Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] Kingdom of England

Lord Hamilton's Avatar Treun anns a' chath

Default Re: [Preview] Kingdom of England

I think a name change might be appropriate in this case, however I'm slightly reluctant to use "familia regis," given that it is a latin term and the rest are Anlgo-Norman French...Perhaps something akin to "garde des corps royaume" or something? Need to do a bit more research here, but it appears that the "huescherles" Anglo-Norman references may have been speaking more to the earlier Saxon period.

Karazor's Avatar Shisai

hi i just saw the mod , and the idea and mod is fantastic from what i'v seen from the previews , but my question is where can i download the mod ?

Wallachian's Avatar Equites Cohortales

Nowhere, it's not finished yet.

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Quote Originally Posted by Karazor View Post
    hi i just saw the mod , and the idea and mod is fantastic from what i'v seen from the previews , but my question is where can i download the mod ?
    It's not yet released but the progress goes well.

Karazor's Avatar Shisai

Ok deabea astept ARATA prea bine Modu

Pili Posterior

you have different weapons, livery, headgear etc and seem to have nutted out the bump mapping and graphical splendor of the original units!!! WOW just WOW

Cliffs of Dover fixed

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

WotW Team,

Marvellous work, the detail is fabulous

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

that_one_guy's Avatar Discens

Hi, so far this is looking beautiful, but I was thinking that England could use some more variety in their melee units. For example, they could use some guys like this:

The idea is you could give guys like those english soldiers 2H axes and bill hooks, or spears w/shields. Then you'd have, respectively, guisarme sergeants, and spear sergeants. I think this would help because as it is, the english army consists of levy spearmen, sergeants, bowmen, and knights. There needs to be heavier spearmen, more variety in heavy infantry, and maybe some light infantry by giving the sergeants padded gambesons etc.

I don't mean to be demanding, I just thought it would be more accurate and fun to have a greater variety in the units.
    that_one_guy: Just your friendly neighborhood grammar Nazi.

Dearg Doom's Avatar Aquilifer

Quote Originally Posted by that_one_guy View Post
    Hi, so far this is looking beautiful, but I was thinking that England could use some more variety in their melee units. For example, they could use some guys like this:

The idea is you could give guys like those english soldiers 2H axes and bill hooks, or spears w/shields. Then you'd have, respectively, guisarme sergeants, and spear sergeants. I think this would help because as it is, the english army consists of levy spearmen, sergeants, bowmen, and knights. There needs to be heavier spearmen, more variety in heavy infantry, and maybe some light infantry by giving the sergeants padded gambesons etc.

I don't mean to be demanding, I just thought it would be more accurate and fun to have a greater variety in the units.
    My sweet jesus you did not just use braveheart as a hisotrical example!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Are you insane man!!!!!!!!

David93's Avatar Shiny

Quote Originally Posted by that_one_guy View Post

Ours is probably the most historic roster youll find for england in any mod
    and as dreag said, braveheart is a very inaccurate movie
    We base our rosters on history rather than what we think the rosters need, however this generally results in great factions with each faction having strengths and weaknesses, the english have their longbows and knights, the scots lack these in the same strength, but have great spearmen to counter and the isles have great foot infantry, but no cavalry. The result is you get factions which are very unique and that you must fight using their strengths. The orkneys and the irish also come with their own strengths and weaknesses

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

that_one_guy's Avatar Discens

I'm so embarrassed about using braveheart as an example. I realize the Scots were horribly portrayed in terms of historical accuracy in that movie, and Mel Gibson's an idiot. However, I was talking about the English sergeants in particular, and in the late era of your mod (circa 1300), the type of armor in my picture is actually fairly accurate. The bill, as used in the English army, would have been widely used by heavy infantry(sergeants) around this time. Furthermore, the English were renowned for their use of heavy infantry armed with guisarmes. All I was saying, was maybe in the late era of your mod, make a heavy guisarme unit for the English. To help with balancing, give them high armor, but low morale and skill, because they are common peasants as opposed to the weather hardened men of the north. Then you'll have strong longbows and knights for the English, with heavy yet unmotivated infantry. Scots will have strong spearmen and brave clansmen to counter the knights and heavy infantry, while their weaker professional troops will provide some support against common units. Then, the isles will have fierce and powerful infantry to crush spearmen and heavy infantry alike, but still be weak against cavalry.

However, if you're adamant that this would not be in the best interests of the mod, just tell me and I'll shut up, because it's your thing.

And one more thing, there's a reason the English were the dominant force of Britain, perhaps they should be more of a challenge for other British factions rather than an equal?
    Last edited by that_one_guy; July 14, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
    that_one_guy: Just your friendly neighborhood grammar Nazi.

David93's Avatar Shiny

Im not an expert on the english, but im quite confident they used that armour because mail was to expensive, if you get a good reference it would help your argument. I love mel gibson plus bravehearts an awesome movie haha
    England will be powerful, it will start with more land and one on one it should beat most factions, but if all the factions fight the english at once, which never really happened then they would be defeated.
    However england was not the dominant force, scotland is the unconquered country and ireland isnt conquered for another 300 years under that cromwell. Wales is conquered earlier, but it was definitley no pushover wales has more castles per square mile than any where else in the world.
    So england wasnt really that dominant in our era

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Fedual's Avatar Hastatus

I want to use your models in my "vanilla" SS, i guess thats allowed as long as i dont share it with anyone?

However im having a hard time figuring out what is what in the "unit_models" folder, since the names are not the same as "in game".

Im trying mostly to figure out how to incorporate the Familiers models for bodyguards and kings men, and the chevalers as fedual knights and Serjeants as miles, if its allowed that is. If it is then if someone could help me with what file goes were i would be very grateful

Best Regards, Fedual

David93's Avatar Shiny

Yeah its allowed as long as its your private mod then theres no way to regulate it
    your going to need to look at 3 files the export_units.txt which will give the units their names in game and the name in brackets is what they are called in the Export_descr_unit file, in there at the armour_ug_models section it will give you the name of the unit in the battle.models.db file. The battle models file shows the pathways to the units and what thier mesh and texture files are called in the unit_models folder hope that helps

Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire

- Quentin Crisp

- Michael Collins

- Bobby Sands

Fedual's Avatar Hastatus

Quote Originally Posted by David93 View Post
    Yeah its allowed as long as its your private mod then theres no way to regulate it
    your going to need to look at 3 files the export_units.txt which will give the units their names in game and the name in brackets is what they are called in the Export_descr_unit file, in there at the armour_ug_models section it will give you the name of the unit in the battle.models.db file. The battle models file shows the pathways to the units and what thier mesh and texture files are called in the unit_models folder hope that helps
    Thank you, im looknig forward to playing with the units more than only in custom battles from your demo now hehe

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Quote Originally Posted by Fedual View Post
    I want to use your models in my "vanilla" SS, i guess thats allowed as long as i dont share it with anyone?

However im having a hard time figuring out what is what in the "unit_models" folder, since the names are not the same as "in game".

Im trying mostly to figure out how to incorporate the Familiers models for bodyguards and kings men, and the chevalers as fedual knights and Serjeants as miles, if its allowed that is. If it is then if someone could help me with what file goes were i would be very grateful

Best Regards, Fedual
    You are allowed to integrate the models for your own personal use but not for any modding projects (using body parts for creating new units) or public mods/submods without our permission (which for now is a no for public stuff until at least we've finished with our project). David answered you for the integration process.

Regards.

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Hastatas Posterior

Awesome looking units! Good luck for this project!

Discens

hi, like fuedal i am also trying to implement the unit models into vanilla (for my own use) as im getting impatient and i want to play campaign with these amazing models.
    However, ive been trying all morning and no luck the game just crashes.
    Would i please be able to get some help??
    for some reason using the bodyguard models for any unit works perfectly fine but when i try to use any other model, say the dismounted serjeants for say: the dismounted fuedal knights, it just crashes striaght to desktop.

Please please please can one of you help me

Napoleon: Fields of Glory mod link below. . .
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=499906

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Pili Prior

check the system log to see why it crashed

Ikko-Ikki

Hi,in my opinion lower class speramen/billman maybe equipped with brigandine/gambeson armour kettle hat or a common conical helmet....tunic with heraldics probably were dressed only from retinue soldiers....
    I think there were even better equipped infantry units than Geldons,with large oval or acorn shield and spear,probably mercenary unit or lower class noble that used to fight on foot or like Hobilar light cavalry.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information