Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: CA: What we're up to update (Q&A thread)

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: CA: What we're up to update (Q&A thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Maréchal Lannes View Post
    Another problem present since March in MP battles and still not resolved...

Retarded noobs/cheaters hidding the level of their veterans:

It will be fixed in the next patch or not?

Another problem: Some clans cheat by playing a lot of siege battle between them the night to win points, so they often meet their friends, concede victory and win points extremly rapidly.
    A battle between players of the same clan should not give points for the map.
    It will be fixed in the next patch or not?
    You obviously don't understand how the ranking system works. It's based on the Elo system, which means if you lose a battle you lose an amount of skill points relative to your opponents rank, and he will gain points relative to your rank. What you talk of would result in virtually no movement up the leaderboards at all for those players who are playing in confinement. Unless you are talking about veteran points then I don't see where the real issue is.

And my last question, do you believe that the MP competition in Shogun 2 killed the spirit of the TW series?
    Because there are no fun battles anymore like the MP battles of the previous TW, and the competition is just cheat, spam of cheated units (monks, loan sword, monk sequel and ashigaru yari...), victory by any means...
    What do you think about it?
    Opposed to...having a Rome Total War esque Multiplayer which is full of badmouthing, trolling and game crashes and also not to mention the absolutley horrid unit balancing? or what about the ETW/NTW multiplayer which has virtually no soul at all, no central communication base, a non-existence compared to it's campaign pretty much. The multiplayer in Shogun 2 is a major leap forward fort the TW series. It needs tweaks and improvements, but it's going in the right direction, and so far, it has not affected the standard of singleplayer, so I can't see us complaining about 'dead spirit'.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan MF View Post
    You obviously don't understand how the ranking system works. It's based on the Elo system, which means if you lose a battle you lose an amount of skill points relative to your opponents rank, and he will gain points relative to your rank. What you talk of would result in virtually no movement up the leaderboards at all for those players who are playing in confinement. Unless you are talking about veteran points then I don't see where the point is
    Well I guess the point is they win clan influence points for the avatarmap w/o suffering ladder penalty b/c sieges arent counted as ladder games, so win or losses doesn't count for ranking.
    Simple way to exploit the Clan competition, thats why its so boring atm.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by AlfonsoVIII View Post
    the reason they do not release mod tools is that its hard to make a tool to do what we want it to do. also there internal tools have never been released and they would have to make something special for us. Did they ever promise mod tools for empire?
    Yes they would have to make something special for us. Just as Tripwire is making something special for for its customers. Yes it may be hard. But why would one very small company decide that it's important enough to surmount obstacles and another much larger company decide it wasn't worth it?

What is CA's long term value proposition to its customers anyway? I'm seeing too many companies developing and releasing SDKs for for their games for the CA status quo to remain acceptable without much more explanation.

Also please forgive me for getting annoyed and assuming that people are playing dumb when they question whether mod tools were promised. Obviously they were promised. Have a look around, oh you know, places like the developer's own blog:

http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2009/...odding-system/

Happy Thanksgiving,

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

From the link you provided

So… hopefully you’ll now have a good idea of how the modding system was architected, and how you should build tools to work with it. There’s also another interesting consequence of how the system works, which is that it opens the door for mods built on top of other mods…
    Noticed the you, not the we?

It explains the system of packs, so if modders want to create tools they know what is the structure in place. It doesn't promise that CA would make a tool.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    From the link you provided

Noticed the you, not the we?

It explains the system of packs, so if modders want to create tools they know what is the structure in place. It doesn't promise that CA would make a tool.
    One more thing to keep in mind is that we’ve not yet finished testing the mod support fully – that’s part of what’s happening here before the mod dev package gets released.
    mod development package = mod tools or we are having a silly discussion about semantics

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Yes they would have to make something special for us. Just as Tripwire is making something special for for its customers. Yes it may be hard. But why would one very small company decide that it's important enough to surmount obstacles and another much larger company decide it wasn't worth it?
    Small company will do much² more as they certainly doesn't have the intention to stay small forever.

What is CA's long term value proposition to its customers anyway? I'm seeing too many companies developing and releasing SDKs for for their games for the CA status quo to remain acceptable without much more explanation.,
    From what I know (and I maybe wrong) that the games that is released with mods tools are mostly RPG and FPS where there are probably many many other similiar type of games/rivals. SDK/tools are one bonus against competitors.

For good or bad CA don't have one.
    Also please forgive me for getting annoyed and assuming that people are playing dumb when they question whether mod tools were promised. Obviously they were promised. Have a look around, oh you know, places like the developer's own blog:

http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2009/...odding-system/

Happy Thanksgiving,
    I think they already posted why they didn't released the tools eventhough they said they would.

All the great mods of TW were created without any official tools (except M2TW unpacker).

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

I have a question ,although i own Shogun 2 i have never actually played yet a coop campaign, i want to know if in the multiplayer campaing we will be able to play a battle against the ai and not be forced to face its other in every single battle like in Napoleon total war
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

Hi coop campaign is awesome , and yes in coop you can play against AI and even better you CAN during the battle select some of your units and give control of it to your friend.

