Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: CA: What we're up to update (Q&A thread)

Default Re: CA: What we're up to update (Q&A thread)

Q1: How complicated is the coding regarding the reinforcement system in Shogun 2? I'm sure you had a reason to do it this way, rather than the multiple-stack armies in Rome and Medieval II, and I'm guessing it's from a controllability standpoint; sometimes, trying to command those huge, multi-stack armies was aggravating. However, for those of us who don't mind being annoyed by the control system because we want to ensure that if we bring 3 full stack armies, all 3 of them will be able to engage at once, could you make it an option? Of course, if the coding is too complex or is integrated with other battle mechanics or the functionality of the AI, I'm not asking you to do anything super difficult. But if it would be relatively easy, I'd like to see a change in the way reinforcement works.

Q2: I don't care about more modding tools for Shogun 2 specifically, as I bought the game to play in the Sengoku Jidai and I don't want to see a Lord of the Rings mod made from it, but I do wonder if we'll be able to adjust the number of provinces in the map. While 62 is a good number at first, it seems like some provinces are just too large and conquering them in succession is not too difficult, unless the AI responds strategically. Going along with that, the ability to define which provinces have certain trade goods and benefits could perhaps lead to a greater degree of historical accuracy, as mods have done for previous titles.

Thanks. I hope your wife recovers quickly and I commend you for helping her out.

Hi Craig,

Best regards to your sweetie for a speedy recovery.

On Total War titles, I am still perplexed as to why CA switched from a Risk style format campaign to the “Civilization” one we have today. The former, in my opinion, was the better game.

As this decision has impacted the series in many and most significant ways, was there ever a debate about its adoption?

If so, are there any surviving CA members who could share their thoughts?
    brandybarrel's BattleAxe and Unit Guide Links:

TotalWarker's Avatar Ordinarius

Hope your mrs improves swiftly Craig, nasty injury that

The monk and ashigaru yari spam in the MP is a problem for 2 months now.

How many times do you need to fix it???

A patch should have been released for a long time now...

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I suppose my questions, as pointless as it will be is:

1. Will sieges be better and more realistic, where proper real-world tactics can be used,at least to MTW2 levels?

2. Will CAI and army AI be improved so as to include character-driven battles? Actual character traits affect how AI fights? Not just added extra stars.

3. Will there be a uniform editor for offline SP and the ability to change unit names?

4. Will diplomacy be enhanced without taking away something else. Will we finally get a diplomacy where ANYTHING is tradeable, as in historical reality.

5. Blood. Will you guys have actual blood in these games (like MTW2). What is your problem with blood, is it really just to get more gamers, or are you guys just sqeamish? Which would be weird for a game based on constant violence.

Craig

When WarRoom will open for register? its down for year...
    Its easy to make war with others, its never been easy when we need a peace.

My holy damn simple tactic; Strike First, Strike HARD and SHOW NO MERCY.

wolfbane751's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by brandybarrel View Post
    Hi Craig,

Best regards to your sweetie for a speedy recovery.

On Total War titles, I am still perplexed as to why CA switched from a Risk style format campaign to the “Civilization” one we have today. The former, in my opinion, was the better game.

As this decision has impacted the series in many and most significant ways, was there ever a debate about its adoption?

If so, are there any surviving CA members who could share their thoughts?
    yeah the risk style campaign map was really nice especially in medieval total war and im sure its better on performance for your machine and everytime you fight a battle it could be just a randomly generated map each time? so you dont get the same map like 2 or 3 times in a row i think that would be cool

No. Random maps would make Campaign strategic planning impossible. I actually prefered the map if it looked the same in a single repeat area, but only looked different by weather and direction you came from. The land should not change much at all in a regular spot.

The real trick is to make the campaign map fine enough that you will always stop in a slightly different looking part of the map therefore making each battlemap appears different. But not so different that you cannot plan an attack or defence from the Campaign map. I think this is what they wanted to do with Empire, but it got too confused, but have managed it in Shogun 2 apart from the sieges.

They also managed this in RTW and MTW2. After a while you recognised familiar battle maps from differnet angles which is how it should be. The earth does not change much in a hundred years.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Europe is roughly 5 000 000 km˛

If we consider a battlefield to be 20 km x 20 km, it means you can have 12 500 different battle location in Europe.

