Thread: Waking the Dragon

Timur Amir's Avatar Centenarius

Default Waking the Dragon

We do not Sparkle! Puff the Magic Dragon Waking the Dragon

Clouds gather over Castle Dracule, as lightning slices through the dark sky. Rain comes down hard like a bombardment of the gods, and the wind tears at the limbs of the shaking trees. Inside the dark and gloomy castle of Dracule, things only get worse; there is a terrifying sense of doom and foreboding, combined with a strong sense of decay, though not of the building itself, which was a looming structure of grim stone. Deep withing the bowels of this house of death, there is a meeting of grave men around a stone table, with the sputtering of torches making the only sound. Seated there are three men, one clad in shining white armor, one with wild hair nestling a spined crown, and one in average leather garments and a smiling expression.
    Vaclav, the Heir of the Dragon: "Leszek, would you stop smiling? Seriously, I'm a little creeped out at this point..."
    Vlad, the Dragonlord: "He's just smiling, it's not like joy ever hurt anyone."
    Leszek Dracule: "It's okay, father, I'll explain; I'm just so happy to be home! In all my time in Vallach, everything is so busy, so uptight, so bussiness-like. But here, everything's laid back as I remember; the warm stone, the soothing wind, my old laboratory. Oh, those were the days...by, the way, did you keep any of my old things, dad?"
    Vaclav: "I took the liberty of cleaning out a few rooms, brother; we can't have your abominations sitting in the guest room."
    Leszek: "They aren't abominations, how many times must I tell you?! They are guests, and should be treated as such."
    Vaclav: "And who invited them, exactly? And why are they, how shall I put it, modified?! There is nothing right about this, Leszek, I'm telling you!"
    Leszek: "Zophia invited them, they're suitors! They volunteered to assist with my science to help win her love, and that's what they've done."
    Vaclav: "That isn't science! Why don't you go play with gunpowder or something useful for a change?! This is a horrendous slaughtering of all human decency, I'-"
    Vlad: "Vaclav, give it a rest. Leszek at least has a healthier set of hobbies than you do."
    Vaclav: "Dad, hawking is not unhealthy! Anyways, didn't you praise my artistic skills the other week?"
    Vlad: "Oh, you know I love you both, so don't get uptight with me. However, both of your art is fantastic, let me tell you. Anyways, down to gossip. Apparently, Zophia has finally found a decent suitor, in the Faustian prince, son of Heinrich Faust! And he's coming over for dinner; we can't have them get married over in Ibellica before I see him for myself."
    Vaclav: "Wonderful news! Anyways, don't scare him too much, dad, we all have heard those nasty rumors of mental disease among us. Sadly, though, I won't be here to watch you two, and, dad, you really should come along soon after the feast, so behave yourself, Leszek!"
    Leszek: "But why won't you be here? I've been in Vallach, remember!"
    Vlad: "I'm afraid I forgot completely about the invasion plans! Well, Vaclav, I'll join with a second force to strike north soon enough, but first....TO DECORATING!"
    Leszek: "Ooooh, can I help?"
    Vaclav, to himself: "There is no way this can end well."

Meanwhile, at the Port of Vallach...
    Princess Zophia Dracule: "Oh, dearest Ulrich, I can't wait until you get to see my old home! It's such a gorgeous place, and you'll love my family, I'm sure of it!"
    Prince Ulrich Faust: "Oh, I'm sure I will, which is why I invited my sister, Gersenda, to come to the wedding as well. Unfortunately...well, she got lost."
    Zophia: "How terrible! Are you sure she hasn't fallen into the hands of...dare I say it?....infidels?"
    Ulrich: "Oh, I'm sure, she landed near Varia and is moving South, but I don't know if she'll make it to the wedding in time!"
    Zophia: "Well, we'll save a piece of cake for her. My soon to be sister will always be welcome in my home."
    Ulrich: "Oh, how lovely! I'm so glad I was married off to such a loving women, the gleeming love of my life! You should have seen who my father had planned to marry me to; the Tuetonics! Such brutes!"
    Zophia: "Oh, those fools in the North, such weaklings. So soft on the infidels, and so stuck on their 'evil pagans', pah! My father always said they should turn to the pestilence beside them, instead of going after the uncivilized! Infidels are so much worse! They mock civilization and God's work by pretending to be human, and to be civilized! Only by God's blessing can they become human, mark my words, and they refuse to! Oh, I hope my father takes us to a battle, it'll be so romantic! Just like the time we first met!"
    Ulrich: "Ahhh, I remember it well. We'd both been firing on the range, and I wondered who'd dressed their target as a Vashta, and then I'd turned and seen you! I still don't know who dressed that target up, but hush, it doesn't matter any more. My father was enchanted as well; women and guns are the keys to a Faustian heart, they say."
    Zophia: "Oh, I can't wait until you meet my brother! You two can talk science for hours on end, and it'll be so wonderful!"

