Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: GRANTOZ OIM VER.3.1.4 {beta submod conversion}

Default Re: GRANTOZ OIM VER.2

Great work! Had a lot of fun with it this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It works very well on the BI engine. If you can, try it on the AlexTW engine, the AI is much stronger.
    Thanks, Rick. Unfortunately, I've never gotten around to getting AlexTW, though I've been hearing for a long time about the AI's superiority on that engine. Does that superiority extend to the BAI as well? Maybe something to think about for the future...

Now for some general comments about the mod:

Let me begin by saying that the units are simply stunning. I can remember playing the first version some time ago (before the campaign was available) and thinking that the textures put those of Empire TW (and many mods) to shame. Indeed, such quality makes me forget that I'm playing RTW and not one of the more graphically intensive Total War titles. Granto, I can't thank you enough for making a playable campaign and not letting this great work fall to the wayside. The campaign map is gorgeously rendered. I especially enjoy the navigable rivers.

I started a campaign as the Zaporozhians and it's been great fun so far. My only problem, at the moment, is that i am hopelessly in the red. I'm having an interesting showdown with the Nogai Horde, who were my allies before a dastardly betrayal (by them). I love the diplomatic complexity of the mod, which is evident from the very first turn. Also, there are many unique factions (all researched to the nines and historically rendered, from what I can tell), so this mod will have immense re-playability.

Also, the textual descriptions are immensely readable and full of interesting details! I've been reading them with pleasure. (Am I right to guess that some of the unit/building descriptions were taken from Cegorach's excellent Pike and Musket mod for MTW? Either way, this is the kind of detail and care that separates a great mod from a mediocre one, imo.)

Ogniem i Mieczem is a true "total conversion mod" which, I think, stands up any other mod produced for the RTW-BI/ALX engine, and deserves a lasting place in the annals of Total War modding.

Thanks again, Granto. You can expect more feedback from me in the future––as I go on to discover more and more about Ogniem i Mieczem.

On a side note: I noticed a funny little bug while besieging one of the Crimean cities. If i chose "attempt a night attack," my canon were completely useless against the walls––running out of ammo before inflicting any damage! I replayed the battle (fighting in daylight this time) and pummelled the walls to rubble in no time. Weird, huh? Also, I'm wondering if there's a way to translate the Spanish end of turn notifications into English. It's not a big deal, though, since I'm using them to brush up on my Spanish.
    Last edited by Cyprian2; November 14, 2011 at 09:56 PM.

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    Thanks, Rick. Unfortunately, I've never gotten around to getting AlexTW, though I've been hearing for a long time about the AI's superiority on that engine. Does that superiority extend to the BAI as well? Maybe something to think about for the future...

Let me begin by saying that the units are simply stunning. I can remember playing the first version some time ago (before the campaign was available) and thinking that the textures put those of Empire TW (and many mods) to shame. Indeed, such quality makes me forget that I'm playing RTW and not one of the more graphically intensive Total War titles. Granto, I can't thank you enough for making a playable campaign and not letting this great work fall to the wayside. The campaign map is gorgeously rendered. I especially enjoy the navigable rivers.

I started a campaign as the Zaporozhians and it's been great fun so far. My only problem, at the moment, is that i am hopelessly in the red. I'm having an interesting showdown with the Nogai Horde, who were my allies before a dastardly betrayal (by them). I love the diplomatic complexity of the mod, which is evident from the very first turn. Also, there are many unique factions (all researched to the nines and historically rendered, from what I can tell), so this mod will have immense re-playability.

Also, the textual descriptions are immensely readable and full of interesting details! I've been reading them with pleasure. (Am I right to guess that some of the unit/building descriptions were taken from Cegorach's excellent Pike and Musket mod for MTW? Either way, this is the kind of detail and care that separates a great mod from a mediocre one, imo.)

Ogniem i Mieczem is a true "total conversion mod" which, I think, stands up any other mod produced for the RTW-BI/ALX engine, and deserves a lasting place in the annals of Total War modding.

Thanks again, Granto. You can expect more feedback from me in the future––as I go on to discover more and more about Ogniem i Mieczem.