2 question regarding ikko ikki :

How should look the ikko ikki ashigaru in mp coop and single player cause I may have a bug as my Yari ashigaru look like the ones of the other clans.

Is there a bug not letting u recruit hero ikko ikki monk in mp coop campaign ? I can use them in custom battle but not in the campaign coop even if I have all the requierement?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    Because they don't want us creating major expansions or total conversions.
    The Great War is a mod people in CA are anticipating to play. It's not that they don't want us to create major expansions/conversions, it's that it's too time-heavy to give us tools to do it.

the reason they do not release mod tools is that its hard to make a tool to do what we want it to do. also there internal tools have never been released and they would have to make something special for us.
    According to Craig, when he asked their mappers if they could do a small map of 2 provinces (like spain/Portugal) to give to our mapping research members... they said it's "weeks of work". Even if that was an exaggeration, their internal tools seem crappy.
    If they had people spending 1 month to develop tools that would take a dedicated modder 4 weeks to make little changes, do you think anyone would be happy? I don't think anyone would be satisfied, and some people would have spent 1 month.

Did they ever promise mod tools for empire?
    Not really. They just said it would be very modable. They had promised unit editor for NTW but they couldn't deliver.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Patrician Artifex

Define unit editor.

We have PFM, where we can modify the variants of a unit, and change the base RGB.

With that we can already create our own uniform.

Why should they waste time and money to do an editor for something which is already possible?

A campaign map editor, on the other hand...

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

Thank you for your answer, so if i create a lan campaign with a friend of mine, i can play a battle against the ai and i can give some units to my friend to command!? WOW thats awesome ,if thats true tommorow iam buying a second copy of shogun.
    2nd question, can i play a lan campaign without an internet connection, as far as i can tell, thats not possible when dissconect my internet then icannot host a lan campaign
    Thanks in advance
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Define unit editor.

We have PFM, where we can modify the variants of a unit, and change the base RGB.

With that we can already create our own uniform.

Why should they waste time and money to do an editor for something which is already possible?

A campaign map editor, on the other hand...
    The unit editor in question was a promised FEATURE of NTW that would let you create custom uniforms/armies from the main game, focusing on the Napoleonic eras great variety and pageantry of colours. This never came to pass, but a dumbed-down version was given ala the Avatar system of S2TW..

Yes, some of you can do this already thru modding, but the feature was supposed to make it so ANYONE could do this from game itself, and not by editing the files.
    The Canadian Corps: Mount Sorrel, 2nd Ypres, Vimy, Arleux, Hill 70, Passchendaele, Amiens, Hindenburg Line, Canal du Nord, Mons.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Grythius Avalorius View Post
    The unit editor in question was a promised FEATURE of NTW that would let you create custom uniforms/armies from the main game, focusing on the Napoleonic eras great variety and pageantry of colours. This never came to pass, but a dumbed-down version was given ala the Avatar system of S2TW..

Yes, some of you can do this already thru modding, but the feature was supposed to make it so ANYONE could do this from game itself, and not by editing the files.
    This is correct and we got the closest thing to an `apology` from Craig. They know they did wrong and I go so far as to say they misled us since they made the claim of this on the run up to NTW`s release (I almost bought NTW because of their `promise`).

They never said it was aborted until AFTER release and even then they just let people hang on for a while.

Y`see, with the best will in the world, you sometimes just have to see things as they are without the rosey spectacles and what CA did was not cricket. Giving people a half-assed version in STW2 that Offliners cannot use is also not cricket.

But it`s done, however, it`s not forgotten, just in case they try it on again.
    Last edited by Humble Warrior; November 24, 2011 at 07:18 PM.

Can we have an answer on a terrain editor for custom maps please? We really woudl need something like that to make new maps for MP , the actual ones are becoming boring ...

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Question: What is the current state of fixing the desync issues associated with co-op campaign. My friend and I are unable to play even one battle without a desync. We are literally stuck on turn 2.

avion365's Avatar Campidoctor

Q; are we still allowed to ask questions or is that time up?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    quote of all time
    Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    I am sorry I was wrong.

Youtube
    Justin Bieber: God sent me to make music
    Disturbed: No we didn't

Q: Are you going to reply to our questions (ALL of them)?

Hi I m sorry I never played it in Lan. Did you try it ? It sounds strange that you cannot play in Lan without being online.

CraigTW's Avatar Ducenarius

I'm back! I see I missed a nice, healthy discussion in the thread. I for one am very happy at the fact that you guys keep us on our toes. I wouldn't want it any other way. If we ever lost touch with you and your wants and needs it would be a crying shame.

I'll catch up with divvying the questions out this week and will get you guys some answers back soon. Hope you're all feeling chipper today - I'm hoping we'll have some cool Total War news for you very soon

Patrician Artifex

As long as these cool news don't cool our expectations down.