Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Is it child abuse to whip your child with a belt? Conservative judge says no

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Is it child abuse to whip your child with a belt? Conservative judge says no

Well boof, I am of a generation where a sound thrashing was the norm if you stepped out of line.
    As far as I am aware though it was for the most part inflicted on boys as it was considered correct and manly
    to take your medicine.
    Girls tended not to have to undergo physical punishment at least by men,
    As generally a man was considered a blackguard if he beat a girl or woman.

sponsered by the noble Prisca

Default Re: Is it child abuse to whip your child with a belt? Conservative judge says no

Quote Originally Posted by boofhead View Post
    Myself and my brothers got heaps worse than that, and we aren't moping about like victims sulking publicly.

And the end result: we are all decent people, successful people, who love our old dad and respect him greatly for what he taught us, even if we hated his guts at the time.

And I know for a fact my dad suffered worse from his own parents. He was being mild when he kicked our arses.

This modern world has made people weak, sulking jokes of humanity.
    This is true.

If you want to see true belt technique, go to an inner city Toys "R" Us.

What's more interesting is watching America's (and the world except for crazy Australialand apparently) reaction.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Is it child abuse to whip your child with a belt?
    Obviously.More than five children die every day as a result of child abuse.
    Approximately 80% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4.
    Well, in the US the spanking of children is legal in all states...
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Putasokinhet View Post
    Screw this story, this thread is now about this far more awesome video in the "related" section.

Okay, I can understand the point with that redneck judge piece of beating his daughter with a belt. But this is like taking a kid to a game o paintball as punishment.

I guess we are not all adults here and according to our nannies the word for a female dog is worth of a warning. ITS JUST SO TERRIBLE GUYS SO TERRIBLE
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Oh yes, western civilization has become weak. Our youth definitely is not "Flink wie Windhunde, zäh wie Leder, hart wie Kruppstahl" ((c) A.H.) anymore. I wish parents would get back to the old ways of handing out a decent spanking once in a while. It was better back then. As we can see by the many testimonies of brave TWC fellows, having been spanked thouroughly does not prevent you from becoming a productive, lawful member of society! In fact, it more seems like a prerequisite.

On a more serious note, anything beyond an occasional slap on the butt or fingers is abuse. And once you are able to reason with a child (i.e. >3 years), even that little is parental fail. That many parents succumb to this type of fail once in a while (me included) does not render it less wrong.
    "The cheapest form of pride however is national pride. For it reveals in the one thus afflicted the lack of individual qualities of which he could be proud, while he would not otherwise reach for what he shares with so many millions. He who possesses significant personal merits will rather recognise the defects of his own nation, as he has them constantly before his eyes, most clearly. But that poor blighter who has nothing in the world of which he can be proud, latches onto the last means of being proud, the nation to which he belongs to. Thus he recovers and is now in gratitude ready to defend with hands and feet all errors and follies which are its own."-- Arthur Schopenhauer

And the end result: we are all decent people, successful people,
    In spite of, not because of getting beat down.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

So as child beating decreases and becomes illegal and crime decreases there are still some morons that seriously believe that beating children makes them better people. Holy crap, I love idiots, always hilarious, if occasionally sinister.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
    not beating child=accepting criminal behavior from said child

awesome logic

you were the one who said she did nothing wrong, so why would you punish someone who did no wrong?

not punishing child = accepting criminal behavior

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Is it too much to hope for that the civilized US could come up with a good old fashioned lynch mob for this judge piece of thrash? I mean, it's in Texas, right? His wife is perhaps even worse. 'Hey, let me help you escaping your daddy's torture by beating you the right way'. ****ing beasts. Over here, such behaviour would've landed them a criminal charge - and the man's supposed to represent that state's justice... Absolutely disgusting.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag View Post
    Is it too much to hope for that the civilized US could come up with a good old fashioned lynch mob for this judge piece of thrash? I mean, it's in Texas, right?
    If it remained just a local, small town issue then sure. But if there's one thing Americans hate more than fathers beating their daughters is finding themselves in agreement with people they can't stand.

His wife is perhaps even worse. 'Hey, let me help you escaping your daddy's torture by beating you the right way'.
    Identification with the oppressor.