On a side note: I noticed a funny little bug while besieging one of the Crimean cities. If i chose "attempt a night attack," my canon were completely useless against the walls––running out of ammo before inflicting any damage! I replayed the battle (fighting in daylight this time) and pummelled the walls to rubble in no time. Weird, huh? Also, I'm wondering if there's a way to translate the Spanish end of turn notifications into English. It's not a big deal, though, since I'm using them to brush up on my Spanish.
    THANKS , the hard work was already done by the makers and thanks must go to them , this mod has tons of life in it and is very addictive , about your bug... its just that on night battles the cannons have grape shot set as default all you have to do is change it back to cannon ball in the ui , i may look at giving small factions a bit more cash to start with especialy on the alex engine which is a real challenge , thanks for your feedback and look out for more to come in the near future , ta

Thanks, Granto. Very much looking forward to more. (And, yes, the gameplay is addictive!)

heres a quick fix for the battlefield ui from spanish to english http://www.gamefront.com/files/20991755/bi.7z it will be part of the next reworked patch that will take the mod up to an english version of 1.31 , extract place over bi , click yes to all you will now have english words on your toggle buttons

Do I install it in bi even if I'm playing in Alex? I'm assuming the answer is, yes, but I just wanted to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Do I install it in bi even if I'm playing in Alex? I'm assuming the answer is, yes, but I just wanted to make sure.
    yes

johnswan's Avatar Tiro

feedback........................................................................................................................
    i`d just like to say that i agree with the above quote,its a fantastic piece of work,top marks to all involved.Have been playing as the ottomans for three days now and am finding it very hard to stop!
    I notice the english version has the notifications in spanish,is this correct ? Also that the Safvids are labelled as the khazar khanate on the battle map.The mod seems nearly complete,just one or two placeholder buildings ie -temple of sol invictus for protestant church,monestary pic shows legionaries training,if i can i would like to translate the `english` into english as a lot of it doesnt actually make sense,this is not a complaint or a critisism by the way,are the english descriptions in the data files somewhere ?Also some of the quotes on the loading screens need re doing,

Quote Originally Posted by johnswan View Post
    feedback........................................................................................................................
    i`d just like to say that i agree with the above quote,its a fantastic piece of work,top marks to all involved.Have been playing as the ottomans for three days now and am finding it very hard to stop!
    I notice the english version has the notifications in spanish,is this correct ? Also that the Safvids are labelled as the khazar khanate on the battle map.The mod seems nearly complete,just one or two placeholder buildings ie -temple of sol invictus for protestant church,monestary pic shows legionaries training,if i can i would like to translate the `english` into english as a lot of it doesnt actually make sense,this is not a complaint or a critisism by the way,are the english descriptions in the data files somewhere ?Also some of the quotes on the loading screens need re doing,
    cheers johnswan , its good to know its being well recieved , i know it seems like a vast team put this together , but its just me resurrecting OIM in the GRANTO style ,after all theres life in the old cossack yet , i pmd you

I've spent the last couple of nights immersed in a campaign as the Zaporozhian Cossacks (BI version, h/h). Well, two campaigns, actually, since I decided to start a second one after not doing so well on the first. Unfortunately, I'm on the point of quitting in disgust. The Zaporozhians don't stand a chance in this mod! First off, they cannot maintain a decent army without hemorrhaging cash––like, 2k every turn––and there aren't many ways to grow their economy, either. Yes, their troops are better than average––both the infantry and cavalry, but come with very expensive upkeep. Also, the Zaps are hemmed in on three sides by big, hostile empires (Turks, Russians, Poles). You think yourself safely allied to one, only to find yourself attacked by the other two. Then there's the Nogai Horde, which are a fresh hell unto themselves––with their machine-gun archery and inevitable backstabbing. I've found it well nigh impossible to defeat them in open battle. In both of my campaigns, I won a string of smaller battles, but lost the big one, along with my faction leader, and just like that, my little Cossack nation was sunk. Don't get me wrong: I love the complexity of this campaign, and I love a challenge––but it seems impossible to survive as the Zaps! (I suppose I could try a blitzkrieg/migration campaign, but that's never been my style.) Anyway, I may well switch to the ALX version (I'll have to purchase it first), so I at least won't have to contend with the impossible Nogai, but this would feel wrong somehow, too much like giving up.

So, Granto, I wonder if there's a way to give the Zaps a fighting chance in the next patch? For example, unit upkeep could be drastically reduced (since Cossacks were, after all, foraging experts); secondly, the Nogais could be nerfed a bit. I mean, even three stacks is almost more than the player can handle. Thirdly, I'd suggest adding one or two income-boosting buildings. While the Zaps start out with a good chunk of change, this money is inevitably eroded within the first fifty turns, so what they really need is a decent economy. Finally, I also found myself getting inadvertently drawn into war with Poland––when some of their towns rebelled to my faction. While this was a neat plot twist, I wonder how many wars the player can be expected to fight against much bigger and better-funded armies?

I'm really looking forward to the 12tpy patch, which may slow things down a bit. I also hope that some more advantages are conferred on the Zaporozhians, lest it merely prolongs the suffering of the unfortunate soul who chooses to play as them.

... you can recruit only mercenaries (taking your two generals, with whom you start the campaign, and start giving some laps and neighboring regions, there are good mercenaries in each), which are quite better than the troops available in the Scich and Mykytyn Rih (the two cossacks towns)... Can also leave home to fend for themselves, and become horde (the Cossacks can do it)... but hey, it depends on how you like playing... each has a style.
    Last edited by Archaeopterix; November 17, 2011 at 02:53 AM.

Any advice on how to install this to work with steam version of alex?
    Don't forget to rep me if you like something I did/ or not lol

See that green thingy under the Carroburg banner? click it!

Pwning as the Pope on VH/VH Savage AI SS 6.4!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=430026

I've spent the last couple of nights immersed in a campaign as the Zaporozhian Cossacks (BI version, h/h). Well, two campaigns, actually, since I decided to start a second one after not doing so well on the first. Unfortunately, I'm on the point of quitting in disgust. The Zaporozhians don't stand a chance in this mod! First off, they cannot maintain a decent army without hemorrhaging cash––like, 2k every turn––and there aren't many ways to grow their economy, either. Yes, their troops are better than average––both the infantry and cavalry, but come with very expensive upkeep. Also, the Zaps are hemmed in on three sides by big, hostile empires (Turks, Russians, Poles). You think yourself safely allied to one, only to find yourself attacked by the other two. Then there's the Nogai Horde, which are a fresh hell unto themselves––with their machine-gun archery and inevitable backstabbing. I've found it well nigh impossible to defeat them in open battle. In both of my campaigns, I won a string of smaller battles, but lost the big one, along with my faction leader, and just like that, my little Cossack nation was sunk. Don't get me wrong: I love the complexity of this campaign, and I love a challenge––but it seems impossible to survive as the Zaps! (I suppose I could try a blitzkrieg/migration campaign, but that's never been my style.) Anyway, I may well switch to the ALX version (I'll have to purchase it first), so I at least won't have to contend with the impossible Nogai, but this would feel wrong somehow, too much like giving up.

So, Granto, I wonder if there's a way to give the Zaps a fighting chance in the next patch? For example, unit upkeep could be drastically reduced (since Cossacks were, after all, foraging experts); secondly, the Nogais could be nerfed a bit. I mean, even three stacks is almost more than the player can handle. Thirdly, I'd suggest adding one or two income-boosting buildings. While the Zaps start out with a good chunk of change, this money is inevitably eroded within the first fifty turns, so what they really need is a decent economy. Finally, I also found myself getting inadvertently drawn into war with Poland––when some of their towns rebelled to my faction. While this was a neat plot twist, I wonder how many wars the player can be expected to fight against much bigger and better-funded armies?

I'm really looking forward to the 12tpy patch, which may slow things down a bit. I also hope that some more advantages are conferred on the Zaporozhians, lest it merely prolongs the suffering of the unfortunate soul who chooses to play as them.
    i will well look into it , these stats are unchanged by me so far , my main aim at the moment is taking the game to a 1.31 english version which i am close to and has a host of new units ,the main work was getting this mod stable for a full campaign{which i seem to have done as other versions are notoriosly unstable i have found} but i will definatly give the small factions a cash boost as a first step to see if that helps {prob double the cash}then you might have a chance of grabbing some rich citys, try playing on med or easy campaign {alex is even harder} or try a larger faction for the moment but as i said i will address it, stay tuned think of this mod as an evolving beta of what could well turn out to be one of the best mods for rtw {my planned end result} new changes soon G
    Last edited by GRANTO; November 17, 2011 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidSheepLegion View Post
    Any advice on how to install this to work with steam version of alex?
    sorry mate uv beat me this time , iv never played it on steam can anybody help this guy out?

Quote Originally Posted by GRANTO View Post
    i will well look into it , these stats are unchanged by me so far , my main aim at the moment is taking the game to a 1.31 english version which i am close to and has a host of new units ,the main work was getting this mod stable for a full campaign{which i seem to have done as other versions are notoriosly unstable i have found} but i will definatly give the small factions a cash boost as a first step to see if that helps {prob double the cash}then you might have a chance of grabbing some rich citys, try playing on med or easy campaign {alex is even harder} or try a larger faction for the moment but as i said i will address it, stay tuned think of this mod as an evolving beta of what could well turn out to be one of the best mods for rtw {my planned end result} new changes soon G
    First things first, getting the mod off the ground is the first priority. Once this is occomplished, then worry about the minutia and the fine points.

