask this question in a negative way, and I'll try my best to come across as positive as possible. Without doubt the team has done their research and can give me a perfect answer, but how come Athens/Athenai is not a city in the game? I imagine the video depicts the game in a 'work in progress setting', but I'm just curious as to why the city is not in the game. I'm guessing it wasn't big enough to warrant a city but eventually will warrant a psf?
    I think Athens are planned as a village PSF if I am not mistaken. Athens were pretty much destroyed first in 9th century, then they rebuilt and then were destroyed again in 12th century by crusaders. Basically throughout our timeframe it was little more than "a pointless village around Acropolis". It has been just a little town ever since that up to 1832... So the question stands rather why we do see Athens in any game/mod set in the second millennium in the first place? Anyway, settlements are chosen as historical capitals of our historical regions. In case of Athens it was part of the Hellas theme* and it's historical capital by the mod start was Larissa (from about second part of 10th century).

*The decision to choose the thematic division despite its decline soon in 12th century was that there was no better option how to divide the region consistently.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

diez's Avatar Biarchus

my question is,if it will be somehow possible to use navy in rivers?

Quote Originally Posted by diez View Post
    my question is,if it will be somehow possible to use navy in rivers?
    My analysis of the problems and why it is not worth it. It is only viable if the river is wide enough to avoid clogging which is reasonable only for maps of much lower scale than DotS like in the 30-years-word mod (not sure if there is a sub-forum or newer thread, I think there is but I cannot find it atm).

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

stratigos vasilios's Avatar Foederatus

Thanks Resurrection, I never knew that. You learn something new everyday here!

Its a shame about the timing for the English family tree and characters! the English tree is currently being redone (i'm only taking a short break i promise) and will be about 10 times the size of the one shown in that video. so don't worry it will be a lot more impressive. lots more historic named generals as well who will have children and dynasties which can become more or less powerful depending on what happens. England will be a lot more interesting than it looked there. and just wait until you see the HRE's......
    Veni Vidi Velcro

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by stratigos vasilios View Post
    I did quite a bit of the research on PSFs and settlements, especially for the ERE, and Athens in the eleventh and twelfth centuries really wasn't important enough to warrant a settlement- it was just a small village huddled around its acropolis. I think it's represented as a port.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast