Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Is it child abuse to whip your child with a belt? Conservative judge says no

Default Re: Is it child abuse to whip your child with a belt? Conservative judge says no

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    If you want to raise your child an trust fund baby that is your choice.
    Hmm, yes, because not beating your child means they are a trust fund baby. I think using a beating to discipline your child is lazy, and doesn't really work anyways. Certainly there are many other things you could do to make sure they obey. And then there is the fact that some children are just the types that won't obey, period. But beating them is not the answer.

This is child abuse.

I was spanked as a child, I think the belt was used on me once, but nothing like this. And in all honesty, if I hadn't been spanked, I would have been the same kid. I was a (relatively) good kid regardless, and it mostly had to do with many other aspects, not fear of getting hit. My parents did it because their parents did it, but looking back, they said it wasn't necessary.

Blaze86420's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Is it child abuse to whip your child with a belt? Conservative judge says no

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Now! View Post
    Hitting them period.
    Nope. Screw that. I got beat a lot when I was a kid, and I don't regret at all. What you saw in the video results in psychological problems with the kid, no doubt about that. But stopping disciplinary beating all together results in the degenerate Western society of today.

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

I've got the belt a few times, no my dad should not be hanged. Its kept me out of trouble more often than not.

This smells of some stuck up pissed off because she didn't get her way too many times as a child. I know a few people like that IRL that hate their parents still because they didn't buy them that Mustang they wanted. IMO more girls should be getting the belt, too many spoiled female children at 23 these days. I have less respect for a woman in her 20s than a man because more often than not they are coddled adult-children still in some way living off their parents with absolutely no maturity.... all due to the fact they were daddies little girl who is always right and always got their way. Being in the military this is even more evident you so stupid like this all the time. I don't care if anyone here thinks i'm a misogynist this is fact.

The last time I got the belt I took all my dads old LPs, like the original Beetles release US album as well as Black Sabbath, and destroyed them. All of them, along with my brother. We were 10 at the time. I deserved it, without a doubt, and don't whine about it til this day like some moron out for their 15 minutes airing their families problems in public.

The fact that this woman airs her families problems out in public like this is all the proof I need to describe her as above this should be /thread with that. Anyone who had the willingness to do that should not be listened to and should be thought of as a b!tch.

Sorry I have no respect for a swear filter on a forum frequented by adults blocking words that 8 year olds use. Ban me if you don't like it.

When my child consistently does not listen to me i WILL be giving them the belt and they will be a future positive contributor to society with a normal life and job that pays well just like I am.

If you want to raise your child an trust fund baby that is your choice.
    So would it be ok for you to beat the crap out of one of your adult soldiers for doing something stupid? Last time I checked, that would land you in the brig. And yes, I too served in the Army as an NCO and had to discipline soldiers in my time.

At 16 a girl is almost a full-grown woman. There's no more excuse for beating her than there is to beat your wife because the dinner was cold. Appropriate punishments include grounding her, taking away the computer, etc.

As far as younger kids go, I'm not against giving them a few swats on the butt if they're severely misbehaving. A belt is usually uncalled for. Threatening to beat your kid in the face is ALWAYS uncalled for.

I'm at least glad to hear that many people in Texas are equally outraged. At first I thought most of the local community were supporting the judge, which blew my mind.
    Last edited by Count of Montesano; November 05, 2011 at 08:03 PM.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

This smells of some stuck up pissed off because she didn't get her way too many times as a child
    Yes. A legally disabled girl with cerebral palsy is just some stuck up . I mean it wasn't excessive at all what the father did.

I have been beaten with a belt before. Never that much. And i did much worse things than pirateing music. I watched the video, and its a clear case that the father is just a complete . When i was 17 year old and got caught by my ISP donwloading movies illegally, all my dad told me is to not do it again. Thats it. He didn't have to grab the "Big Belt" and beat the out of me with it. Infact, my father would never try to beat me with a belt at that each. Considering i wouldn't allow it to happen. I don't know, maybe its just because i personally believe you should never beat or girl or child except if it is truly necessary.

This probably isn't the first time that she has been beaten. I mean if your going to get that many times for pirating music, i can't even comprehend how bad she would get it if she did something even worse.
    Last edited by Vanoi; November 05, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Hitting is child abuse plain and simple and there is plenty of evidence to suggest it is so. It is also bad parenting.

This judge should be pelted with tomatoes wherever he goes, not just smacking but with a belt? What a sicko, the hand wasn't enough with a young girl.

panzer 4's Avatar Domesticus

my parents never used to hit me, though my dad said he would shoot me if he saw me within 100 metres of some militia group/gun.

but they did use to smack/beat me if i was being bad, and now that i look back at it, i find it perfect acceptable.
    The US will gladly step up to become the world police when there is oil involved, yet they will resign the second there is a genocide in Africa, a slaughter in an allied nation, or a massacre committed by dictators, all who's nations have nothing to offer, but the gratitude of the people to the international community for reaching out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze86420 View Post
    Nope. Screw that. I got beat a lot when I was a kid, and I don't regret at all. What you saw in the video results in psychological problems with the kid, no doubt about that. But stopping disciplinary beating all together results in the degenerate Western society of today.
    I don't know, Western society seems pretty awesome compared to places that have not civilized. Indeed, the West sucked ass back in the Dark Ages, but I bet they beat their kids. I think beating your kids as a substitute for discipline is the result of archaic and backwards notions from a time when ideas such as "human rights" didn't exist, much less education. I'll take my "degenerate" society any day over the injustices I see in the many areas of the world that still rely on the "old paths".

Eofor's Avatar Domesticus

I think smacking can be appropriate, but doing it with anything other than your hand is going to far. It's also not always the best method of punishment-what's going to hurt more, being smacked on the ass a few times, or being grounded and not being able to go to that awesome party your BFF is holding?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze86420 View Post
    No. The girl didn't do anything. That dad beat his daughter and abused her. When you discipline children you do not ing beat the living out of them with your belt. You think hitting children makes them a better person? I guess if it happened to you and you aren't beating your children means it is ok? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Concillius View Post
    I think smacking can be appropriate, but doing it with anything other than your hand is going to far. It's also not always the best method of punishment-what's going to hurt more, being smacked on the ass a few times, or being grounded and not being able to go to that awesome party your BFF is holding?
    Any physical contact is going way too far. This is the 21st century, not the Bronze age.
    Last edited by (s)AINT; November 05, 2011 at 08:24 PM.

This is the 21st century, not the Bronze age.
    I don't know, I'm beginning to wonder in some parts of the country...

Thanks, forgot to make exceptions for: Middle east and far too many households in the USA.

Any physical contact is going way too far. This is the 21st century, not the Bronze age.
    Except that it can sometimes be the best way to get the message across. Emphasis on "sometimes".

Except that it can sometimes be the best way to get the message across. Emphasis on "sometimes".
    Yeah. I guess the Police should beat speeders to get their "message" across. You know, just a "sometimes".

Since any physical contact is completely unacceptable in society as an adult, I honestly don't know how it is preparing a child for the real world. I also don't think it is ever the "best way" to get the message across, unless your message is "I'm bigger than you and can inflict pain on you at will, so obey me as a result". Maybe that's the problem. The "message" that parents want to send their kids.

This guys sure got his message across.

Yeah. I guess the Police should beat speeders to get their "message" across. You know, just a "sometimes".
    Strawman argument is a strawman.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Since any physical contact is completely unacceptable in society as an adult, I honestly don't know how it is preparing a child for the real world. I also don't think it is ever the "best way" to get the message across, unless your message is "I'm bigger than you and can inflict pain on you at will, so obey me as a result". Maybe that's the problem. The "message" that parents want to send their kids.

This guys sure got his message across.
    Or maybe the message is that doing stupid scit will get you hurt.

Strawman argument is a strawman.

Explain how I misrepresented your post? I've got all night.

Explain how I misrepresented your post? I've got all night.
    If you don't understand the difference between a parent disciplining their child and police brutality there's no hope for you.

Or maybe the message is that doing stupid scit will get you hurt.
    You could just tell them that. And give them consequences other than physically beating them. But that seems a bit too logical?

"You could get hurt driving drunk, now let me smash this windowpane over your head to simulate you crashing at 50 mph"

If you don't understand the difference between a parent disciplining their child and police brutality there's no hope for you.
    Parents beating their kids with a belt is not "disciplining". It is child abuse and is very much like a police officer beating a speeder for a simple infraction.

While I know 16 year olds who need to be spanked if you need to spank your 16 year old you already failed.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.