That being said, something to consider for the future would be adding a function I found in RS (the first one, 1.6, I think) inwhich, when you captured certain capital cities it allowed you to distroy a treasury building and steal the cash. Depending on the faction, it was usually quite a large amount. Is there an easy way of adapting that part of RS to this mod sometime in the future?

Historically, this era was infamous for armies sacking cities. You might as well make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeopterix View Post
    ... you can recruit only mercenaries (taking your two generals, with whom you start the campaign, and start giving some laps and neighboring regions, there are good mercenaries in each), which are quite better than the troops available in the Scich and Mykytyn Rih (the two cossacks towns)... Can also leave home to fend for themselves, and become horde (the Cossacks can do it)... but hey, it depends on how you like playing... each has a style.
    Thanks Archaeopterix. I'll take your advice next time I feel daring. (After all, what right does one have playing the Cossacks if one isn't ready to employ some hair-raising tactics?) And it didn't even occur to me that the Cossacks could horde, but it makes perfect sense!

Cheers, Granto. Guess I'll just have to change my tactics and go on the move––rather than trying to cling fast to my homelands. I like Rick's idea of having a "city treasury" building that will yield spoils to conquerors, too. Of course, most important thing is to get the macro elements of the mod figured out, then you can worry about all the micro things. Rest assured that I won't soon be giving up on this fine mod. (Playing as Sweden suddenly looks very attractive, though. .) Anxiously awaiting version 1.31!
    Last edited by Cyprian2; November 17, 2011 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks Archaeopterix. I'll take your advice next time I feel daring. (After all, what right does one have playing the Cossacks if one isn't ready to employ some hair-raising tactics?) And it didn't even occur to me that the Cossacks could horde, but it makes perfect sense!
    Yes, and tries to make an alliance with the Nogai (Nokhoi Urda), in the first or second round ... generally, they tend to accept without problems (offer them: map location, trade rights and request map location and alliance... is a good start)... Then if you decide to turn your town tramp ... be two allied hordes sweeping across Ukraine... disaster!

Remember that the Cossacks are horde only when they lose their hometowns (the Schich and Mykytyn Rih) ... no otherwise.

So: To start I would not build anything in the cities, I would ally with the Nogais, recruit the largest number of mercenaries, and with everything ready (3-4 turns around) I would go to the Polish regions civilized cities to plunder.

Surely there must be a better plan, , but hey, it's an idea.
    Last edited by Archaeopterix; November 18, 2011 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeopterix View Post
    Yes, and tries to make an alliance with the Nogai (Nokhoi Urda), in the first or second round ... generally, they tend to accept without problems (offer them: map location, trade rights and request map location and alliance... is a good start)...
    I tried this in my first game--and the beggars turned on me after only three turns! (As did the Polish, who were no longer allied to me as a consequence of my "alliance" with the Nogais...) So I was fighting two unwinable wars.

Then if you decide to turn your town tramp ... be two allied hordes sweeping across Ukraine... disaster!
    Ha, ha--yes! I've decided that a third campaign is in order. It's hording time!

And thanks, Archaeopterix, for your great work on this mod!

some nice touches coming up in the next patch and heres a couple of them , new ram model {from chivalry total war thanks bulletproof} epic battle dust {when you see this dust effect with the gunpowder smoke and at night with the smoking torches its like yessssa}, even better rendering of enviroments , blood slazer 777 blood mod {blood only works on the fire sprite file never the less its as close as the rtw engine has come to adding blood} these are just a few things forth coming in the next patch {GRANTOZ 1.31 ENGLISH}
    Last edited by GRANTO; November 21, 2011 at 08:52 AM.

(...) blood {blood only works on the fire sprite file never the less its as close as the rtw engine has come to adding blood} these are just a few things forth coming in the next patch {GRANTOZ 1.31 ENGLISH}
    ... I apologize if I upset ... but that's my charring.tga ...

is based on earlier work Slazer777 (the blood MOD creator) which I completed in another way. I have created another arrow to the blood, so that now both types of arrows, and bullets too, can splash with blood to their victims, and fire arrows remain the same (the only problem is that they do not burn their victims, but that's not be felt far in the field of battle)...

... early testing:

... testing the blood splash on victims:

well is allright... anyway they was in the Argentine Version (for OiM)... np .

greetings.
    Last edited by Archaeopterix; November 21, 2011 at 08:33 AM.