She's clearly a victim of abuse herself, and so she fused her identity with the father to protect herself.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by eisenkopf View Post
    On a more serious note, anything beyond an occasional slap on the butt or fingers is abuse. And once you are able to reason with a child (i.e. >3 years), even that little is parental fail. That many parents succumb to this type of fail once in a while (me included) does not render it less wrong.
    Well said.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

I remember my dad whipped my brother with a belt once because he got 4 Fs and told my dad to off and kicked his $1000 audio system over breaking the receiver, buckle broke and it cut him so he bled. That is how we got our Playstation 2.

If I did something stupid I would take my punishment. After a while though they realize that it had no effect on me. My dad would ask if I would like to be grounded for a week (or more) or get the belt. I ALWAYS chose the belt. MY brother was the opposite of that. He hated it.

I remember it used to be my mom who did it and I laughed at her when she did it once. Thats when I graduated to dad.

We were s when we were kids, I look back and laugh at that .

not beating child=accepting criminal behavior from said child

awesome logic
    I agree, in our case that is 100% the case. It is awesome perfect logic. No sarcasm. Like I said I will be doing this myself with my kids, perfect way to raise children.

In fact the kids I knew who got timeout are all entitled s who MUST buy BMWs or Audis to feel complete. (used of course since they live with their mom and work at subway)

Some kids just don't do anything bad or bad enough to warrant a belt.

However if you REFUSE to listen to your parents non stop and talk back or break their and sneak out of being grounded. A belt is what you should get.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

When I did something bad I simply got grounded and got my super-nintendo taken away, that was horrible enough.
    What he did, well let's just say that is more else shows that he got some freaking issues and what a bad parent he is as well as the mother.

Let's see, one guy is a perfectly fine functioning adult engaged in academic studies. Then you have another dude who's also a perfectly fine functioning individual in a comparable progressive educational pursuit. One was beaten as a kid, the other wasn't. Yeah, I see the bad parenting.

If you have to enforce respect through violence, you've failed as a parent. Big time.

She's clearly a victim of abuse herself, and so she fused her identity with the father to protect herself.
    Seems plausible enough.
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

Otto von Bismarck

Squiggle's Avatar Primicerius

Myself and my brothers got heaps worse than that, and we aren't moping about like victims sulking publicly.

And the end result: we are all decent people, successful people, who love our old dad and respect him greatly for what he taught us, even if we hated his guts at the time.

And I know for a fact my dad suffered worse from his own parents. He was being mild when he kicked our arses.

This modern world has made people weak, sulking jokes of humanity.
    Exactly. People decry a little discipline as "mean" or, even in this case, sadistic and evil, yet with no exceptions the kids I know who were raised in this new age of talking to your child, asking him to be nice, or even bribing him to be, are bastards. And why wouldnt you be? You have no respect for the possible consequences of your actions.
    Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    ― Denis Diderot
    ~
    As for politics, I'm an Anarchist. I hate governments and rules and fetters. Can't stand caged animals. People must be free.
    ― Charlie Chaplin

So child discipline that doesn't involve violence is new age ****?

Brilliant, Squiggle. Brilliant.
    Сканија је Данска

Otto von Bismarck

These arguments on discipline do not logically follow one another. Is it abusive because it fails or is unnecessary as a discipline tool? Does it fail or is unnecessary as a tool because it is abusive?

Properly understood, the beating has nothing to do with discipline at all. The discipline is an excuse for the discharge of rage which was coming out one way or another. That's why he's relieved after he's finished beating her.

"Finally, now I can sleep!"

These debates are about self-identification, because you don't need 8 pages or hundreds of thousands of Youtube comments to say what hasn't already been said. He was being a dick.

These arguments on discipline do not logically follow one another. Is it abusive because it fails or is unnecessary as a discipline tool? Does it fail or is unnecessary as a tool because it is abusive?
    Furthermore, different cultures are at different stages in regards to corporal punishment. When I was teaching English in rural Tamil Nadu, some of the parents actually described me as a bad educator on account of the fact that I wouldn't hit their six year old son because he didn't pronounce the rhymes in "Old Macdonald" correctly.

I just hoped Texas had moved on from that point.
    Сканија је Данска

Otto von Bismarck

It's because these things do not shift from stage to stage. There is, in fact, no such thing as a hierarchy in the first place. There is only internalization of societal rules, and this changes regardless of any notion of societal advancement. As in the case with your Tamil student and others here who are incredulous that their own spankings did not turn them psychopathic (or did it?), there is an important difference between what happened to you and how you use what happened to you.

One of those you have to live with and the other one everyone else has to live with. You will never be free in the latter, however.