Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: CA: What we're up to update (Q&A thread)

CraigTW's Avatar Ducenarius

CA Developer Icon CA: What we're up to update (Q&A thread)

Hi guys,

I have to start this week's update with a bit of an apology. You won't have seen me round much for the past week, which I'm very sorry about. My other half had an unfortunate slip on her way to work last week and badly broke her leg. She's just had surgery (everything went well), so I've been on hand helping her get around. Because of that, I haven't been in the office this week (hence the lack of 'proper' update).

Next week I'm off on vacation, so I'm afraid it's a bit of a barren time in terms of updates from me. However, rest assured, if any major news breaks at CA one of my colleagues will no doubt let you know about it.

So, in lieu of exciting gossip from CA, I thought we could use this opportunity to let you ask some of the designers, producers and key figures from CA some questions. Feel free to fire whatever you like at us, and the team will strive to answer them on my return.

There's no guarantee we'll answer every question (the meaning of life is always a toughie), but we'll do our best! If you have a question for a specific person or department, please mark your question as such and I'll try to pass them on to the right people.

Thanks very much for the patience. I've really missed reading some of the forum threads this week, so I'll be sure to catch up when I'm back in the office.

Have a great couple of weeks!

Craig.
    Last edited by CraigTW; November 09, 2011 at 12:04 PM.

Default Re: CA: What we're up to update (Q&A thread)

I'm sorry to hear about the break. Them things can really hurt. I hope she's okay and her path to recovery is as painless as possible.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Sucks about the incident, but hey you have a vacation, and hopefully your other has a vacation that way you can take a trip and forget about the incident.
    Q: Will there be any TW games released in 2012?

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

Q : Will the graphics keep improving or are we at a standstill with the hefty Shogun. I don't want to have to buy a super-computer for every TW game.

Q : Still steam-only?

EDIT ; oh and, Craig, check out some of those corny compensation adds on TV for your other half.
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

Question: Can you make an update about the modding situation ? Because since S2 was released we haven't seen anything about that aspect (no offense). Thanks
    When you have posted this thread (June 2011) you said that you were planning what you will do about S2 modding. Four months have passed. So ?
    Last edited by Nelduin; November 09, 2011 at 01:02 PM.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Tiro

Sorry to hear that Craig, I hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

I have a question:

It has recently been discovered that the banzai special ability is not functioning as it should, is there any way you guys can fix that and maybe even improve it a bit since it's kind of limp wristed as it is when compared to stealth or hold-firm. I mean these blokes are frenzied and violent they should be beast while in banzai.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ghts-on-Banzai

Can you start giving us updates on your wifes condition, since we havent gotten a decent Shogun related update in 3 or 4 weeks?
    The Canadian Corps: Mount Sorrel, 2nd Ypres, Vimy, Arleux, Hill 70, Passchendaele, Amiens, Hindenburg Line, Canal du Nord, Mons.

Quote Originally Posted by Grythius Avalorius View Post
    Can you start giving us updates on your wifes condition, since we havent gotten a decent Shogun related update in 3 or 4 weeks?
    As I've said in previous updates, there hasn't been much to talk about recently... but I'm sure that'll pick up soon

Recently we've been trying to take on board your poll responses, which I think is something that has quite a bit of value. It's either that or I start making stuff up, which I'm sure you won't appreciate. Previously these updates didn't exist at all, so we're doing our best to bring the latest info to you...

We are working on stuff, but we're unable to announce any of it yet. I'm sure you can appreciate the quandary of that!
    Last edited by CraigTW; November 09, 2011 at 01:05 PM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Q: Will it be Rome 2 Total war?

Q2 And more important: Will you make the campaign map a little more modable?

And please, not an answer like "We keep all options on the table" or something. A "Yes!" would do.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Q: Will it be Rome 2 Total war? And please, not an answer like "We keep all options on the table" or something. A "Yes!" would do.
    I can tell you now I won't be able to answer that one! Sorry. When we have something to say about our next game you guys will hear about it, don't worry.

Moderator Emeritus

Q2 And more important: Will you make the campaign map a little more modable?

And please, not an answer like "We keep all options on the table" or something. A "Yes!" would do.
    On that?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

On that?
    I will get back to you on that one. What I can tell you is that there are a number of people who are definitely pushing on the modding front... myself included! Campaign map is a tricky one as pathfinding data is baked into it. But we're thinking about that stuff.
    Last edited by CraigTW; November 09, 2011 at 01:21 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Cool. I prefer "We take an interest but no promises" to "It will have X" and then not have it.
    +rep

and a speedy recovery to your significant other.

Hope your other half is alright!

Now for a question:

Do you know why ETW and NTW have had downloads of 322 MB and 512 MB respectively?

Simply put, is it a) steam glitch or b) suprise update ( )
    Last edited by ccgr1121; November 09, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Traditionalist Catholic and Proud! And no, I'm not a paedophile, fool.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The only reason I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition was because...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!

Snappera's Avatar Foederatus

I wish a quick recovery for your other half.

Question: Is there going to be any more large DLC like Rise of the Samurai?

Q: The power in the total war games is the great offer of much unique units. Tough there where less units (22 or something?) on the last tw game; Shogun2. Can we expect more different units in the next total war game?

Q: Are you guys actually working on the next ''big'' project or are you still thinking about DLC's?

Anyways, i really enjoyed Shogun 2 and the dlc so i wont say no to another DLC (:

And hope evrything with your girl is ok

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

@Craig.
    Sorry to hear about your other half. Glad she`s ok. Good man for spending time out helping her too.

Quote Originally Posted by Diglytron View Post
    Q: Are you guys actually working on the next ''big'' project or are you still thinking about DLC's?
    Im sure that the whole Total War team does not work on DLCs, so I bet CA has been working on their next "big" project since before Shogun 2 was released.

Q: I want to ask if you guys will still be using Warscape on the next game, even though I dont think I will get a reply.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

@TWCraig:

Forget about us for a few weeks, Craig. My guess is we'll still be here when you get back!

Magefsx's Avatar Campidoctor

Can we anticipate significant changes to seige mechanics (in the next game, or soon even as an update for this one), such as the return of seige towers/ladders and their active use? Not being able to knock down a tower full of fellows in the last three releases titles has made me . And do you think you'll ever add an "Oldschool mode" back, and by that I mean have a little checkbox that brings darthmod like mechanics (such as slower, better paced battles) to the game. I don't think it can be that hard to impliment, simply having a set array of values available to change to in the tables that control unit stats?

Oh, and finally, are we ever going to see the return of generic animations, such as those seen in M2TW and RTW, or are we going to be seeing motion captured for a while now (it'd be nice to have best of both of course, but that'd probably be resource costly)
    Thanks!

Best wishes to the madam, and enjoy the hols
    Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    @TWCraig:

Forget about us for a few weeks, Craig. My guess is we'll still be here when you get back!

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast