Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Historical Rome Total War 1.0 (HRTW) [WIP]

Default Re: Historical Rome Total War 1.0 (HRTW) [WIP]

Quote Originally Posted by TwoKnives View Post
    Well, common women did fight mixed with men. However, to create units that have both of them is impossible. We can't make a unit with clones of different genders, because, even in a game women should have a different appereance from men. I'm not talking about the body, but about the face. However, we could add 1 unit of Noble Women, or 2, 1 that is a melee cavalry (either light or heavy) and 1 HA unit.

Wouldn't it just be easy to use sarmatian women units from BI?

hmmm possibly... i agree with asgaroth.. i say Sarmatian Virgin Horse Archers are good enough

some screens of the new generals and captains, courtesy Macedon1an and touched up by comrade_general

We have the Generals/Captains for Illyria, Nabataean Kingdom, Bosporan Kingdom and Ptolemaic Empire.
    (Notice that the bodyguards have yet to be changed)

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    Wouldn't it just be easy to use sarmatian women units from BI?
    I thought about that too, but somebody *cough-Asgaroth-cough* was faster than me. Anyway, it is a good idea because importing a unit form BI into RTW is better than creating a unit witch would take time (and money).

@ahowl11, Very good preview, I'm glad that the mod is going well.

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    money?
    Well time is money.

good point.. i need to rest.. when i wake and have energy i will return to implementing units.. this week of school has been draining

Alright i'm ready to go!
    Here are the first units that I implemented a few days ago! These are all units that were in the vanilla files but not in the game

Britons:
    Naked Fanatics
    Skirmisher Warband
    Archer Warband
    Chosen Archer Warband
    Barbarian Noble Cavalry

Sarmatians
    Skirmisher Warband
    Barbarian Noble Cavalry

Dacians
    Skirmisher Warband

Thrace
    Barbarian Noble Cavalry

Germans
    Archer Warband

I have now finished implementing general's bodyguard units for, The Ptolemaic Empire, The Bosporan Kingdom, and Britons..
    No More Chariot Generals!!

Alright i'm ready to go!
    Here are the first units that I implemented a few days ago! These are all units that were in the vanilla files but not in the game

Britons:
    Naked Fanatics
    Skirmisher Warband
    Archer Warband
    Chosen Archer Warband
    Barbarian Noble Cavalry

Sarmatians
    Skirmisher Warband
    Barbarian Noble Cavalry

Dacians
    Skirmisher Warband

Thrace
    Barbarian Noble Cavalry

Germans
    Archer Warband

Nice preview, but do the Sarmatians need the Barbarian Noble Cavalry? Wouldn't it be better if you just used Scythian Nobles from vanilla and chaged their name to Sarmatian Nobles? Or are you saving them up for something else?

I have now finished implementing general's bodyguard units for, The Ptolemaic Empire, The Bosporan Kingdom, and Britons..
    No More Chariot Generals!!
    i see you fixed the problem yourself

they will have both units.. and ya it actually wasn't very hard at all

Alright i'm ready to go!

Britons:
    Naked Fanatics
    Skirmisher Warband
    Archer Warband
    Chosen Archer Warband
    Barbarian Noble Cavalry

Sarmatians
    Skirmisher Warband
    Barbarian Noble Cavalry

Dacians
    Skirmisher Warband

Thrace
    Barbarian Noble Cavalry

Germans
    Archer Warband
    There's also an unused Companion cavalry skin for greek_cities. Have you use it?

i dont know if the greek cities used companion cavalry

i dont know if the greek cities used companion cavalry
    Neither do i, but i was saying just as "info" comment

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice work,Ahowl!

Maybe we coud use the companion cav for the Nabatean uniqe unit? (with a little modification,of corse...)
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

I highly doubt the greeks had companions but they should have a variety of light cavalry even horse archers:

The cavalry of Athens, which was first formed after the Greco-Persian War, and then consisted of 300 men, from the Periclean period onwards consisted of 1,200 men, including 200 mounted bowmen (hippotoxōtœ), who were slaves belonging to the state, and 1,000 citizens of the two highest classes.
    (quoted from wikipedia) Also, they should have 1 Thracian mercenary heavy cavalry of some kind.

Anyway, as for the preview, i like the fact that you are making chariots less important. Back in 280 BC the only people that used chariots in Europe and middle east were the Britannic tribes and Pontus. However, I don't think that adding Barbarian Noble Cavalry to the Britons was a good idea, because nobles among the British tribes mounted chariots, not horses. Instead of them you could have added the "British Noble Chariots" (didn't come up with a better name ) using the British Heavy Chariots with lower stats and same price, or same stats with higher price and thus solving the "Britons-are-overpowered-due-to-their-extremely-cost-effective-chariots" problem.

Also for some reason CA made the 3/4 of the barbarians shirtless. Ok, some soldiers of the "barbarian" tribes fought shirtless, but not many of them. It would be a good idea to skin them so they have clothes.

I like the fact that you are adding Skirmisher Warbands to every "barbarian" faction, but they should use a spear instead of a short sword, because historically the spear was the most used weapon among the "barbarian" tribes. Only nobles could afford swords (either long or short). This would make Skirmisher Warbands more effective and would justify their price of 220 denarii (witch makes them more expensive than the better regular archers witch cost only 170 denarii).

Sorry for the long comment. Also if you need help just PM me.

Edorix's Avatar Civis

[*] The British general should have a mail coat and a cloak, but no helmet: no helmets for use in battle have been found in Britain in an Iron Age context. NONE. The famous battersea helmet with the horns has too small a circumference to have been worn by an adult and may have adorned an effigy of a god. The Gaulish general should also have a simple mail coat, not the weird layered cuirass thing they have in-game at the moment, however the Gauls are allowed helmets - not the one in-game though, it should basically be like a Roman helmet, not very tall and with the cheek-pieces.
    [*] The Britons should not have any archer units. Archery was not practised in Iron Age Britain except during the Earliest Iron Age (which is actually the Bronze Age, but anyway).
    [*] The British units should all have warpaint. We do not have any pictorial evidence for the patterns they used, and the written evidence is vague - but I can provide some evidence to use as inspiration, and examples of half-finished skins I have made which could be considered fairly decent guesses. We do know that their tattoos were more light blue (not dark as is generally thought), and we know they painted themselves with stylised animals among other patterns. Let me know when you want what I've got.
    [*] British shields should all be either oval (like the vanilla warband shield) or hide-shaped (like the vanilla warband shield, but with semi circles cut out of top and bottom). Round shields are conspicuously absent from the archaeological record, although they were the norm in the Bronze Age and post-Roman period. This applies almost as well to the Gauls, by the way; round shields should be only for cavalry. Those enormous round shields which the late general's bodyguards have are completely ahistorical for any of the barbarian factions.

I think that's enough to be going on with...
    ~ Edorix
    Ancient Briton

Edorix: with all of these changes how strong will the britons be?? can you provide a complete unit roster proposal for them? we must think of gameplay as well

they will be useless... just like in reality of the time. (nothing against people in Britain - truth is, that most mods remove them for that reason).