Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: CA: What we're up to update (Q&A thread)

Default Re: CA: What we're up to update (Q&A thread)

Content wise I think Sega have done a fantastic job of supporting Shogun 2. The vanilla game has been extended wonderfully in both single player and multiplayer.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I agree, I really do. It's almost as good as M2TW now.

Almost.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

No one thought that did not make great game. I think they did a fantastic game , but after so many series to do so the same mistakes I did not expect this.

the game mechanics and grapichs are fantastic !

but the game location...cmon the majority of total war game wanted and still want an Rome 2 not some boring japanese remake !I truly respect the japanese culture,but for an european an strategy game based on it,is preety boring ,and that s the truth.

Rome 2 ,HEIL THE ROMAN EMPIRE

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Eh, there's only so many times we can have a game in Europe before It gets boring.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoBo1 View Post
    Content wise I think Sega have done a fantastic job of supporting Shogun 2. The vanilla game has been extended wonderfully in both single player and multiplayer.
    Too bad the game is now broken, with archers sounding like a bloody artillery battery :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Andreius Pretorianus View Post

but the game location...cmon the majority of total war game wanted and still want an Rome 2 not some boring japanese remake !I truly respect the japanese culture,but for an european an strategy game based on it,is preety boring ,and that s the truth.

I don't see the problem with the game location. It looks like a colorful Akira Kurosawa movie filled with beautiful woodprints and music. It feels like an alien planet compared to Europe and America focused games. To be honest, I think it's probably the best game ever made to be focused on a historical Japan. Actual Japanese games for the most part aren't very good imo. Well, I mean, I don't think they are bad. They are just usually nothing like what Shogun 2 has done.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Wish they would make their games truly moddable again, its a joke modding S2TW. The community has to rely on community tools to unpack the game which is a joke and needs to be updated with every patch. There have been some down times where we didn't even have a simple unpacker/pack file reader because the guys who made the tools everybody was using disappeared.

Yeah sure TED is a step in the right direction but give us the tools we had in M2TW where we had a proper mod system and could edit and create campaign maps. There is a reason the medieval forums is much more active. The shogun forums is like a graveyard with the same 3 idiots spamming them.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

CA have never released mod tools.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Your wrong, and yes medieval 2 did have tools. There is a folder called tools which contains an unpacker which is a tool. Medieval 2 also has a battle editor and a campaign map generator which both could be consider tools. So I don't know where you get off saying CA has never released a tool.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

To be honest, I think it's probably the best game ever made to be focused on a historical Japan. .
    You mean the best fantasy game focused on historical Japan.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreius Pretorianus View Post

Truth is such a funny thing, is it not? I love how there can only ever be but one truth, and yet no one can ever agree on which one.

I, for one, have loved this break from Europe. I had a lovely time in Japan. I do agree that it is time to come back home, or at least go somewhere other than Japan, but I would not say my time there was "Preety boring."
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Beside, since I'm not interested in Rome a lot more than in Japan, I want, I demand that CA makes NTW2 with full modding tools (and fully compatible with my current mod of course, I don't want to remake everything).
    Since it's my main interest by far, it is obvious than no one else is entitled to like Shogun or make any request for Rome.

Of course, the above text can be considered slightly ironic.

But seriously, I'd like to get some info from CA about support for older games and older fans...

Like a visit in the thread they started "ask CA for help with db and XML modding". We still have a lot of questions with no answer. And we haven't seen the shadow of a CA guy there for months now.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    You mean the best fantasy game focused on historical Japan.
    All Total War games have unrealistic fantasy elements. Alot of what you see is also based on historical fact. If any Total War game was a realistic simulator, you would have 6 hour battles with unit sizes about 20 times what they are now on a miles wide battlefield. Guns would be so powerful that you would end up with less than a 100 dead and 20, 000 dead on the opposing side. In the end you would probably wind up with a less fun, deeply unbalanced game (much worse than whatever people complain about now). Still, it's more historically accurate and in tune with reality than anything I can think of Japan has put out based on the setting. I don't really play many Japanese games so if I am wrong in that regard feel free to set me straight.
    Last edited by MrBoBo1; May 29, 2012 at 09:22 AM.

All Total War games have unrealistic fantasy elements. Alot of what you see is also based on historical fact. If any Total War game was a realistic simulator, you would have 6 hour battles with unit sizes about 20 times what they are now on a miles wide battlefield. Guns would be so powerful that you would end up with less than a 100 dead and 20, 000 dead on the opposing side. In the end you would probably wind up with a less fun, deeply unbalanced game (much worse than whatever people complain about now). Still, it's more historically accurate and in tune with reality than anything I can think of Japan has put out based on the setting. I don't really play many Japanese games so if I am wrong in that regard feel free to set me straight.