As Zophia and Ulrich headed to Castle Dracule, Vaclav led his force to Kosovar, to begin to Grand Plan of Plans. Vlad and Leszek made sure that the Castle was decorated with many flowers and sequins as they could find, and Castle Dracule was ready for the celebration to begin. But, as Ulrich entered, he found the castle to be eerier and eerier, and while the family was flamboyant and nice, he began to get jumpier and jumpier as the night went on. Only Zophia's prescence kept him there as the opressive stone walls covered in sparkles and tinsel, began to hungrily close in on his mind. After dinner, he had sat awake in his dark room as noises seemed to seep from the walls. Strange noises. He left his room, creeping down the stairs, following the sound of other footsteps. He was Faust; inaction was foolish, he knew, and fear was nothing to the Reich's Son. But curiosity...well, that was something that Fausts were known for. He would find the source...FOR SCIENCE! As he went deeper and deeper into the stone castle, holding his torch, he pursued. And suddenly the noises stopped moving, and he saw a figure in the dark at the end of the hall.
    ???: "Oh, whoever it is, come out, I can see you. Oh, it's you, Ulrich, I have something to show you!"
    As light doused the figure, it was revealed to be Leszek, the brother.
    Leszek: "Oh, my brother wasn't so thorough as he thought; I finally found one! Now, dear brother-to-be, come and see some real science. Watch out, it might be a little bit angry, I don't think I've fed it recently."
    Ulrich opened the door.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ulrich slammed the door, backing against the wall.
    Leszek: "Oh, he's just an old suitor of Zophia's; don't be scared. He's helping science, after all! What could be better?"
    Ulrich promptly fled. And not just from the Castle. To the inner provinces of Correllia, where he was sure they couldn't find him...or could they?

Meanwhile, in the wilderness just South of Kosovar...
    Steward: "My lord, we found a Vashta spy in our midst!"
    Vaclav: "Already? That was fast...faster then I'd like. Bring him in!"
    Dracule troops drag out a woman and a few men.
    Woman: "What is honestly going on? Do you really think we're spies?"
    Steward: "Of course! And you nearly got past us, to!"
    Woman: "I'm wearing a gown, you idiot!"
    Steward: "But it's black...perhaps you are an Eastern ninja, trained in the ways of stealth to fight good Christian men?!"
    Vaclav: "She's a member of the Royal Faustian Family, probably a very lost guest from the looks of her. What's your name, by the way?"
    Steward: "Gladivastnok, my lord!"
    Gersenda: "Gersenda Faust, my lord."
    Vaclav: "Excellent, Gersenda. Perhaps a nice dinner in the command tent could help right the wrongs done here?"
    Gersenda: "How lovely! Of course."

The next day, Gersenda did not leave for the Castle, nor the next week. Instead, she remained with the Prince until, soon enough, the city's meagre garrison fell to Vaclav's force of proffessional spearmen, armed serfs, and overwhelming amounts of crossbow firepower.

As Vlad entered the city as well, with his large cavalry force, it had become clear that this, not Zophia's tragic story, was to be the bond that would unite Faust and Dracule. Gersenda and Vaclav were married upon the night, as sweet perfume overcame the stench of newly made corpses, and the mosque was decorated with numerous crosses (and those infidels that were stuck in the rafters had bows neatly tied upon them; Vlad was always one for beautification).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The weeping Zophia was sent off to travel the world, and begin negotiations, and perhaps find truer love on the horizon.
    Leszek: "Oh come now, Zophia, I'm jealous of you; think of all the wonders you'll see! I for one have always wanted to see Bae' Eden, think of the exotic roses and suitors and lovely granduer abroad!"

Vlad soon left the happy couple in Kosovar, heading off to fight the Boyar of Zoravik, as the Sycorax had been spotted preparing to seize the small duchy for themselves; he may not mind pagans, but they really should know not to land on Slavic soil (It's really not nice, you know). Talks between the pagans and Vlad were quite amiable, however, and by the time the war party left, Vlad had actually become rather attached to War Leader Satanta; after all, how could you not like a man whose name was so close to that of Santa? It's clearly impossible, although Vlad was rather perturbed at the idea of this man going down his chimneys. And even better news was pouring in; Vaclav had even had his first child, Marcin Dracule, and was readying to strike at Lucak Turek, the Boyar of Vardar.

The peices were being set for a Dracule resurgence; already the Vashta had been growing and spreading it's tendrils to take more lands to recruit Yeni Ceri. The Grand Duchy was soldifying it's hold on the South and Central Duchies, and it's forces were growing more numerous and disciplined. Humanity was stumbling from the chasm wrought by nature into the embrace of cold steel and hot fire. The pieces were being set for a real conflict...one which was hurtling towards Slavia already.

"I have no need of technology, I have Blood Knights! You know what I mean? When life gives you lemons, don't take them, who needs life's lemons?! You've got Blood Knights, what does life think about that? Get angry! How dare you just give me lemons, do you know who I am? I'm the man who will burn your house down! With Blood Knights!" -Grand Duke Vlad

Default Re: Waking the Dragon

reserved

also, as I am currently stuck with a cold, I might not be as funny as one would hope, but I pray that it was amusing. And yes, the plot will pick up a little speed soon.

Yay! The adventure comes to Thera!

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

For a second, I thought you were talking about waking TFON from his nap

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

We do not Sparkle! Puff the Magic Dragon Waking the Dragon

i nearly fell off my chair.