Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Historical Rome Total War 1.0 (HRTW) [WIP]

Default Re: Historical Rome Total War 1.0 (HRTW) [WIP]

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Moon View Post
    Apart from the Wedge Mechanics, of course. They are hardcoded, like all formations.
    Yah. But in RTR they made Cavalries able to attack while running, just like what Alexander did in real life. In vanilla cavalries won't attack units beside them when ordered to run, thus preventing the real usage of Wedge. I don't know about Alexander.exe though. In History Channel's Decisive Battles you can see how Alexander used Wedge.
    I just want archers to be realistic. It's very annoying to see people who are immortal against arrows. Full Image

After a long time of testing different mods, I finally came up with an idea on how to fix Wedge (BTW in RTR it is not really fully fixed).

What if it would be like this:
    When you command cavalries to attack, they will do the "Charging" animation even from very long distances (like an edge of the map to another edge of the map) but with reduced movement speed. With that, cavalries will be like armoured vehicles steamrolling everyone in their path (except phalangites), so I also suggest lowering their melee defense so that infantries who are strong enough may be able to stop the charge. They must not also be flying easily like ragdolls (that's the case in vanilla) to make units better at holding them off.

With all these, Wedge Formation may perform realistically, but only on units who block the designated target of the horsemen because in vanilla when you charge a unit while in wedge, they will stop the "Charging" animation when 3-6 horsemen (those in front) hit their target, unlike in history where they continue running and therefore "cutting" through the lines of those who they run through. So what I suggest is to make cavalries who are charging at infantries (1 unit card vs 1 unit card) in wedge formation stop "Charging" ONLY WHEN AT LEAST MORE THAN HALF OF THE CAVALRIES have already penetrated or hit (they should mostly die if they can't penetrate because it just simply means that the units they are charging are strong enough to hold them off) their lines, so that Wedge will have its realistic role (penetrating into the enemies' lines). I don't know if it's code-able though.

But then there is also one problem. What if you want your cavalries only to charge through the gaps of the enemy infantries? In that case, your cavalries won't be able to do the charging animation because there are no units to be attacked between the gaps of their lines (unless there's a unit behind the gap) thus, doing no casualties at all because their spears are all raised up when they run. So what I suggest here is to make cavalries attack those who they run through, even if their unit description says "Marching". That's what they did in RTR.

Sorry for bugging you guys. I just want battles to be realistic. If you managed to make it "realistic enough" I'll do my very best to promote this mod.
    I just want archers to be realistic. It's very annoying to see people who are immortal against arrows. Full Image

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

@Ronald Aniban
    too much ideas and things = too much confusion

just an advice

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    @Ronald Aniban
    too much ideas and things = too much confusion

just an advice
    I facepalmed myself when I figured out that Wedge performs realistically with RomeTWAlex.exe
    Or maybe it's just because of XGM?

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldAniban View Post
    I facepalmed myself when I figured out that Wedge performs realistically with RomeTWAlex.exe
    Or maybe it's just because of XGM?
    What do you mean by "reallistically"? If you mean that the encircle your formations yeah, it's ALX magic on scene

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage of Oz View Post
    What do you mean by "reallistically"?
    Read my posts above.

You guys included the Nabateans but not the Hasmoneans?

Quote Originally Posted by Mavet View Post
    You guys included the Nabateans but not the Hasmoneans?
    The Nabatean Kingdom was older than the Hasmonean dynasty (which, at first, ruled semi-indipendant with Judea under Seleucid rule) and fits more with the concept of the mod.
    Macedon1an's Workshop | Germanic Unit Pack | HRTW | Macedonia Rises Again

"With the blood we shed all over the Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan “Freedom or Death!"" - From the Constitution of the Macedonian Kresna Uprising, 1878

And actually we have changed the faction list again, on the org. This thread is for an older version of the mod

Could you do ethnic traits? like romans get better command and Influence, but are arrogant towards other races so they get more unrest. and eastern factions are better at commanding cavalry but are more likely to be "inferior infantry commanders", greeks are better with infantry and management, and so on and so forth.

EDIT: could you perhaps provide a link to the other forum? so I can look in the other one so i can update on the faction list sorry for wasting time.
    Last edited by Gandalfus; February 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM.

when is the release date? this mod seems interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by AugustusCaeser View Post
    when is the release date? this mod seems interesting.

I don not know.It seems my teammates have stoped working for no reason.

Ahowl is very busy and does not have time for anything...

I realy thought this mod will live long enough to see the light of the day.It seems it has all fallen apart.

It will take awhile. We are just waiting for some UI's to be made before we move on. And yes I'm very busy, now that Baseball is in season, I expect to keep grinding until this mod is made, it is not dead.

baseball season?
    you play or just watch? (if you just watch, there's no reason to be slow, unless you play in league team - there's good reason to halt the mod)

I play. We have 6 games this week! Takes a lot of time out of my schedule

Raritу's Avatar Glück auf!
    Artifex

Here're the UI cards you asked.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?83vvrl3z94vit66

Just a problem, that the triarii_ahowl_late.cas is not importable (get an error), I'm not able to make UI card for it.
    Honored filly of M and happily taking my glance over Milner and Diamat

Thanks so much!

something from the ORG

yes, you can bet who make them

korsakoff's Avatar Tiro

Nice bump