Hello :

1 are you thinking on balancing some of the multiplayer problems like monk spams and especially the renaming of units that some guys are using this trick to mislead players and get advantages?

2 woudl be possible to have an editor to be able to create new custom map battlefields?

3 woudl be possible to open more the modding front so that we could be able to modify meshes textures and add new content to the game?

4 woudl be possible to have a new expansion set in Korea with the new factions of Ming china Korea and Mongols?

5 Shogun 2 is such an awesome game compared to old ones that deserves a lot more befoure moving on the next TW game do you agree?

6 will there be any sponsorized by CA competition for modding or the like?

7 Some bugs need to be fixed but I guess you already been told that 1000 times...

Hope in fast recover for that unfortunate accident :o ...

you have mail I sent u a while back
    ^^ ...

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Dominicvs's Avatar Biarchus

Can we have the smallest and most useless hint for the next TW game?

Indefinitely Banned

Y U NO POST UPDATE THIS WEEK?

Another problem present since March in MP battles and still not resolved...

Retarded noobs/cheaters hidding the level of their veterans:

It will be fixed in the next patch or not?

Another problem: Some clans cheat by playing a lot of siege battle between them the night to win points, so they often meet their friends, concede victory and win points extremly rapidly.
    A battle between players of the same clan should not give points for the map.

And my last question, do you believe that the MP competition in Shogun 2 killed the spirit of the TW series?
    Because there are no fun battles anymore like the MP battles of the previous TW, and the competition is just cheat, spam of cheated units (monks, loan sword, monk sequel and ashigaru yari...), victory by any means...
    What do you think about it?
    Last edited by Maréchal Lannes; November 17, 2011 at 04:16 PM.

DUKE OF CAXIAS's Avatar Civis

Regarding the modability of Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2. Can we add new naval models or that possibility are hardcoded ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maréchal Lannes View Post

Another problem: Some clans cheat by playing a lot of siege battle between them the night to win points, so they often meet their friends, concede victory and win points extremly rapidly.
    A battle between players of the same clan should not give points for the map.

?
    I don`t do multiplayer STW2, but have in other games and this is a common thing. I like the way you ask `will it be fixed?` Like it`s dead simple. But something like this is not really fixable in my humble opinion.

How do you stop people who know eachother from simply playing to win all night until they get to high level? It`s pretty much the same as trying to stop rage quitters, swearers and racists all of which I come across in BC2 (boy some of those guys get creative in their insults these days- sad).

Some kids will do anything to `win` and it all can`t be possibly stopped without hurting the genuine player.

Its very easy to fix , you have a script looking for stat padding as its called , same ips on same day with lots of matches that last only 1 minute ? Instant kick from the ladders... problem solved

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Maréchal Lannes View Post
    Retarded noobs/cheaters hidding the level of their veterans
    The unit info card has the number of upgrades on it
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

What I don't understand is why set up a Q&A thread and then not answer any questions. You did it before and it happened again. Many people here have a lot of questions to which they have been waiting for answers for a long time, 2-3 years. Yet CA still refuse to answer them. So please, if you are going to have a Q&A thread then please put more A's to the many Q's. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_the_Great View Post
    Y U NO POST UPDATE THIS WEEK?

Read the OP again, Craig is on vacation

@King
    Same to u, Craig said he will check and try to answer some of the questions AFTER He returns to duty.
    Atm its just gathering them nothing more...

Quote Originally Posted by Pesticide View Post
    Its very easy to fix , you have a script looking for stat padding as its called , same ips on same day with lots of matches that last only 1 minute ? Instant kick from the ladders... problem solved
    Really? It`s that easy? You`re saying no genuine battle in MP has ever lasted 1 minute? Maybe you`re right.

Quote Originally Posted by KingIzzystero View Post
    What I don't understand is why set up a Q&A thread and then not answer any questions. You did it before and it happened again. Many people here have a lot of questions to which they have been waiting for answers for a long time, 2-3 years. Yet CA still refuse to answer them. So please, if you are going to have a Q&A thread then please put more A's to the many Q's. Thank you.
    Agreed. Noticed it. Just feels like they throw a ball in the cage to keep the kids occupied.

But perhaps they`re just waiting for a big pile of questions first.
    Last edited by Humble Warrior; November 18, 2011 at 04:39 AM.