My point is there are games that are about historical Japan and do it better (as in more realistic to the history and mechanics of the warfare and strategy and even tactics).

Historical accuracy does not equal an imbalanced game. I believe it's been said before that history itself is perfectly balanced. The developers simply need to think of an interesting way to show this balance. Sure, a game can't be a "completely accurate simulation of historical events," if only for the reason that even we are not exactly sure what happened in most cases.

I think when people say they want the game to be accurate, they simply want it to be logically thought out. No one can tell you exactly what happened thousands of years ago, and historians face this problem when they do research on ancient events. In order to compensate for this, people have to make intelligent guesses on what happened based on the events.

This is the difference between a mature game and an immature game. A game that has a good amount of work put into it makes sure that everything is logical. Games that don't have enough thought put into them don't make sense and people complain about "realism." By and large, the more thought that goes into producing the product, the better the product is. When I say I want Rome 2 to be "realistic," all I mean is that I want it to be well thought out.

Another point here is that the closer the games reflect reality, the more thought must go into them (in terms of research and logical guesses) and the better the game is. This is simply a "reflection," however, and of course the game must be enjoyable and balanced, but taking an innovative and new approach to the old ideas of "fun," and "balance," will keep the series fresh and exciting in the years to come. One fundamental problem with Total War is the inability of the studio to stray very far from their fundamental model of gameplay. This might not be noticed by younger players, but once you have played a couple TW games, you notice some repetition that raises the question "how different is this game, really, from the one I played a couple years ago?"
    Last edited by HappyGoodVibes; May 29, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
    War is peace.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyGoodVibes View Post
    Historical accuracy does not equal an imbalanced game. I believe it's been said before that history itself is perfectly balanced.
    I'm not sure what this is suppose to mean but it seems to me history is supreamly unbalanced. It doesn't work like Starcraft with pro's and con's being evenly ironed out for a fair fight like a game of chess. Having balanced gameplay creates a imbalanced history and likewise having a balanced history would create an imbalanced Total War. Total War walks a tightrope but is primarily a mainstream enterainment product not a simulator. The more it leans towards being a simulator the more unbalanced (as in an even playing field) the gameplay will become.

The developers simply need to think of an interesting way to show this balance. Sure, a game can't be a "completely accurate simulation of historical events," if only for the reason that even we are not exactly sure what happened in most cases.
    IMO the developers deliberately limit the unit size of powerful units, the price and range and training facilities for the sake of game balance, not historical accuracy because it is (representing or not) an entertainment product. An illusion given through the games mechanics. Outright historicallly correct game balance would not necessarily compliment the video games mechanical balance as an entertainment product and so it borrows liberally when appropriate and likewise removes when appropriate. I feel it's partly what marks Total War from other, boring, sterile titles and really, part of it's success.

Another point here is that the closer the games reflect reality, the more thought must go into them
    Which doesn't automatically equal fun. Most flight simulators and games like Arma 2 add a "speed up time" mechanic and auto-navigation mechanic because flying or running for 20 minutes straight isn't entertaining for alot of people. Making a game over-complicated as well can limit the audience effecting sales.

and the better the game is.
    Subjective, totally disagree.

One fundamental problem with Total War is the inability of the studio to stray very far from their fundamental model of gameplay. This might not be noticed by younger players, but once you have played a couple TW games, you notice some repetition that raises the question "how different is this game, really, from the one I played a couple years ago?"
    They sort of did with Empire and a lot of people hated it for the scale, gun units boats (as well as the bugs). Likewise with Shogun 2 they took a step back and stripped it and streamlined it adding RPG style progression. Alot of people hated it. The multiplayer part of Shogun 2 is like a game of battlecards with Warcraft III style hero units. Alot of people hated it. I'd say that portion was a fairly huge leap for Total War that has generally always had, so-so multiplayer outside of mods.

Within the game mechanics, they have added and changes alot imo outside of totally changing the game to something else altogether. Maybe they should make a console focused first person shooter?

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

CA what are you up to god damn it!

Will total war be at E3?

Keep it on topic, guys. Thanks.

Isnip:
    I could refute just about every single point you`ve made here, but can`t be bothered since you won`t accept being wrong anyway. I`ll just sum it up into one sentence: Everything you`ve said here is purely subjective to what you assume is fun for you, regardless of the fact that fun has many different colours.