Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Historical Rome Total War 1.0 (HRTW) [WIP]

Default Re: Historical Rome Total War 1.0 (HRTW) [WIP]

Thank you for your input! We are trying to make it as best we can!

At last a reply...I thought it's dead.

BTW, let me share my experiences with other mods:

Firstly, RS II. Battles are unrealistically long, specially cavalry melee battles. It takes ages. Sometimes when a general unit has no more bodyguards and you attack him with 40+ cavalries, he'll survive for a minute. What I want in RS II is that they disabled pila throwing while in melee.

Next, RTR. Almost the same with RS II. Just a little more vanilla-ish.

Lastly, XGM. Great IMO. Battles take a little longer than vanilla but are not very long. It's realistic IMO. Vanilla-ish environment that doesn't make it confusing.
    My only problem with it is that they didn't fix Wedge Formation (wedge formation doesn't work well in large/huge unit size).

Here is how Wedge works at its best usage in normal unit size:

Sorry for my English.
    Last edited by RonaldAniban; January 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
    I just want archers to be realistic. It's very annoying to see people who are immortal against arrows. Full Image

We are very much alive, just working on a different forum. That's interesting, so you are saying you want longer battles, but not extremely long battles? And what exactly do you want for the wedge formation?

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    We are very much alive, just working on a different forum. That's interesting, so you are saying you want longer battles, but not extremely long battles?
    Exactly. XGM did that, but I have some few problems with XGM.

And what exactly do you want for the wedge formation?
    To make it work like in the vid, even in large/huge unit size. Maybe it has something to do with the weight of the horses that decides if they could not penetrate or not.

And AFAIK, historically, wedge formations are sometimes used to break through infantry lines to murder/pursue the enemy's general, just like what Alexander did. In RTW you can seldom do that, because when you command them to run (not attack) pass through a unit, they may get stuck or otherwise they may pass through without doing any casualties to the units they stomp over.

The trick that was made in the vid is to get pass through multiple units by being in Wedge and attacking the units behind them. It doesn't work well in Large/Huge unit size because the charging range is too short for the cavalries to do the charging animation (which inflicts casualties unlike running) before they engage with the units that block their target.

So I am hoping that this mod could fix that, so that I can do some Alexander moves XD

Sorry for my English.

Edit: I got an idea. Maybe the solution is to just increase their charging range (the range before units start doing the charging animation when commanded to attack) so that Wedge could still work well in large/huge unit size?
    Last edited by RonaldAniban; January 23, 2012 at 03:45 AM.
    I just want archers to be realistic. It's very annoying to see people who are immortal against arrows. Full Image

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Adding mass to the mount would give you a more powerfull charge

You shouldn't apologize for your English all the time, it is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    You shouldn't apologize for your English all the time, it is very good.
    Hahaha Thank you. Actually I always read what I type for like 3 times before clicking "Submit Reply" and if I'm not sure if everything is right I will apologize to be sure
    (I think there's something wrong with the grammar now ).

BTW, how's the progress of this mod?

We will try some things out. And no worries with the english. The mod is going well, we are working on the Romans right now

That's great! Oh and I have more things to point out. I think that melee units (legionaries for example) shouldn't be able to throw spears while in melee. RS II did it.

Oh and I also think that it would be realistic if the animations in melee are faster (RTR did it) so that battles would be more "lively" unlike in vanilla where people stare at their enemies for like 5 seconds before attacking.

We will look into it

Primo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Hello!

Finally I am back. Thanks for those touching messages you send me.

I had a terrible car crash, and even after having recovered (which isnīt that long ago) I had simply too much other things to do. I had to learn everything we made in school the whole time in a few days, and it was quite hard. So, I am very sorry for my sudden, unexplained disappereance.

I hope everything with the mod is okay, and that you made progress. Maybe I will even start modding again.

Nightmare Moon

Ps: I noticed that my english got worse due to my absence in this forum and that I didnīt really spoke it.

Welcome back Primo !!!! I'm sorry to hear about the accident, but i'm happy you are fine and now ready to help us with the mod ! Welcome back again !
    Macedon1an's Workshop | Germanic Unit Pack | HRTW | Macedonia Rises Again

"With the blood we shed all over the Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan “Freedom or Death!"" - From the Constitution of the Macedonian Kresna Uprising, 1878

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

not because Nightmare Moon is no more, as you allready revert to Princess Luna?

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    not because Nightmare Moon is no more, as you allready revert to Princess Luna?
    :|
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

How's the progress of this mod? Can you guys express it in %? I'm getting impatient XD

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldAniban View Post
    How's the progress of this mod? Can you guys express it in %? I'm getting impatient XD
    I canīt express it in %, but I can give you a hint as to when we will release:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

When itīs done.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Moon View Post
    I canīt express it in %, but I can give you a hint as to when we will release:

When itīs done.
    You got me D:

haha, It will be awhile, we are trying to make sure everything is right, we just don't want to rush this mod together

haha, It will be awhile, we are trying to make sure everything is right, we just don't want to rush this mod together

But uhmm...Can you please consider my requests?
    List:
    • Realistic Wedge Mechanics
    • Not very long battles (meaning you are able to kill a surrounded general in less than 5 seconds)
    • Not too much 2 HP units (in some mods there are many 2 HP units, and most of those units can survive arrows shot from 2 meters, and some of those units don't even have shields/armor. Who are they, Achiles's clones?)
    • Good Battle AI (Darth has done wonders in it)
    • Realistic Traits
    • Faster Animation Triggers (so people won't stare at their enemies for like 10 seconds before stabbing)

BTW, my request about legionaries throwing their pila while in melee is actually historically accurate after all for it is stated in many sites that those legionaries in the back rows throw their pila while those in the front rows are fighting. So...nevermind that.

Your list will definitely be taken into consideration

Your list will definitely be taken into consideration
    Apart from the Wedge Mechanics, of course. They are hardcoded, like all formations.